Ever wash your gloves?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2006

Ever wash your gloves?

Hey guys and gals, just wondering how often you guys wash your gloves. I've had mine for 3 years and haven't washed them yet. Kind of a good luck thing I guess. They smell like used hockey gear and I use them as kleenex while riding, but just toss them aside after my ride.

drunken pirate
    I wash mine whenever I wash the rest of my cycling gear. That translates to being washed every two rides or so. Washing them does not make them wear out any faster it just keeps them clean.

Tip: make sure you close the velcro before washing. I damaged an expensive pair of shorts when the open velcro caught on a seam while in the washer

Feb 2004

Wash em

I wash mine when they begin to get stinky. I do wash them on delicate cycles and add some vinegar...really, it helps kill the odors while keeping the dyes in the leather from fading.

bi-winning
    I wash mine rarely. not never, but rarely.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    I wash mine whenever I wash the rest of my cycling gear. That translates to being washed every two rides or so. Washing them does not make them wear out any faster it just keeps them clean.

Tip: make sure you close the velcro before washing. I damaged an expensive pair of shorts when the open velcro caught on a seam while in the washer
    Good tip on the velcro.

I tend to wash mine every couple of rides as well. It's pretty essential if I think I may have contacted poison oak on my ride.

mtbr member
    i wash them about every 7 rides because i dont like when they get stiff from sweat.

i also wash all new gear before i use it. most things come really starchy and irritate my skin a little bit until i wash them.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    maybe twice a year. and gloves are some of the quickest biking related stuff to unravel, wear, get damaged, what have you. i don't see where washing would not hasten their useful life span.

Save the Squirrels

Yuck

Remind me never to shake hands with any of you people until you take your gloves off and wash your hands.

mtbr member
    my previous pair of gloves (Fox Static) fell apart when i washed them. i wore them for like a year or more before i washed them so maybe thats why they fell apart, i guess the sweat, dirt, and snot were holding them together. putting them in the dryer also probably didnt help. so if you do wash your gloves use the gentle cycle and only wash for a short amount of time, and let air dry.

mtbr member
    i always use gentle cycle and low temp drying.

ive never had a pair fall apart from washing them. i bet yours died from abuse and the grime was playing the role of adhesive. ive washed my old Fox Sidewinders at least 12 times and they still have every stitch intact. the new ones i washed today look perfect too.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Master of None
    Umm, I didn't use to wash my gloves until last year. I got some kind of weird fungus growing on my hands and I traced it to my gloves. I started washing my gloves and eventually it went away.

I now wash them pretty much every ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan47
    Hey guys and gals, just wondering how often you guys wash your gloves. I've had mine for 3 years and haven't washed them yet. Kind of a good luck thing I guess. They smell like used hockey gear and I use them as kleenex while riding, but just toss them aside after my ride.
    3 years! You've got to be kidding. By now you've got to have a serious case of "athlete's hand."

mtbr member
    I find it easiest to just fall in streams.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I guess I must be the weirdo cause I wash them after every ride. I tend to sweat a lot when I ride and my gloves really stink after each ride. I just throw then in the washer and dryer along with my other clothes. They tend to fall apart after one year, but who cares they only cost like $20.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I hand wash my gloves on a regular basis and let them air dry... my current pair is going into their third season, are holding up well, and don't stink.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Just Joshin' ya!
    I wash my gloves in the gentle cycle and the line dry them about every 5 rides. If you forgot to wash your gloves and notice they are stinky, you can spray them with a little rubbing alcohol. This kill the stench and the bacteria on there and usually dries in a few minutes.

By the way, the best mountain biking gloves I have ever owned are not mountain biking gloves. They are made by mechanix wear and are used by professional auto racing teams. They are incredibly durable, have a nice tackiness and grip to them, protect well, and breath well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Fireball in the Night
    What are the odds of this coincidence?
    I haven't read a good Troll thread in Three years.
    everyone drives a Used Car

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    In the summer.. after every ride. In the winter.. when they start to smell.

Not washing them is just plain wrong

No good in rock gardens..
    Every 4 or 5 rides I chuck mine in the wash.
    Less isn't MOAR

I can't weld
    I'm another every ride washer. I've never had a pair of gloves fall apart.

Washing them will extend their life, just don't put them in the dryer. Line dry like all your other bike gear. The only material that does well in the dryer is cotton, and nobody uses cotton riding gear. It doesn't breath and it retains odors.

mtbr member

That's what wives are for!!!

My wife washes all my kit after every ride, you wanna get yourselves a good lady

CEB
    Who's riding today?
    All cycling apparel gets shoved into the washer after just every ride. Gloves, "Do-Rag", jersey and shorts. I wipe my face and brow with my gloves (Fox Mohave). Dang if they don't get stinky within hours! After washing they get throw into the dryer (or out on a line in the sun) and VIOLA, they are like new all over again. I have 4 pair that I rotate thru. Never had a glove fall apart from cleanliness.......

Beautitful day in losocal.......... GO RIDE while the many riders are shoveling "sorbet" from their doorstep.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I hand wash my gloves in the sink.. it's easier for me. Plus.. the black nasty ass water that comes off them doesn't get on any of my other stuff.
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Usually I just wait until they get really gross... about once a month or so in the winter. I will wash them with a separate laundry load for workout/cycling clothes. I don't put softener in it and I hang dry everything. I heard both strategies extend the life of the velcro and spandex.

SuperInstigator
    Once a month! I take mine once in their lifetime (at least 2 years unless I crash and bust em) to the laundromat and wash em with the rest of my clothes that I haven't washed in months.

You should have seen my Fox Digits that sat in the back of the Explorer for 3 weeks last summer. They went from black/gray to green/green.
    Last edited by tibug; 02-25-2007 at 12:02 PM.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Feb 2007
    For some reason, I've never even thought of washing my gloves, which is weird, considering a lot of friends consider me a germophobe bordering on OCD.

I still have the pair of gloves I rode on from 1986 through about 1997, in a box of helmets, race bibs, & trophys from those years. Luckily, for humanities sake, they appear to have fossilized. The delicately balanced volatile elixer of swamp mud, sweat, snot, blood, and other more unmentionable fluids would cause any biologist or chemical warfare experts gag reflex muscles to reach up their necks and throttle their brains. I'd throw them out, but I nailed the door shut behind me after exiting the room I discovered them in. That part of the house is dead to me now.
    Last edited by Brutal Cycles; 02-25-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Double-metric mtb man
    I wash my TLD XC's about every 3rd time I do my jersey and shorts or once a month. Hand wash in warm water, air dry. Never had any issues with things falling apart and I don't have to worry about "growth."
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I air dry my bike shirts and shorts when I wash them. Drying the shirts is usually no problem; you just hang them somewhere with good air flow. Shorts can be a little trickier. What I ususally do is hang them, inside out, from a clip type pants hanger, then hang that near a furnace vent, to ensure a good flow of warm, dry air over the shorts.

But I've had gloves get moldy smelling from air drying, so I ususally run them in the drier on "Low".

the bomb
    I put my gloves in a lingerie bag. I always close the velcro up, but they still seems to catch on things anyway.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Sep 2005
    No, I don't wash mine...

However, mine can stand up on their own and I put eyes on them and call them my friends

This is how it started...
    Mine only get washed when I get caught in the rain....

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    if my gloves make my hands smell a few minutes after taking them off, next time i get home from a ride, i just wear them with me in the shower. hand wash, then velcro them around the shower curtain rings with i'm done to dry them. they usually dry overnight.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Because I am !
    I guess I fall into the catagory of washing them as soon as they start to show any odor
    which in the summer translates to about every 3rd or 4th ride. Unless of course I get a
    bunch of that lovely WV swamp mud on them and it's into the nearest creek and then the laundry as soon as possible.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Jul 2006
    Wash them when they start to smell. When away from home on a riding trip my Dad and
    I usually rinse them in the nearest creek and then spray them with lysol. Good for several
    more rides that way.

Malibu

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I will usually bother washing my gloves when they're really stiff to put on. Sorta tells me they're dirty as hell and need some cleaning.
    ~ it's all good ~

life is a barrel o'fun
    Yikes, what do you guys have against cleanliness?! Buy a few pair, toss 'em in the hamper and wash along with everything else.

Hang to dry, never the dryer. I dry the socks but none of my other riding gear.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member

Gloves are always laundered

After every ride. I also wipe after I use the facilities. It is just simple hygene.

That smell is not just on your hands. It is on your upper lip AND in your pants.

B****es!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Yikes, what do you guys have against cleanliness?! Buy a few pair, toss 'em in the hamper and wash along with everything else.

Hang to dry, never the dryer. I dry the socks but none of my other riding gear.
    Never thought of getting multiple pairs of gloves...good idea I have multiple pairs of shorts, shirts, socks...why not gloves. Thanks for the tip

~~~~~~~
    i wash them once a week or so- i like to put my gloves on and off sometimes when i'm riding and sometimes that means i pull one on with my teeth. it i don't wash them it makes me sick, though its a good way to get the salts back.

Mar 2005
    I have three pairs in rotation and wash them all at the same time. I do handwash them. I don't know if that helps with their longevity or not.

i worship Mr T

no

when they get too rank i just burn them.

3 years? eeeeewwwwwww! no offense.

my gloves (of which i have 5 pr) get washed and thrown in the dryer after every ride.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 02-26-2007 at 08:10 AM.
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Feb 2004

Ewwwww!!!!!

3 friggin' years? For god's sake please don't ever ride in front of me. That is just NASTY!

mtbr member
    Only when they start to get really smelly. I had the most amazing pair of gloves, and then I washed them, only to take them out with one of the gloves having fallen apart. Since then I am afraid of washing gloves as I seem to have a hard time finding pairs that fit.

This post is a good reminder that you really don't want to shake hands with fellow cyclists while wearing their gloves. Years ago my mom decided that she wanted to borrow my townie to see if she might be interested in getting into riding again and for some reason decided that she should wear my gloves and helmet. I don't know why because it should have disgusted her not me, but I got way grossed out by it, and that was the day I washed my gloves...not sure what the lesson is here!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Camelback's too.

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk
    I put my gloves in a lingerie bag. I always close the velcro up, but they still seems to catch on things anyway.
    The lingerie bag helps keep the Camelback straps from getting wrapped up in everything, too.

B

Mar 2006

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bykhed
    3 friggin' years? For god's sake please don't ever ride in front of me. That is just NASTY!
    Yes, I am one with the glove. Actually, I'm kind of superstitious - I haven't been hurt riding since I bought these gloves, so I don't want to wash them. Maybe I'll just buy new ones and throw the old ones in my backpack for good luck. Don't worry, I scrub the skin off my hands when I get home.

Jun 2006
    Not washing is gross. Removeable full face liners are a must too

I wash mine while they're on like I would wash my hands. Just a little liquid detergent, rinse till water runs clear/clean and air dry. I am nervous using a washer/dryer

at first when I started up, I didn't wash mine for a while and got caught in the rain one day. I was squeezing pretty gross water out of my palms. Now I clean them as needed, 4-6 rides or so

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk
    That was going to be my tip.

As for why to wash them? Other than the fungus thing (that is truly disgusting) salt breaks down thread and fabric.

SuperInstigator

You're my Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me!

Don't ride in front of me either.

I use mine as a bandaid, tissue also, turniquet, an excuse to get out of the theater when watching an opera, to get people I don't like to go away, armor for my hand, as deoderant and air freshener (yea, I smell that bad and so does my room), as a method to look cool (not that I need any extra help), as a barrier between me and things I don't wanna touch, and occaisonally as a riding glove.... But I don't keep mine for 3 years. They either strangely disappear or fall apart before that. 2 years though. Ya, know for all you sickos who wash your gloves, your taking away the good bacteria. Bad bacteria? No such thing.

JK all, I wash my gloves if I don't shred 'em first.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    every time I remember... I don't wash them after every ride, but for sure... if they smell, they get washed...

Kind of a good luck thing I guess.

I wash mine before every race; once the season is in full swing is about every four weeks or so.

Kind of a good luck thing I guess.
    semper ad excelsum

Aug 2006
    Every three or four rides - Otherwise the snot gets too stiff.
    I soak em in the bathroom sink while I'm in the shower post-ride - use whatever handsoap is at the sink. Airdry.

Hup, Hup
    I also wash them every three or four rides unless they get muddy then it is after THAT ride. I just throw them in the washer on gentle along with everything else and then let ALL of it air dry. I'm on my fourth season with one pair.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member

I wash mine about once every 5-6 rides.

just hand wash them in a tub of warm water with some detergent. works really well and leave them out in the sun to dry off. gets them clean and dont have to worry about the velcro coming loose and ruining your other clothes. i have two pairs of gloves that i consistently rotate through. have had them for the last 5 years with no probs.

mtbr member
    I wash mine very few times during the season. And most of the time I wear them in the shower. I got new gloves for christmas so theyre nice and clean right now.
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

Totally, and to the max.
    hi Pam!

Richelle's pregnant.

Yay!

mtbr member
    Wash them. You can throw gloves and helmet pads into the wife's lingere bag, and toss them in on the gentle cycle w/ a little Clorox2 or something to kill off the bacteria.

For a stinky camelbak, a little dose of Wetsuit Cleaning Solution (available from your local dive shop) really does help. Those things can really get to reeking and seems like regular soap just doesn't kill the stank.

Forgot to wash my gloves before a 24hr race last summer, and every time I wiped the sweat off my nose I thought I was going to hurl...

Who are the brain police?
    Smell the glove.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

They turned me loose
    When they stink like a cast that's been on for 6 weeks. Mmmmmm, stinky cast smell.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosPirahna
    My wife washes all my kit after every ride, you wanna get yourselves a good lady

I's rather do it myself... having my clothes washed for me......that used to happen when i was 6

Mar 2007
    omg that so gross

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I've had to start washing mine at least once a week, but I'm finding it's pulling the grips off the fingers I'm down to only half the pads left on my left index finger as a result, so I'm going to have a find a brand which has them embedded into the leather to prevent this occurring.

Rolling
    I only wash mine when I wash my undies....That is after a ride where there is no TP and I have to wipe with my gloves.

Members who have read this thread: 0