Eye protection- Mtbr.com

Thread: Eye protection

mtbr member

Eye protection

I ride quite muddy trails in the UK and I'm always getting mud in the eyes. I have a pair of plastic biking glasses and they didn't really help. Because although they did stop the mud getting in the eyes they also steamed up and got mud and water on them. Making it impossible to see. Does anyone know of some good glasses that clear very easily and aren't too expensive? ..Oh, and that look good
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe! :)

mtbr member
    Look at some of the Endura stuff. They do a clear lensed pair with an anti-fog coating. As for water and mud on them - that is why you are wearing them, no? To stop if getting in your eyes. If you want them to stay clear and clean, don't ride trails...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Uvex makes some safety glasses that are on the cheap side.

turtles make me hot
    I don't know if you consider these cheap, but I have a pair of grey polarized Wiley X sunglasses that come with adapters to turn them into motorcycle goggles. I also have a pair with clear lenses for night use. Mine are prescription, but some models with straight up sunglass or safety lenses come in around 75 bucks. I love em.
    I like turtles

Old Time 1310 DB4
    Not inexpensive by any means, but the best eye protection IMO are the Oakley SI Ballistic M Frame 2.0. They surpass ANSI Z87.1 standards for high-mass and high-velocity impact protection. The lenses are interchangeable and a wide selection of tints are available.

Class Clown
    I use a pair of AOSafety glasses. Alot of lenses will have an anti-fog coating, plus they have wipes you can use. maybe put some fenders on the front

mtbr member
    Cheers guys, i suppose if i'm gonna get some i might as well get a good pair ay? Yeah I'm thinking about getting some mud guards ..but i think most of them look a bit stupid. does anyone know of a good front mudguard? i heard crud catchers are good? thanks.
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe! :)

mtbr member
    Dont buy something inexpensive.. Although it may not harm your eyes, it will not protect either...

Helmetless Crasher
    For muddy/yucky days, I wear some HF safety glasses like these Yellow Lens Safety Glasses

They are cheap enough to be considered disposable, and you therefore do not have to be careful with them or worry about scratching them w/ grit when you clean them w/ some saliva and some shirt, or stuff them in a pocket/bag.

2 to 4 dollars each, meets ANSI Z87 standards for impact protection and available in yellow. smoke or clear. Low on style/cool points, though.
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 09-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    you can go get a wiggle pair for around $50 with 3 different lenses. I've found that they're alright but don't have multi coating so you get a lot of reflection if you wear the clear lenses at night (and are facing car head lights).
    OK starting point for decent protection but nothing flash.

I've now purchased a pair of rudy projects which cost a whole lot more (and are a whole lot better).