Epic leg armor recomendations, please- Mtbr.com
    rack admirer

Epic leg armor recomendations, please

My neck of New England is deviod of extended climbs and descents. It is 300-500 vertical feet up, then down, then repeat. Every now and then I err on something technical and get kneecapped. I have been lucky avoiding fractures, just scraped and sore. As I age, time and luck run out and I want to consider all day protection. I own 661 4x4's and found them hot and bulky thus not on me when I biff on sweaty granite.

I hear good things about the Roach FR's. Who out there wears them as a matter of policy on 3-4 hour rides; a safe practice like buckling up or helmet use? Any other brands that won't chafe, slip, or steam up on me during rides so I will actually wear them? How about knee cap only gear? I have been on longer climbs and descents (Waterbury) where riders pack the pads on climbs and put them on at the top along with dropping the seat. This usually won't make sense for me.

Thanks in advance for any sharing of experience. I have also read the product reviews carefully, but can draw no conclusions.
    MCM # 57

ol'guy who says hi &waves

Fox

Here in the central valley of Calif, the temps are 90-100 quite often.Most of our rides include 2-3k ft of climbing. Alot of us use the $15 Fox knee/shin guards you at any discount store. I was skeptical at first. There is no strap above the knee, but it's always stayed in place when needed. It has only two wide velcro straps across the calf. I tend to forget that I even have them on.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

L1MEY
    Rockgardn Airframe pads work for me... they have lots of little holes in them that lets the air flow through nicely. They're never going to be as comfortable and cool as riding without pads, but these are pretty decent and have a good amount of protection. I got mine on sale from Cambria... they might still have them.

- Jen.

Jan 2004

Roach FR

I got the Roach FR pads at the end of last summer and after a little break in period they are sweet. I usually ride 4+ hours in them and do not have any problems. This summer will be the true heat test but with the open backs they are very cool.

Woohooo! Moderator

I wear armor every ride

I have been using armor on every ride for over 8 years now. So far I have owned JT Racing, Core Rats, Fox 911 (older style) and now own the Fox Raptors (Battlestar Galactica looking things). The Raptors are getting pretty tired and I will replace them with the Roach FRs because I have been really happy with the Roach FR arms I have been using for the last year. Everyone I know who has used that style of Roaches (or RaceFace) has been really happy with them.

Armor will feel a little weird to you at first, but you will quickly get so used to it that you won't notice it. It's a great confidence builder!

rack admirer

6'1" = Roach FR L or XL?

Thanks to all responders.
    The site says L=5'10 to 6', 6'0 to 6'2" = XL.
    Is this accurate? I have skinny legs
    MCM # 57

Woohooo! Moderator

skinny legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    Thanks to all responders.
    The site says L=5'10 to 6', 6'0 to 6'2" = XL.
    Is this accurate? I have skinny legs
    You'll probably want the large, but I don't really know. Order them too large and you risk them sliding around. Order them too small and they simply won't fit... Make sure you get them from some place where you can return them if they aren't large enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Dianese

I am 6' and wear size large. They slip on and have elastiky mesh backing and a couple velcrow straps. Cool, stay put, less bulky than regular freeride pads.

rack admirer

Ripped big time in product reviews

Thanks for your response. This is why I'm posting. There are more unhappy than happy Dainese reviews in the product board. This probably isn't representative. I am not trying to go cheap since there'll be no bargain if I end up not wearing them.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    Thanks for your response. This is why I'm posting. There are more unhappy than happy Dainese reviews in the product board. This probably isn't representative. I am not trying to go cheap since there'll be no bargain if I end up not wearing them.

the only beef I have is they don't slip on/off so easy over your shoe. But if you put them on fisrt and then you shoe...no problem. I dont know what the negative reviews say but they are fine for long rides. I usually forget they are on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm also riding in New England and currently use the Fox Standards that I got for $10. I'd say they are adequate. I'm tall with skinny legs (I'm 6'4") and I cross the straps to hold the pads in place. The pads have saved my knees a time or two, but the problem I'm having is that they are designed for use with a tall boot (MC style), which means they do not extend all the way down my legs. More than a few times I have slipped a pedal and had the pins slide up under the pad, which is one of the things I bought the pads to stop.

That having been said, they are not that bad to ride in and pretty much stay in place. I'm just about to replace them with the Roach Rally FR's (XL) all the same.