First clipless shoe. Terraduro or m200? Opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

First clipless shoe. Terraduro or m200? Opinions

I just bought my first clipless pedals, some VP VX trail race for sale at Jenson. Now looking for a paire of clipless shoes.

Ive narrowed it to Giro Terraduro and Shimano M200. Actually, i am not doing lot of hike a bike. I know the issue with giro's but looks like the compagnie is backing their product.

I would like your opinions on those and also on VP VX pedal has well.

mtbr member
    Have you considered flats?

jk

Fit & comfort are paramount IME. Both of those shoes look pretty good, I'd get the ones that feel the best on my feet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

First clipless shoe. Terraduro or m200? Opinions

Flat is what i have presently, V12. But wanted to give clipless a try. Not much downhill here

mtbr member
    I was completely joking about the flats, it seems like all you have to do is mention the word "pedal" around here and you'll get at least a dozen responses telling you why you shouldn't go clipless.

mtbr member
    I picked up these.

Teva Pivot Clipless Mountain Shoes > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA

I've had more shoes than I can remember and those are comfy, stiff enough, well ventilated, great for walking, and cheap. These replaced expensive Five Ten VXI clipless that the sole started to come off of. Thought about Terraduro but the price on the Pivots was hard to resist. Very happy with my choice. Fit is pretty similar to Five Tens.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I hope you're getting a deal...$180 retail is lot to spend on shoes if you're not sure you're gonna like it. I bought cheap Shimano shoes on clearance for $40, I think. I was glad I did. I ended up taking the SPDs off the MTB and riding my fixed gear with them for a while, then switched it to toe straps so I could wear normal shoes again. FWIW, though, the shoes fit fine, were comfortable, and held up well through a couple hundred miles.

Not to scare you off, though. Out of over 100 racers our last race I doubt there were 3 on flats. Most people that try it seem to stick with it.

unrooted
    I have the M089 which uses the same sole as the M200 and I'm quite impressed with them, the only downside from what I've read is the ratchet breaks easily so I've just been careful with it.

I've been riding clipless for 20 years, so I'm quite used to it, I also ride flats. If the trail is really techy I prefer flats, but if the ride is really long and relatively mellow I prefer clipless.

The Terraduro looks like a great shoe, and if the M089 wasn't so much cheaper ($90 from wiggle.com) I probably would've tried those. Just make sure you get the ones with the date stamp inside the shoe. . .

Come on, dare me!
    I got the Shimano M163 lately and I'm very happy with the fit and construction. I haven't had time to try them yet (too much snow) but for such "affordable" shoes, I'm impressed. If these are your first clipless shoes, maybe you can consider going for the M089, which share a lot of characteristics with the M163 and M200 and are selling for cheap (unless you want/need the malleolus protection). Anyway, my best advice would be to try both brands and, as much as possible, all three Shimano models. Fit is the most important aspect of any shoe, and the only way to make sure that a shoe fits is to try it.

Robertson
    I too have the Teva Pivots mentioned above. I like that they are walkable, and give me more purchase on my pedals when not clipped in. Also, if I'm doing some techy riding and want to use flats, I can just take the cleats off and use them with the flats (purchase isn't quite as good as with a dedicated pair of 5-10s, but is still sufficient)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Careful going too cheap. I have had my Bontrager "Cheapie's" for 3 years now. Just bought a pair of Terraduro's. I bought them straight from Giro. Yes, you have to pay full retail but your garaunteed to get the new stock. I called Jenson and CC and they acted like they had no idea there was a problem with the shoes.

The reason I went with the Terraduro's is that they have a Vibram sole that is flat like a skate shoe. This is important when I have a foot uncliped heading into some rough stuff. I have XTR trail pedals and Im hoping that combo will allow me more confidence if I cant get fully cliped in time. My Bontrager's are like having tap shoes on at these times. Not to mention any sort of hike-a-bike with the Bontrager's is like walking on ice.

I just got the Terraduro's and am still wearing them around the house to get the feel of them. They have a lot of room in the toe box which takes some getting used to. Make sure to go a size up as they do run small. I found this out the hard way and had to exchange.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Never tried the M200 but am now riding with the other new one from Shimano one step down the ladder the M163. Great shoe wit decent stiffness but stays comfortable at the same time, walking is also good enough (I even do my supermarket shopping in these. I went 1/2 a size up with these, 1 size bigger was too big for me. I have the white color one so after now 4 winter months of usage they are starting to discolor a tiny bit, but that would probably happen with every white shoe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Settle my self on the M089. Really cheap on CR. Have tried the Terraduro, M163 and M089 in store and found the Giro to stiff at the toes and to much curvy. Shimano's were perfect, but found the M163 less beautiful and much more expensive.

unrooted
    I like my M089, they work great!