Elbow & Shin armor for a Clyde.. whats recommended?- Mtbr.com
    I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009

Elbow & Shin armor for a Clyde.. whats recommended?

Alright, I've taken only 2 spills in the past several months, but both times, my elbows bore the brunt. I am debating whether I want to look like a dork riding in only elbow pads down the paved bike paths and maybe 1/5 of it dirt if I'm lucky, but the pain from the last one tells me it might not be a bad idea.

I'll look like a dork who didnt ground-beef his elbows. But its still a tough call.. probably too self conscious of one. I'm slowly making peace with possibly looking like a Storm Trooper on a bicycle.

In any case.. I'm becoming a fan of PricePoint and have been looking through theirs but unsure of size or how to properly measure for one. Also debating if I should get shin guards while I'm at it. I'm not into DH yet, but those are the 2 body parts that have taken a beating several times so far. The shins hurt, but healed and were a lot less painful than what happens to my elbows in a landing.

Any recommendations for brand, style, attaching mechanisms, sizes, or safety ratings?
    Be excellent to each other.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    no recommendations? .. I impact with over 300lb of force, think its too much for any elbow guards?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Disclaimer: I do not work for these guys.

The Red:

There is a Swedish company named POC that makes some pads (I do not wear pads but hear they are pretty good and have won awards - some links)

Watch the video link below:
    (WORK SAFE, no swearing or nudity, 9:18 min, skip to 4:30 to see a demo of their elbow pad technology, but I recommend watching the whole thing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHepXktGrc (Video on youtube - product overview by Product Manager, )

http://www.pocski.com/index.asp (there website/ online shop)

http://en.red-dot.org/561+M574bcf918e3.html (design award site, background)

http://www.pocsports.com/products/sh....asp?id=S92036 (elbow pads version 1)

http://www.pocsports.com/products/sh....asp?id=S92039 (elbow pad version 2)

I hope this helped.

Sohei

PS Do not be a fashion victim/ ie not wearing your helmet etc. because you want to look "cool"; safety first. As far as sizing goes you will need to try things on.

breaks everything.
    Mar 2009
    wear the pads, dont have lifelong injuries. a fashion faux pa can be taken off, scars are a tad harder. also it seems like you could benefit from gaining some flexibility and learning to fall a tad bit better :P i know.. learning to fall, but you'd be suprised. I spent a lot of time on my trampoline figuring it all out... at night.... when no one could watch me >.>

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beagley
    wear the pads, dont have lifelong injuries. a fashion faux pa can be taken off, scars are a tad harder. also it seems like you could benefit from gaining some flexibility and learning to fall a tad bit better :P i know.. learning to fall, but you'd be suprised. I spent a lot of time on my trampoline figuring it all out... at night.... when no one could watch me >.>
    I fought for several years at the university. I practiced falling into muscle memory, but only after being hit, swept, or tripped. I am a total noob to falling off a bike. Here is the funny link between the two. In a fight, when in doubt, you bring up your arms & elbows, and cover your face & upper core. When I fall on my bike, my arms fly up like I'm about to be struck and I go either on my elbows or if sideways I go into barrel rolls. What you're instructed to do on a dojo floor when falling is to #1 relax, and #2 drop your weight to the ground as fast as possible. Meaning, if you're falling, fold your own knees and drop on your behind. In other words, drop yourself, and with as much control as you can gain out of the motion on your own behalf.

Know of any videos or places to learn proper bike falling? .. I dont own a trampoline, but I loved em when I was a kid. To fall flat on your back on one and then be propelled up, felt like magic.

I'm going to take a look into that POC armor up there. Have not clicked the link yet, need some time to get work done, but I'll get to it.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    After some research I bought good shin and elbow guards. Just wanted to give you guys an update.

This set of Rockgardn Landing Zone shin/knee guards were the priciest but with the most coverage that I could find for my beastly legs.

For elbow guards I purchased what was fortunately a matching set piece.. the Rockgardn Landing Zone arm/elbow guards, in the biggest set I could get. 2X .. Pricepoint didnt have a guide but a competitor's site (Jensonusa) had a size guide and I fell into the 17.5+ inch bicep category. Hope they fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Let us know how they work out for you. I have taken a couple of pretty good falls and chewed up my knees/shins. I'm still healing from a crash about a month ago. Knee/shin protection is very high on my "to-do" list.

Members who have read this thread: 0