Face Protection For Cold Months- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Face Protection For Cold Months

Hi everyone,
    I need to pick your collective brains on this little situation I've put myself in. When I get hit in the face by the cold wind, I hold my breath. This is an unconscious reaction - I don't even realize I'm holding my breath until I start gasping for air. (Breathing in cold air makes my sinuses sting/burn and I just don't like that.) This isn't too bad when I'm just walking to my car from the office (depending on how far away I park) but presents more of a problem when I'm cycling. The alternative to that is I cup my mouth and nose with my hands and breathe in "warmed" air but this is a wee bit difficult to do while cycling.

So, I've been looking at face protection and found waaaaay more than I anticipated. What do you use for face protection from the cold? (I was thinking something small-ish like an N-95 mask size.)

Please and thank you!

mtbr member
    I personally use Under Armour's Mens ColdGear Infrared Hood ($29). It's like one of those tactical head covers. Your head/ears/face is protected from the cold. It has worked for me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Face Protection For Cold Months-img_0006.jpg  

Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdale Felix View Post
    I personally use Under Armour's Mens ColdGear Infrared Hood ($29). It's like one of those tactical head covers. Your head/ears/face is protected from the cold. It has worked for me!
    I have the same. They were on sale at Costco (not exactly the same but 99% identical) for $5.99. I bought 2 and they work great. Not having the cold air make your face sting will stop the breath holding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    I have the same. They were on sale at Costco (not exactly the same but 99% identical) for $5.99. I bought 2 and they work great. Not having the cold air make your face sting will stop the breath holding.
    Thank you both. I'll look into that.