expensive or cheap xc helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

expensive or cheap xc helmet

will get an expensive one or just a cheap one from reputable brands?
    i think, no matter cheap or expensive, as long as its a trusted brand, it will at least be a good helmet.
    sometime after a bad crash, you need a new helmet
    so why get an expensive one? i dont think expensive helmet protect you better.
    anything wrong with having a bike that worth thousand over dollars and a helmet that worth sixty plus dollars?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Get the cheapest one that:
    1. Fits
    2. Comes in a colour you like

They're certified to all the same specs (well, there is some minor variance between brands).

Expensive ones look nicer, have bigger vents and appeal to people who automatically assume that $$$$ = better.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ivantcs
    i think, no matter cheap or expensive, as long as its a trusted brand, it will at least be a good helmet.
    anything wrong with having a bike that worth thousand over dollars and a helmet that worth sixty plus dollars?
    Get the helmet that fits you best, regardless of the price. The helmet needs to be comfortable so you will want to wear it, and stay in place for best protection in a fall.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Get the cheapest one that:
    1. Fits
    2. Comes in a colour you like

They're certified to all the same specs (well, there is some minor variance between brands).

Expensive ones look nicer, have bigger vents and appeal to people who automatically assume that $$$$ = better.
    i think more expensive one is lighter? but not much difference to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    more $$ sometimes means more airflow and lighter. Some people probably don't think either matters too much, but if you go out riding for hours upon hours, that small weight savings and ventilation is definately worth it.
    when i raced motorcycles, I used a cheap 100-150 helmet for 2 years and at the end of a race ( i raced enduros which sometimes can last 8+ hours) my neck and upper back would be really sore from the added weight. the next year i broke the bank and bought a top of the line helmet that was nearly a pound lighter. The difference was unbeliveable!

In the end, both will probably protect you the same. The real differnce if the fit and feel of a top shelf helmet, the same is true of a lot of gear. its all fairly safe, but if you want comfort and safe you gots ta pay!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ivantcs
    Generally in bike helmets more expense=more vents, more comfort, lighter.
    They all pass the same safety tests. I buy one that is expensive enough to get me a good fit and good coverage ($50ish for a Giro Hex) and no more. I replace my helmets every 2-3 years, after ANY crash in which my head contacts dirt, or when they start to show wear, whichever comes first (normally ends up being the "showing wear" at about 2yrs old since I wear mine daily and carry it with me).

I already rode that
    I have a Giro E2 that I like. Great airflow compared to my old Bell and you really can tell on those hot days.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

There's no app for this.

two rules to be aware of

1) shiggy's advice is bang on and...

2) all helmets' standards are the same, regardelss of price: http://www.helmets.org/standard.htm

Good luck, Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0