Finding a kids helmet that doesn't...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Finding a kids helmet that doesn't...

...look like it was inspired by a cartoon.

I'm trying to find a helmet for my eight-year-old and the only thing that we can find looks, well, juvenille. He wants something like mine (Bell Sweep R), plain and functional. The circumference of his head is about 21-1/2", and most of the sizing charts that I've seen for adult helmets put this in the "small" category. I just wondering if an adult-sized helmet would work, I'm concerned mostly about the strapping system. He's got a bmx-style helmet, but his head would roast this Summer under that soup pot. Anybody out there have experience with this? This best I've come up with thus far is the Bell "Trigger", it's a good looking "roadie" inspired helmet but it's just so darned gaudy...it's either stars-and-stripes or, flowers. Thanks!

Freshly Fujified

Not hard to find

My kids first two helmets were from Wal-Mart. One is a Schwinn, the other a Bell. The Schwinn was blue with some red and silver stripes to it. It fits a child 9-12 yrs old. The Bell is red and has a black spider across the top of the helmet and fits a 6-9 year old. Bottom line-you can find them in Wal-Mart, sporting goods stores, LBS, and ebay for less than $20.00. In fact, I'm putting my kids hemets up there soon, as they have new ones. PM me if you're interested. Excellent condition, cleaned and disinfected, $10.00 shipped.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Jan 2004
    Someone did a post awhile back regarding painting their helmet, from what I remeber his looked very nice. I have a 1 year old and I found a infants helment on sale for $10, the only problem was that it was orange with dump trucks and bulldozers on it. That might work if I had a boy but not for a little girl. So I am painting it pink with spray paint. Just make sure you mask off all of the styrofoam because from what I have heard from this site the paint can breakdown the foam and make it useless.

Dan

those are Rollercams...
    Definately check eBay. I picked up a NIB Giro Semi for my 8 year old 2 weeks ago for a whopping $7.97 With shipping he has an awesome helmet for under $20 bucks. I AM NOT affiliated with the seller, just passing along a good deal.

Here's the link to one, they've got 4 auctions going, 2 white, 2 black.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giro-Semi-Helmet...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by WTB-rider; 05-08-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I had good luck with a Giro - don't remember the mode off hand. Looks like a normal XC helmet with flames!
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Was in the same boat a few months back. I found a decent Schwinn one at Target for my 7 year old. Also try Performance if you have one near by.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have you checked out the Louis Garneau helmets? They make youth helmets that look a lot like the adult helmets. The also make children's helmets that are cartoonish.

www.louisgarneau.com

Look at the Summer 06 Junior Cycling helmets.

The youth helmets are the Ruckus and Grunge-X.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbsantacruz
    from what I have heard from this site the paint can breakdown the foam and make it useless.
    Spray paint will make the styrofoam disappear .
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Bell Cognito

My 9yo is on his second Bell Cognito. Downsized adult-looking helmet.He destroyed his first one in a crash. The newer ones have a dial adjustment in back just like the adult Bells do, and fits great. Not too flashy or plain and several choices of graphics.

In between the two Bells he had a Louie Garneau Grunge. Looked pretty nice, but secures with a ring inside that goes around the head and adjusts with a dial. My kid had problems with the ring causing hotspots/headaches. Also the ring is attached to the interior of the helmet primarily with velcro patches that become detached causing shifting of the shell.

He loves the Bell Cognito though.

Pocket Pool Savant

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Bell sizing

I inadvertently bought a juvenile helmet about 5 years ago from a LBS going out of business. I didn't notice until I opened the box and it was printed on the instructions. I called Bell and the lady told me that all Bells are manufactured the same. The only difference is that the LG childs helmet is an Adult Med and the childs Med is an adult small. So, it sounds like Jr. can have that adult helmet in a Small.

She said that on some models, the straps are a little shorter, but all other differences are cosmetic and packaging.

I rode that helmet for 3 years and still have it as a loaner.

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

mtbr member

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by mcseforsale
    I inadvertently bought a juvenile helmet about 5 years ago from a LBS going out of business. I didn't notice until I opened the box and it was printed on the instructions. I called Bell and the lady told me that all Bells are manufactured the same. The only difference is that the LG childs helmet is an Adult Med and the childs Med is an adult small. So, it sounds like Jr. can have that adult helmet in a Small.

She said that on some models, the straps are a little shorter, but all other differences are cosmetic and packaging.

I rode that helmet for 3 years and still have it as a loaner.

AJ
    That's what I'm looking for! I looked at their (Bell's) sizing chart and he should be able to wear the adult small. If the shell is the same as the kid's med. then we're good to go, I'll just have to trim the strapping down...something I usually have to do anyway.

Thanks to everyone for responding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    ...look like it was inspired by a cartoon.

I'm trying to find a helmet for my eight-year-old and the only thing that we can find looks, well, juvenille. He wants something like mine (Bell Sweep R), plain and functional. The circumference of his head is about 21-1/2", and most of the sizing charts that I've seen for adult helmets put this in the "small" category. I just wondering if an adult-sized helmet would work, I'm concerned mostly about the strapping system. He's got a bmx-style helmet, but his head would roast this Summer under that soup pot. Anybody out there have experience with this? This best I've come up with thus far is the Bell "Trigger", it's a good looking "roadie" inspired helmet but it's just so darned gaudy...it's either stars-and-stripes or, flowers. Thanks!
    My daughter has a Bell that fits well and looks much like my adult model with a visor. It was $10 more than the others. I paid the price because we usually spend money on brain and body activity stuff before a lot of other stuff, and then there are the looks a daughter can give her dad.

Rollin' a fatty
    The Giro Flume and Phantom series are good alternatives

Flume

Phantom

me.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not sure about this year, but in the past Specialized made some decent kids helmets that looked good.

Feb 2006
    Try the MET Crackerjack, I recently brought one of those because I have a 55cm head (which is 21.6"). It should be good for 52 - 57cm heads. It had superior vent holes to a similarly priced Giro I tried. And it looks pretty cool - the silver/black matches my bike!

Sorry couldn't find the MET website for you, here is the only pic I could find on the web here: the colour design on my helmet is different to the one shown.

found another pic:

Members who have read this thread: 0