A few(hundred) helmet cam questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A few(hundred) helmet cam questions.

Nah, but I feel like I have that many!

I want to accomplish a few things, but I'm not really sure I'll be able to, so these are my questions.

I love the POV1, but I really want to be able to hook up 2 cams. One facing forward, the other back. My initial thought was to buy 2 GoPro's, and then next year when I have the money buy 1 POV1 and sell a GoPro. Now I'm thinking this won't work though, because they'll have different resolutions, and I won't be able to edit them together. Is this true?

My next question is if I go with the GoPro's, are they able to use a larger SD card? I can buy 8gig SD cards for dirt cheap right now, but the website only makes mention of using a 2gig card. I know the POV1 is capable of an 8gig card.

Next. The angles of the lenses seems to be all over the place. What is the best? The new POV1 is 110 degrees while the two GoPro's are 170 and 54 I believe. If I went with the GoPro, I would probably just get one of each I guess to have the best of both worlds.

Last question is do I just suck it up, save up my money and buy one POV1 when I can, and if I choose, save up and buy another one later? The only thing I'm worried about with the POV1 is that technology changes sooooo fast, that in a year or two they'll have a new badass POV1 that does HD for the same money. The GoPro's are cheap enough that I don't think that's even a concern. Help!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    you can bring the video from different sources and resolutions into editors such as Pinnacle Studio 12 plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    I really want to be able to hook up 2 cams. One facing forward, the other back.
    What I do sometimes is to ride the trail twice, each time with the camera in a different position. I then edit the clips later so the camera view in the final film changes from front to back over the obstacle (whatever it is) - so you can see the bike coming up to something, and then see it from behind.

As for the angle of the lenses, check out the videos on the V.I.O. site and the Go Pro videos on Vimeo and decide. That's really personal preference.

Best of luck,
    Bri

mtbr member
    I already have final cut express for editing.

What cam are you using Polar Bear? I'm not opposed to riding a trail twice, but for the price of the GoPro, I can easily swing buying two. I think that's probably what I'll end up with.

mtbr member
    I already have final cut express for editing.

What cam are you using Polar Bear? I'm not opposed to riding a trail twice, but for the price of the GoPro, I can easily swing buying two. I think that's probably what I'll end up with.
    I'm using the V.I.O. POV.1

Best of luck,
    Bri

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My next question is if I go with the GoPro's, are they able to use a larger SD card? I can buy 8gig SD cards for dirt cheap right now, but the website only makes mention of using a 2gig card. I know the POV1 is capable of an 8gig card.
    You can use a 4GB SD card on our new 5MP cameras, but you cannot save a file larger than 2GB or it will corrupt the file. This will change in two weeks when we release an update patch for all of our 5MP cameras that will allow you to use a 4GB SD card and save 4GB files. That's 1 hour and 54 minutes of record time.

And our new 5MP cameras will last for 3 hours and 15 minutes of recording (straight or split up) when using Energizer Lithium AAA batteries. We're still testing run times with NiMH rechargeables but it is looking to be the same.

We're working on a second patch that will allow for 8GB SD cards and 4 hours of recording but the time will be limited by the batteries...3 hours and 15 minutes. No release date yet but we're gunning for FEB.

thanks!!! http://www.goprocamera.com

My spoon is too big!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPro
    This will change in two weeks when we release an update patch for all of our 5MP cameras that will allow you to use a 4GB SD card and save 4GB files.
    Will this work with SDHC cards, or just standard SD cards?
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPro
    You can use a 4GB SD card on our new 5MP cameras, but you cannot save a file larger than 2GB or it will corrupt the file. This will change in two weeks when we release an update patch for all of our 5MP cameras that will allow you to use a 4GB SD card and save 4GB files. That's 1 hour and 54 minutes of record time.

And our new 5MP cameras will last for 3 hours and 15 minutes of recording (straight or split up) when using Energizer Lithium AAA batteries. We're still testing run times with NiMH rechargeables but it is looking to be the same.

We're working on a second patch that will allow for 8GB SD cards and 4 hours of recording but the time will be limited by the batteries...3 hours and 15 minutes. No release date yet but we're gunning for FEB.

thanks!!! http://www.goprocamera.com

Where's the progress on this? When I purchase a GoPro will it come with a SD card? Should I buy a 4GB SD Card or an 8?

Thanks.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    The angles of the lenses seems to be all over the place. What is the best? The new POV1 is 110 degrees while the two GoPro's are 170 and 54 I believe. If I went with the GoPro, I would probably just get one of each I guess to have the best of both worlds.
    you might read my review on my site. to me 54 degrees is too narrow for most uses. 170 is way wide, but better IMHO.

90-110 degree field of view to me is best.

The difficulty with using a "self contained" cam is that most have no remote control (although the ATC5K and Tachyon do) so most of the time you end up just turning them on and leaving them on, so bring extra memory and batteries.

My 2 cents...
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    Where's the progress on this? When I purchase a GoPro will it come with a SD card? Should I buy a 4GB SD Card or an 8?

Thanks.
    x2

An update on where you are at in terms of card size would be great.

Being able to save to a 8GB card would seal the deal for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Datalogger

Thanks.

x2

An update on where you are at in terms of card size would be great.

Being able to save to a 8GB card would seal the deal for me.
    x3! OK, so I stopped holding my breath for the free patch . Still nothing on their website. Did their mtbr userid get revoked for spamming?

I just picked up a new Helmet Hero Wide 5MP anyway, and am deciding whether to buy a 4GB or 8GB card. It sounds like the 4GB card will work without the patch, although file size is limited to 2GB (GoPro's website FAQ still states 2GB card max, but their Helmet Hero product detail section references using a 4GB card, and a patch to allow a 4GB file size "coming soon"). I'm wondering if the 8GB card will work without the patch (presumably w/ the same file size limitation as with the 4GB card).

As for mbyard's question, I'm no expert but I think the only difference between an SD card and an SDHC card is whether they're 2GB or less or 4GB or more, respectively.

Thanks,
    winbert
    avitar grooming my future stoker :-)...

"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
    "My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
    "Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward

Members who have read this thread: 0