ever ride with a particle mask?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ever ride with a particle mask?

I have an upcoming two day ride with friends in area experiencing some nearby forest fires. We planned the ride months ago. We are considering doing the ride, but wearing N95 particle masks to filter the smoke. Anyone have experience doing that?

mtbr member
    Was curious what an n95 was so I looked it up quick. It looks like that covers a large spectrum of types (unless I'm mistaken). I was thinking you'd definitely want something with a valve. Going just through paper would totally suck (no pun intended). Wondering what effectiveness of them is w smoke, I found one on eBay saying designed for biking in smoke... Crazy. I was going to post the link but it comes out stupid long search "wolf bike smoke mask".

Never tried one, but it's neoprene. Might be hot, but I think they all will be either hot or really restrictive for air.

Anyway... Thought it was neat so I'd pitch in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Riding with a N95 particulate mask is gonna suck. In fact most masks will suck as they restrict air flow to a significant degree. Unless you're moving at a slow pace I wouldn't recommend it.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    I can just throw out that I rode briefly in smoke that had blown in with a change of jet stream, from a fire several hundred miles away. It was just a light haze in the air, but you definitely smelled the smoke. They had issued an alert for people with breathing problems, and athletic activity. I was tuning up my bike and just taking it for a spin, but I could tell I wouldn't want to be huffing and puffing in that, much less anything thicker. A fine enough particle mask to filter smoke has to be pretty air restrictive, no?

mtbr member
    Def get one with an exhalation valve. They're cheap, so try it out beforehand to see how it works. Agree it's not going to be great.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have mask with neoprene. It blocks too much air flow for biking. It is meant for users who walk instead of biking. It also get hot fast

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've used these N95 masks in my workshop for decades. I pedaled to work this morning wearing one and was surprised it only caused a minimal degree of discomfort.

I posted a similar message in the Commuting forum. In that thread, Harold confirms a N95 mask could protect us from wildfire smoke. Believe me, I'd rather pedal in a smoke-free place, but we made plans and reservations with friends a long time ago. We may bail at the last minute. But, for the moment, the masks give our group comfort that nature did not foil our outing.

ever ride with a particle mask?-photo-aug-08-05-05-36.jpg

Rides all the bikes!
    Bare in mind a bunch of limitations with those masks:

-They only catch roughly 95% of the particles that are large enough. The small particles will still get through.
    -They don't filter out chemical compounds or more caustic gases. Carbon monoxide and nitrous oxides will slip right through.
    -They don't seal. You'll still get leakage around the edge.

In a post life I had some hazardous materials emergency response experience. In short, one of the things I have taken away from it is a minimum of a properly fitted half face respirator. Full face if eye protection is needed. I wear a full face when my allergies kick in sometimes when feeding the horses.

In short, I'd either wear nothing, or not ride. If you feel you need a mask, you probably shouldn't ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If people look at you funny, just yell CrossFit! They sell restritive masks specifically for training.i wouldnt try riding through active fire area as said, these masks just filter particulates, not fumes. But if its incidental smoke and dust itll prob be okay. I st be glad your not trying to ride the n China