FF Helmet: Bell or Giro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

FF Helmet: Bell or Giro

I have been looking to pick up a FF for sometime. Right now I am using a Giro Hex and have been happy, but the rocky terrain and aggressive riding I would like to have better protection.

So I am looking at the following:

Bell Belistic/Sanction (15 vents)

Giro Remedy (14 vents)

Here are the questions,

How is the fit, which one is more likely to fit better, I may be able to try on the Bell Drop locally, is it similar?

How is the cooling on both?

Wait for me!
    I love my Remedy, still gets a little warm but not nearly as bad as my DOT MX helmet. Never tried the Bell, but looks like a solid helmet. There's good deals on last years Remedy online, the zombie design is sick.

biking is fun
    Well since bell bought out giro it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

I would try to try them all on and see what feels best.

I have tried them all on and here is my take on them.

Bell bellistic - my personal favorite. only full face that fits my long narrow head. Pretty light weigh but has the least protection.

Bell drop - really good quality. softer pads than giro. the same shape as the remedy but due to the softer pads it fits barely larger since the pads squish out.

Giro remedy - fits a lot like the bell but firmer pads. really popular helmet

So if it fits your head i would go for the bell or giro.

If you have a narrow head then go for the bellistic. Also for reference the bellistic fits inbetween the medium and large drop/remedy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Which one will fit better? We don't know.

Try to find one or both locally and try them on.

Or buy the brand that you know already fits your dome.

Moose Member
    I got a 2010 remedy recently and love it. It's very roomy on the ears and dosent heat up to bad. Love it!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Helmets are like shoes... You have to try them on, and some have more padding than others.

Saying that, The Remedy fit me better than the Drop. The Bellistic isn't an option for me since it seems so minimal in it's level of protection compared to other full-face bike helmets out there. Even the Troy Lee D2 feels like it lacks enough "girth."
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

CoolArrow
    Definitely try them on. Had the Drop, it was stolen so I bought a Remedy. Remedy feels more substantial all around, though not quite as comfortable at first (was tight, but now is broken in). I would get the Remedy again. The Bellistic seems scary...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fox Flux helmet is good too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Which one will fit better? We don't know.

Try to find one or both locally and try them on.

Or buy the brand that you know already fits your dome.

Do you have any suggestions for Austin? I know that BSS used to carry a few, but not any more. Performance has the Bell Drop, but that is about all I could find. Most have said you have either a Bell shape or Giro shape, so I thought that Giro would fit me better, but most here appear to have had mixed results.

Thank for all the suggestions. I will stick with the Drop or Remedy.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Do you have any suggestions for Austin? I know that BSS used to carry a few, but not any more. Performance has the Bell Drop, but that is about all I could find. Most have said you have either a Bell shape or Giro shape, so I thought that Giro would fit me better, but most here appear to have had mixed results.

Listen to the advice already given you. You shouldn't decide what you're going to get before trying them on. No head is the same size/shape and the same goes for helmets. Go. Try. Some. On.

mtbr member
    Definitely go try them on before buying. Get one that fits snugly, but has no pressure points. The remedy just felt too wide for my head, so I didn't get one. I was bummed out from it. Ended up having to get a D2 at like 3 times the price for the same amount of protection because it was the only one that fit. The wife was not all that happy that day. Go with a bike specific helmet for sure though. To me most full moto helmets are a bit too heavy and make me feel like a bobble-head doll. I wouldn't worry about DOT vs Non-DOT all that much. DOT is kind of a BS rating anyway. The Dept of Transportation doesn't approve or disapprove of any helmets, nor do they sign off on them. They don't even accept products for testing purposes. Helmets having DOT stickers are more of a marketing point from companies than anything, really.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel

Hey man-
    Yeah, BSS carried the Deviant (defective, shell came out of the helmet) and the Bell Drop last year.
    There is a Moto shop over at 183/burnett ish that might have some 661 stuff. IIRC, they fit a bit slimmer.
    I have a Giro Remedy L you can try on. Hell, you can even take it to Performance and try them on side-by-side, just let me know...that is what I did last year. Ordered the Deviant at BSS, the Giro on Sierra Trading Post and the Bell at Performance. I got them all in the same place and tried them on repeatedly..settled on the Giro.

As for the Bell/Giro shape thing...FF is really a whole new breed. I have worn both brands, but the Bell fit me better in an XC lid.

Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Go. Try. Some. On.
    Yep. FF are very hard to find in Austin, but you have at least two options.