favorite MTB clothing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

favorite MTB clothing

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting some new gear but not sure what I want. I wear bib's at times and baggies at times...what kinda (brand) do you guys wear?
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got the Endura 3/4 manpris. They keep my knees warm and offer more protection from road (trail?) rash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Skip it's all about....

personal preference, and what fits you! My personal faves for lycra shorts are Pearl Izumi Attack shorts. They fit me well, the pad is stable and they're durable. My preference for baggies are Fox Base shorts. I like the pocket locations, you can have crap in em and not feel it on the bike, and I like the way they fit. But the pad does tend to shift a little under some circumstances, but not enough to cause any problems for me.

The biggest thing is finding stuff that fits YOU! Manufacturers vary so much in sizing that it makes it really tough to recommend clothing to someone else. It's like shoes, and really annoying because it depends on the manufacturer and where the stuff is made as to how it fits. I've had shorts in every size from L to XXL. It just depended on who made them and where as to which size fit!

Anyway, for my money, Pearl and Fox make some of the best stuff going, and they seem to run pretty true to size. I don't wear bibs so can't really make a recommendation there.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    I usally wear some baggy shorts from Wal-Mart. I have a pair of Pearl shorts, no pad though they are pretty nice, but no different than the 5$ Stater shorts from wally world. Your butt gets used to it after a few rides, I don't even feel it anymore. Riding with a pad is just weird for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I like all kinds of stuff. For techy riding and lots of descending I like Oakley baggies. I like Fox jerseys. Pearl Izumi is okay. For lycra I dig Nike shorts.

They need more women's bibs, but I wouldn't wear them off-road anyway (too difficult on long rides).

mtbr member
    T-shirt and cheap baggy shorts from Walmart. I did finally get a pair of padded tights that i wear under my shorts sometimes..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I wear padded undies from Nashbar because they wash up well and are generally cheap.

My shorts are purchased at Kohls and are Columbia brand kayak shorts. I don't put much stock in real "biking" baggy shorts for $50+. Way too over-built for anything I do. Plus I don't like paying more for shorts than my jeans.

I have five MX jerseys from our adventure racing sponsor that I usually throw on. Nothing against GoFast, but a Target long sleeve, poly tee shirt is just as good when I don't want to be a billboard.

mtbr member
    Pearl Izumi pants, Sugoi tops, Fox baggies for me. None of them have let me down so far.

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    First, Oalkley Racing Jacket are the best sunglasses for me for biking, period. I haven't found a comfortable pair of baggies yet so I ride lycra w/ some mesh baggies... I found I like the fit of generic breathable, synthetic shirts as opposed to biking jerseys, although I haven't owned any mtb specific shirts.

The materials that are thicker/waffled tend of wick sweat BETTER for me than my thin/lined shirts. This is contrary to what I expected, and I'm refering to the Mountain Hardware as the thin and a North Face as the thicker.

side note,
    favorite thai food: chicken massaman

Apr 2007
    I bought two pair of '06 Fox Mid Ranger Baggies on clearance (~$35 each) for longer rides. I am really pleased with them. Otherwise, I just wear regular cargo shorts for day to day riding.

BayouBQ

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    my favorite brand in the "bang for the buck" category is pearl izumi. nice stuff, fits (me, at least) very well, and lasts a long time.

cost no object, in the shorts department, assos. way expensive, but unbelievably comfortable, especially on longer rides.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

i don't give a shift
    I wear no lycra with knobby tires. Hoss has some nice baggy shorts for a good price.
    blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ok... please excuse me for probably the dumbest question you guys will ever hear... but...

are you suppose to wear underwear under skin tight shorts with pads? sorry if im lacking the technical terms but i was at the bike shop the other day taking a look at various clothing and it just got me thinking. i would imagine that with shorts that have those pads, underwear is a must but then i heard about the various chamois creams and whatnot and got all confused...

/stupidity

mtbr member
    P.I baggies for me, I have some Nema Crown Jewels that are pretty awesome too. Jerseys are from REI, P.I. Sugoi, and Oakley. Sock Guy socks, and Lin socks too.
    luck favors the prepared.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthound
    ok... please excuse me for probably the dumbest question you guys will ever hear... but...

are you suppose to wear underwear under skin tight shorts with pads? sorry if im lacking the technical terms but i was at the bike shop the other day taking a look at various clothing and it just got me thinking. i would imagine that with shorts that have those pads, underwear is a must but then i heard about the various chamois creams and whatnot and got all confused...

/stupidity
    Go commando or go home.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

local trails rider
    are you suppose to wear underwear under skin tight shorts with pads?
    That is a frequent question. The answer is .... you are not supposed to wear underwear under them. The seams in regular underwear defeat the purpose of the pad.

Personally, I am OK on 2 to 5 hour rides without any padding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

What perttime said plus....

/stupidity
    The material that your underwear is made of totaly defeats the idea behind the pad and short material. The materials used in the pad and shorts are designed to wick moisture away from your skin to the outside and keep you dry. The problem with wearing underwear is that cotton (heavy cotton content if not 100% cotton in underwear) soaks up moisture and holds it. This leads to chaffing and other nastieness like saddle sores etc. So go commando under them shorts!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMT
    I usally wear some baggy shorts from Wal-Mart. I have a pair of Pearl shorts, no pad though they are pretty nice, but no different than the 5$ Stater shorts from wally world. Your butt gets used to it after a few rides, I don't even feel it anymore. Riding with a pad is just weird for me.
    I find a pad isolates my bottom from seams in uncomfortable places. I have 1 Lycra & 3 baggies. I prefer the baggies most times, but I'll wear the Lycra under some other layers in the winter. I bought a pair of PricePoint baggies really cheap. The draw string is uncomforatable & they are wearing out after only one season. I bought a pair of Canari baggies on sale at Dicks. They are very comfortable, but don't have many pockets. I bought a pair of Hoss baggies - comfort & pockets!
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Nema

Once you try Nema crown jewels, you will never wear anything else. They are light, fit like a glove and virtually indestructable.

Gravity Rides Everything
    i've got 3 pairs of pearl izumi shorts that are my usual. they're ok. the pads are a little thick for mtb use. if you get in and out of the saddle a lot on technical terrain it can be a little rough on the bum. i can get em at the shop i work for though... so...

mtbr member
    Are there any decent shorts that go below the knee? The only ones I've seen are the Race Face rally shorts and I hear they don't breathe so well.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    dickies shorts and tshirts
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I really like my Hoss shorts, but am I liking the Garneau shorts I picked up on clearance at my LBS, they seem to stretch a little more so I can feel like I can move.

mtbr member
    I always wear Under Armor compression shorts and Oakley Board shorts.

Top half usually sees a Tshirt or tanktop

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    dickies and white cotton t, cheap and simple

Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by specialized2
    I found I like the fit of generic breathable, synthetic shirts as opposed to biking jerseys, although I haven't owned any mtb specific shirts.
    I've actually found the same thing. I have had a couple of cycling jerseys, but they've actually been hotter than the basic wicking shirts I've gotten for $4-$12 at Kohl's and Target. At first I thought having the zipper to open and let my core vent would have been an asset, but it almost seems like the extra material that goes there between the zipper and reinforcement just adds to the heat retention. So my $4 synth shirts are actually cooler and comfortable than the $40+ jerseys I've tried.

As for shorts, I generally wear a pair of Nike shorts.. not quite swim trunks, but similar.. over lycra cycling shorts. Usually older shorts that may have tears or something where I can't ride them road riding become MTB under shorts.

Thread Killer
    cargo shorts and a t-shirt...but i'm really thinking of getting a jersey or an underarmor-type shirt solely for biking
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

evilbanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMT
    Holy chafe Batman!

conjoinicorned
    no one wears jerseys?

i can't ride without a good quality mtb/roadie club fit jersey (except DH of course )

the best quality jersey i've ran across is the twin six offerings.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Jun 2007
    i always wear jeans when i wear shorts my shins always get ripped up n usally just generic cotton tee shirt but some times four wheeler jerseys

mtbr member
    F*ck Clothes! I, like the boy loving 29ers, ride naked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    F*ck Clothes! I, like the boy loving 29ers, ride naked!
    thats taking the whole "go commando or go home" mentality a little too far dont ya think?

May 2007
    I always ride after work on weekends so i go in a greasy mechanics shirt, work shorts and always whitey tighties. Long sleeve mechanics shirts are great, they are light and keep you from getting scratched up.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Louis Garneau shorts, Fox Jerseys, Oakley eye protection, Bell Helmets, and Sidi shoes.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Nov 2006
    The nice thing about using the general wicking shirts from Target and such is I can also use them for hiking and kayaking. On a hot day on the water, it makes it more comfortable under the PFD.

mtbr member

C-Dale Liner and Soccer Shorts

I too was leary of padding and always wore a pair of Nike compression shorts under a pair of soccer shorts. I picked up a Cannondale liner at Dick's Sporting Goods for under $40, what a difference! The soccer shorts work well for me and I have never had them snag my saddle when moving around. I also use a saddle bag and/or camelbak so I don't really need pockets. As for the upper body, I wear a Under Armor type compression shirt (long/short/no sleeves depending on the weather) and a Nike "Dri-Fit" t-shirt over it. This combo works well at moving moisture away from the body and it keeps me comfortable. You can get either the compression fit or a loose fit according to your taste and you can get them relatively cheap at Target/Kohls/Wal-Mart .

mtbr member
    Carhartt shorts and a t-shirt. I used to wear padded shorts, as they wore out, my taint got more and more calloused.The seam doesn't even bother me anymore. I think it's kind of like recoil. My shoulder doesn't even feel it anymore.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Members who have read this thread: 0