FF Helmet- Mtbr.com

Thread: FF Helmet

mtbr member

FF Helmet

I am looking for a girly pink full face helmet...
    I am unable to find a "bike" full face that is girly, I have started looking at MX helmets.
    Would these be too heavy?
    Are there any negatives to going with an MX helmet vs one for downhill?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Have you taken a look at some of the offerings from THE?
    http://www.the-industries.com/dh-405.html

mtbr member
    Pink and Purple, is that girly enough for ya?. And it happens to be one of the very best FF helmets made.

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/ca...oducts_id=2213
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Plauscha
    I am looking for a girly pink full face helmet...
    I am unable to find a "bike" full face that is girly, I have started looking at MX helmets.
    Would these be too heavy?
    Are there any negatives to going with an MX helmet vs one for downhill?

Thanks
    Unless you are riding very fast and/or exceeding the protection level of a DH helmet, I would stay away from the moto category. They won't protect as well for slower speed falls (the firmer foams won't compress as efficiently under lighter forces when compared to a DH helmet). When I say slower, I'm talking 20-30 MPH vs. the 40-50+ MPH impacts that moto helmets need to be able to absorb. Couple that with the added weight of a moto helmet and you are creating the potential for greater forces to be applied to your neck.

P.S. Neck braces are good whether you are using a DH or moto helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Unless you are riding very fast and/or exceeding the protection level of a DH helmet, I would stay away from the moto category. They won't protect as well for slower speed falls (the firmer foams won't compress as efficiently under lighter forces when compared to a DH helmet). When I say slower, I'm talking 20-30 MPH vs. the 40-50+ MPH impacts that moto helmets need to be able to absorb. Couple that with the added weight of a moto helmet and you are creating the potential for greater forces to be applied to your neck.

have there been any empirical tests to prove this statement? I understand the differences between the ATSM and DOT standards, but I've heard your statement many times but never have I seen any actual data other than "well, the standards are different so it must be true". Not razzin' you, I just want to know as I'm in the market for a FF helmet too and I've been looking at the Rockgardn Blacklite specifically due to its price and its adherence to the DOT standard as opposed to the ATSM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There is definitely info out there. You will have to do some searching, but you will come across both scientific studies as well as personal impressions. In terms of impact protection, I think you will find that the moto lids will protect you as well as ASTM DH helmets for smaller or slower impacts, but the general impression is that you will probably feel them more. This is most likely due to the fact that the shells are thicker and the foams are more dense, thus the shell won't deformas easily, and the foams won't compress as easily. These are both good things when it comes to high speed or high force impacts where a softer shell would deform too easily and the softer foams would reach maximum compression before the force of the impact had been dissipated to a safe level.

In the world of snowsports and "normal" bike helmets, many tests have found that in-molded or co-molded helmets, where a thin shell is molded together with the impact absorbing foams in one step, absorb typical impacts more efficiently than designs where the foams are glued into a thicker shell that is molded separately.

If you want a high level of protection designed for DH, skiing, or snowboarding, without the overkill or weight penalty of a DOT lid, Check out the POC Cortex DH. Those guys are taking a really unigue approach to helmet design. They are working to mimic the heads natural impact absorption characteristics. I think that will be my next helmet. I've thought about a DOT lid, but for me right now, I just don't think I would benefit from the DOT certification. This is a personal choice for me, not necessarily a recommendation for others. Perhaps as I reach the next level of riding in terms of speed, aggression, and terrain I may rethink my personal need for more protection. It should be said that I take protection very seriously for myself and my wife, ASTM FF helmets, Leatt braces, knee/shin guards, elbow guards, and core/spine protection for all gravity riding.

mtbr member
    All good info.
    I am not convinced a MX helmet is less safe at slow speeds. I have grown up around motorcycles and dirt bikes, and most times I have hit my head is at slow speeds... Possibly slower than I fall on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Plauscha
    All good info.
    I am not convinced a MX helmet is less safe at slow speeds. I have grown up around motorcycles and dirt bikes, and most times I have hit my head is at slow speeds... Possibly slower than I fall on my bike.
    I never said less safe, just less efficient at absorbing lower force impacts. Think of it like this, a pillow is a pretty good cushion if you roll off of your bed and fall onto it, but it would suck at absorbing a serious impact. You could fall from a second floor height onto a stack of cardboard boxes without injury, with proper technique of course. The stack of boxes would be just as safe for the fall from your bed, but wouldn't absorb the impact of that fall as well. Most of us would choose pillows to land on. I hope that makes sense, it's still really early.

check your six
    Thank you Godfather for being the one to FINALLY provide some sort of an educated response to the "speed of falling" question concerning MTB v. DOT helmets. Most people take things too literally without "thinking". What you stated makes perfect sense and again,..thank you.
    ~Sodak
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Glad it made sense to someone at least. 7am and a busy morning schedule wasn't super conducive to clear thought.

I fully believe that each and every rider needs to make the decision as to which will be the most appropriate helmet for them as an individual. There is no doubt that for some a DOT helmet is clearly a necessity. There are obviously other factors that are equally important. An ill fitting helmet, regardless of certification will not protect as well as one that fits properly, and this is different for everyone. Head shapes vary much more than helmet sizing within a particular brand or two.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Anyone looking for a FF helmet right now should take a long hard look at Kali. I had the chance to see them in person at the Race for Tara and as I was talking to the rep I thought I was holding a MTB helmet thinking "wow, this is lighter than the new Troy Lee" and then he said "that's our DOT helmet. Check out the MTB one". Holy [email protected] they are friggin' light! I was blown away by how light they are.

http://www.kaliprotectives.com/bike/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've heard good things about Kali, but I haven't had an opportunity to check them out in person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Anyone looking for a FF helmet right now should take a long hard look at Kali. I had the chance to see them in person at the Race for Tara and as I was talking to the rep I thought I was holding a MTB helmet thinking "wow, this is lighter than the new Troy Lee" and then he said "that's our DOT helmet. Check out the MTB one". Holy [email protected] they are friggin' light! I was blown away by how light they are.

http://www.kaliprotectives.com/bike/

Nice looking helmets - would be interested in what the actual weights are. Lighter then a TLD and DOT / CPSC certified..........

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is The Site Updated Because It Looke Like It Was Talking About The 2008 Model Year

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    For anyone willing to actually read here are test standards for Snell and ASTM

http://www.astm.org/Standards/F1952.htm

http://www.smf.org/stds.html

http://www.smf.org/articles/dot.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    I never said less safe, just less efficient at absorbing lower force impacts.
    So I talked to some docs at work, some who work with TBI patients... They seem to think there is no reason not to go with MX. I can't really explain the science of it, because they were way to techy for me. But basically that the stiffer mx protects at a different way but while just as good at low speeds, even better at fast.

Glad to Be Alive
    Just quit being a p u s s y and ride faster so you can take advantage of a MX helmet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0