Fanny pack/ bum bag reviews or thoughts.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fanny pack/ bum bag reviews or thoughts.

Thinking about picking up a camalbak palos low rider to replace my m.u.l.e. on shorter rides. If anyone rides with a hip bag on technical rides I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on comfort or stability issues before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

"If it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid."

mtbr member
    I wear a Dakine Hot Laps hip pack almost every ride unless I need more than two bottles of water. It can carry one bottle separately which is nice. The storage can carry my phone, tools, car keys, etc. I catch a little flack from my buddies but they're usually stoked if they need a tool that they don't have on a ride.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...FQiJaQodoKkGUQ

mtbr member
    I picked up a cheap fanny pack on amazon, gemgo mountaintop. I carry a windbreaker, tool, phone, keys, food and sometimes a water bottle. No real issues with it moving or bouncing around until I carry water.

I got it because don't like wearing a camelbak, but wanted to have enough room for a large phone and a place to stash clothes for changing weather

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have the Palos 4R. Lots of chunk here in Austin and it rides really well. You'll notice it bouncing on occasion, but it feels very stable and balanced. Great way to deal with humidity too, lot less back sweat!

mtbr member
    I have an old Wingnut Hyper 2.5 that I love. Difficult to find but at least a confirmation that the waist pack concept is superior to shoulder mounted. IMHO

mtbr member
    I have the Dakine Hot Laps, too, and I really like it. Doesn't move and I like it better than a sweaty back.

mtbr member
    I have an osprey model. It holds two bottles and plenty of gear but clasps in the front with a 1" or smaller bit of nylon which I find uncomfortable. I'd like to see a model that uses something like the classic EVoc hip wrap around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I REALLY wanted to like this concept as I don't carry all that much gear typically, but we do go through a lot of fluid in Phoenix. I tried the Osprey model with dual bottle mounts. When adding a bottle on the bike, that's enough fluid for many rides other than in summer.

Felt great in the store, with empty bottles. Soon as you fill the bottles, though, and try riding, it was awful. The strap had to be cinched super-tight to minimize shifting and it was extremely uncomfortable.

Back to a backpack.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my Dakine carries one bottle and gear and that's plenty of weight. I couldn't imagine two bottles. Mine if perfect for a 1.5-2 hour ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've been using the Palos 4LR for the last 3 weeks and really like it. It does have to be cinched tight but once I'm sitting on the bike I don't even notice it. It doesn't bounce around, in fact I really forget that it's there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Don't wear a fanny pack but if I did it'd be oriented so that it rides on my belly. I used to stick crap into my jersey pockets. Usually a cellphone, multi tool, and a water bottle. Well, that was a bit too much weight so it would pull down the jersey resulting in the neckline cutting into my neck. Not very comfortable when a zipper is rubbing against your neck.

then I managed to endo and land on my backside. Water bottle right into the kidney which didn't feel so well. I imagine the multitool would have felt much worse. I still will ride with the cellphone in the jersey pocket as it lays pretty flat along the body so hopefully it won't impale me.

If you're prone to crashing then carrying anything around your waist might not be such a great idea.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the responses. At first I was dead set on the Palos but after researching the hot laps I think I'm going to give the Dakine a shot. Had a chance to check out the palos at REI and it seemed a little bulky and the hose placement felt akward. I think with a little more dialing it will be the one.
    Not to sure about the bottle holder on the side of the Dakine though, luckily I have one bottle cage to work with. I was also thinking you could pack one of those foldable water bottles if you needed more water.

Thanks again for the feedback and enjoy the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. At first I was dead set on the Palos but after researching the hot laps I think I'm going to give the Dakine a shot. Had a chance to check out the palos at REI and it seemed a little bulky and the hose placement felt akward. I think with a little more dialing it will be the one.
    Not to sure about the bottle holder on the side of the Dakine though, luckily I have one bottle cage to work with. I was also thinking you could pack one of those foldable water bottles if you needed more water.

Thanks again for the feedback and enjoy the trails.
    I was skeptical about the bottle holder oriented on the side but when I'm riding I can't tell. The pack holds pretty well and distributes the weight. Good luck.

mtbr member
    This is also looks like a good option. Made in the USA, good features, and not too expensive.

Trail Buddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    My experience as well.

What size bottles are those with the Hot Laps using? Thanks.
    I carry a normal size bottle and it fits great. I think a larger bottle may be a bit too heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Check out the MountainSmith Tour Mountainsmith.com - Tour Lumbar Pack . Its the perfect size for me. Use it on each and every ride.

mtbr member
    I was recently looking for a pack replacement and found this... Judging from one fairly demanding ride, it works well with two full large bottles.

Quality, made in USA and price is hard to beat...

Galilee Aqua Fanny

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    SOURCE Hipster Hydration Belt - SOURCE Hydration & Sandals

Anyone try this one? Looks pretty nice.