Favorite Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Favorite Shoes

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Favorite Shoes

I will be looking for a new pair of shoes soon and I am looking for a shoe with good durability. I know comfort is subjective as everyones foot is a little different.

...the wave won't brek
    So far I have had good luck with my Specialized Comp MTB shoes.

I have a flat wide foot and these shoes fit me great ( I know fit is subjective).

They seem to have stood up to two years of riding. There is little rock where I ride however so it is mostly mud that is th hardest on the shoes

Hope this helps

Good Luck,

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

As you said, shoes are rather subjective...

but... My favorite shoes are the Specialized BG Sport MTB shoes. VERY stiff sole for a good platform, good arch support, three velcro straps keep em tight and stable (no goofy buckles to break), set up to use laces in conjuction with the straps if you want (laces not included), can be used with toe cleats if you want, elastic padded sock type tounge prevents bunching, and a good solid no wiggle heal cup. All this of course is for me and my feet! I'd highly suggest that you find a Specialized dealer and try some on before pulling the trigger of course. You can order them off the Specialized website, but you'll pay full MSRP plus shipping. You can usually find em for a little less at a Spec dealer, and anymore sales tax is MUCH less than shipping. Anyway, the BG Sports should run right around $80 +/-. And, of course, there are other models both up and down as well. I've had a pair of these for two years and they are still going strong, not anywhere near time to replace them. The only thing they suck at is walking. But then any shoe that excells with clipless pedals usually isn't all that great for walking anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill
    ....I know comfort is subjective as everyones foot is a little different.
    Which pretty means you have to go out and try a few on. As crappy as Performance and Rei are, they have liberal return policies unlike an LBS. Which means if the shoes don't feel right on a ride you can return them for a refund or at least a store credit.

I spent a month trying on close to 2 dozen shoes, for me the best fit was Sidi Dom 5s but I couldn't afford them and i burn through shoes in 18 months (bowlegged so i rub the crank and frame <i>hard</i>). Second are the Specialized and then the Shimano.

If you are planning on SS and climbing steep hills I highly recommend either lace ups or strap w/buckle shoes, velco just won't stay closed for me after a few months.

Members who have read this thread: 0