Event jacket care- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Event jacket care

I have a Endura MT500 that utilizes Event fabric. Any recommendation on care? I cold washed on gentle and hung dried it. It says to cold iron it to rejuvenate the DWR finish. What does cold iron mean? (low heat?

AZ
    banned
    Iron on its lowest setting. turn garment inside out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

event care

I'd suggest the tech wash stuff, secure any velcro before washing and preferrably hand wash. They suggest washing after 10 uses (or maybe 10 "hard" uses).

I have a drysuit and several jackets of this stuff. It's a game changer.

mtbr member
    Instructions are to secure all zips/velcro/etc and cold wash with liquid detergent. Then rinse again. Air dry. Iron to reinstate the waterproof properties.

I was told under no condition to use any form of waterproofing wash - blocks the pores/channels in the fabric.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My understanding is regular detergent can by hydrophilic (water loving) and techwash should avoid that. Detergent is the original nanotechnology, with one end water loving end and one grease loving to pull things out of the fabric. I think I can see that with some of my older goretex stuff that I cleaned in the washer. Even with DWR reapplied it wets out fast and doesn't breathe much at all anymore.

I have reworked the event DWR on my drysuit without too much impact to breathability, using the spray on nikwax direct. I can still feel airflow through the fabric when it's dry. The DWR is not as good as original, but I kayak surf in the drysuit and the fabric gets slammed by salt water waves constantly so the DWR takes a beating and frequently I wet out after a couple dunkings. The breathability is still fine until I get wetted out and then it suffers. I hose it off with fresh water every time because dried salt caked on definitely messes with breathability for the next session.

For my jackets, I'll try to minimally wash and keep the factory DWR going as long as possible.

mtbr member
    I was under the same impression and questioned the manufacturer, as their instructions seemed counter-intuitive.

Since I have been following their instructions, however, things have been great. I find that I am having to wash the jacket weekly to maintain the waterproof aspect of it. Even when wet, though, it is still windproof, which helps immensely if things do get damp.

mtbr member

Cumbria, England.
    It is much easier to pop your jacket in the tumble dryer than trying to iron it!
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -