Eyewear- Mtbr.com

Thread: Eyewear

mtbr member

Eyewear

Any recommendations for a decent pair of riding glasses that won't break the bank?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I used to wear Oakley, then switched to Costa Del Mar and finally became tired of scratching, breaking and losing that kind of money on the trail. So I switched to ordinary safety glasses that usually run less than 10 bucks. I have them in dark green for bright sunny days, yellow for cloudy days and clear for nightime riding with lights.

Just a few examples are at the below website. Lowe's, Home Depot and hardware stores usually stock a variety.

http://www.sharpesafety.com/catalog/...ist.php3?ID=19

meow meow
    got some $5 safety glasses and they fogged up so bad 5 minutes into my ride i had to pack them away. maybe ill score some giros on closeout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I find that under the right conditions no glasses regardless of the price are fogproof. Just try wearing them during winter while also wearing a balaclava pulled over your nose and you will agree. And that includes the Oakley ($200) and Costa Del Mar ($150) glasses that I used to waste money on. Make sure the safety glasses you buy are rated for outdoor use in order to get maximum UV and UVA protection.
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of Native Half Jackets. Great glasses stay on well and you cant beat natives replacement policy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check out Tifosi Tyrants.

For the price, you get 3 sets of ventilated lenses, a soft bag, and a 'hard' case.

Quality is on par with my oakley minutes IMO.

dirtbag
    'nuther vote for Tifosi. Several models to choose from.

mtbr member
    Prescription Oakleys...and yes, I have destroyed a pair on the trail. Imagine how much more painful that is. Thing is the lenses were completely scarred when my face met a rock. The way I see it, is they saved my left eyeball so the price was pretty steep but worth it. At least VSP helps with the cost.

Requiring prescription sunglasses really limits your choices. I've recently ordered a new pair of prescription Oakleys. I absolutely loved my last pair, and the optics were amazing. I decided to go with the Minute 2.0s this time and am waiting for them to come in.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I ride with Oakley sweep VR 28's. Fit my face great, don't fog much, and cut thru the glare of sunlight filtering thru the trees in the AM. I have had them for years and only wear them on the MTB.

Old-newbie
    I got a pair of these for night riding:
    http://www.amazon.com/riding-glasses...6011559&sr=8-3
    They have AR coatings on both surfaces, which really improves clarity. Amazon also has a larger pair:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-...6011801&sr=8-6

I have tried several sunglasses, but they all suffer from back side reflections when I am in the sun. I am looking for something with AR coating on the back surface to solve that problem. My regular sunglasses have that feature, but they have glass lenses.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    +1 for plain old safeties. I got a pair at Wal-Mart for $5 with a light yellow tint and they work great. Look in the hunting dept; they've got a bunch of cheap shooting glasses there. They fog up pretty easily when you're not moving, but once you start rolling they clear up. Plus, they're so cheap you won't care if they get scratched (which inevitably will happen)

Let the good times roll.
    Right now, I switch between my Oakley Jawbone and X Squared. I've also used the X Metal XX and Crosshair in the past with good results. The Jawbone does a great job of keeping wind out of my eyes (almost as good as goggles) and the persimmon lenses are amazing for low light riding. The Jawbone's arms fit well under my full face helmet when I wear it, which is another plus for me. What I don't like so much is the limited peripheral vision to the side and bottom. I also don't care much for the plastic frame which I'm always afraid to break. I don't like wire frames for the same reason. That's why I wear the X Squared whenever I don't need my full face or maximum wind protection for my eyes. Those thick metal frames are ridiculously strong. Oakleys retail for a high price, but Oakley Vault stores sometimes let them go for a very nice discount. Ebay is good too.

Safety glasses work very well also. Thats what I used to wear for low light riding before I got the Jawbone with easily interchangeable lenses. I think fogging varies from person to person. I have only rarely had any glasses fog up, and they clear up instantly once I start moving at anything faster than a casual walking pace. Some people I ride with in the exact same conditions have to take their high-end bike-specific glasses off because they can't see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightman
    +1 for plain old safeties. I got a pair at Wal-Mart for $5 with a light yellow tint and they work great. Look in the hunting dept; they've got a bunch of cheap shooting glasses there. They fog up pretty easily when you're not moving, but once you start rolling they clear up. Plus, they're so cheap you won't care if they get scratched (which inevitably will happen)

This ^^

mtbr member
    Last summer picked up a pair of Serfas Pavement glasses for $50. They come with four sets of lenses. Pretty good bang for the buck-plus I love tortoise shell!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My wife loves her Tifosis and I just got a pair of Serfas Islas (multi-lens) for under $50 that I am loving.

mtbr member
    +1 Tifosi's work great as people have said. They are not too expensive compared to other high end glasses and they fit very comfortably. I lost a pair of fototec ventoux's last year, the next day I bought the same pair because I liked them so much.
    Last edited by monstertiki; 02-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbozo
    Last summer picked up a pair of Serfas Pavement glasses for $50. They come with four sets of lenses. Pretty good bang for the buck-plus I love tortoise shell!
    I also have a pair of Serfas glasses. They are great deal at around $50 including 4 sets of lenses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Im kind of a eyewear snob and own 2 pairs of jawbones and 2 pairs of flak jackets
    BUT
    I picked up a $20 pair of Sette glasses from pricepoint a while back as backup and am very impressed by the quality. Comes with 3 sets of lenses too.

if you have performance bike near you they have some nice house brand glasses for cheap

and i know some guys who use tifosi and like them. they are sub $50

personally id go with the settes
    The mountains are calling and I must go

R88
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm a Solar Shield kind of guy and you can get them Polarized. Not only are they cheap but extremely cool, you can see the envy in the eyes of your riding buddies.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    im kinda cheap, but cant you just buy walmart eyewear, instead of the oaklys and such?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    been using a 'made in china' $15 changable lens for few mths. love the clear n blue lens. but the plastic frame is too fragile. have multiple cracks n glued spot. recently the frame cracks agn. n its impossible to glue it back.
    just ordered my 'tifosi pave'. cant wait to try on them.

mtbr member
    I like Oakley Flak Jackets. They fit my face perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have a couple pairs of Oakleys, or I wear anon goggles with my fullface

Trail Ninja
    Anyone have any experience with Zeal goggles? I'm looking at their Link model line and I'm wondering if they aren't too big. I know their other ones are rather huge, since they're made for snowboarding and not for full face moto helmets.

I've only looked at Oakley MX and Spy Magneto and these Zeal Links blow them away in quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Numa
    http://www.numaoptics.com/

Unbreakable. I dropped mine on a steep slope. Atleast 50 riders ran over while I was searching for it. Pick it up, rinse off and good as before. The len's coating is scratched though (mud, sand, tires and shoes doesn't really mix well).

Won't break the bank and it comes with a few replacement lens.

turtles make me hot
    Wiley X Bricks with prescription. My dark polarized ones were pretty pricey, but I got clear ones from Safety RX. Very reasonably priced. I also keep the lenses coated with C Clear. It's stuff the military uses for glasses and scopes. They have a whole do not sell list to people we are at conflict with. Kinda cool.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my Smith Optics sunglasses. Mine came with 4 interchangable lenses for different lighting conditions. Good value in my opinion.
    http://www.smithoptics.com/products/...ike/Bike+Dirt/

A Baker St. Muse
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightman
    Yep, I use yellow shooting glasses too, I got them at a range for $5. For road biking, I usually just use my regular sunglasses, which are mostly-wrap-around style too.

As for fogging up, I just bought some "Cat Crap" but haven't tried it yet. I'll have to report back once I do.

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpc1
    I wear a pair of Native Half Jackets. Great glasses stay on well and you cant beat natives replacement policy.
    Amen!!!

I have Native Throttle and I use them everywhere I go!!

My Oakley Halfjackets are collecting dust!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    Amen!!!

I have Native Throttle and I use them everywhere I go!!

My Oakley Halfjackets are collecting dust!!
    I use Native Hardtop XP, they wrap a little more around and really protect from wind. Came with 60%/20%/clear lenses. Replace the rubber pieces every couple years for $10 and they will be glued to your face like new.

mtbr member
    +1 on Native. I have the vigors. Can't beat the warranty and the spare low light lenses, case, etc.

Also check their site and you can pick by "head size" which was great for me to see which glasses to buy (I have a big head and hate to buy without trying).

Members who have read this thread: 0