Elbow protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Elbow protection

I am just starting to ride singletrack and going to purchase 661 Kyle knee protectors and I am hoping to get a good elbow protector recommendation, suggestions always appreciated!

mtbr member
    I am also looking for recommendations on elbow pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've been running Fox Launch Elbows and am pretty happy with them.

Launch Elbow

Very light and not too hot, stay in place fairly well when hitting the dirt, svelte enough to fit in a small pack or its pocket. If you sweat a lot like I do, I think you'll find that, over time, the elastic will lose it's spunk. That will be the undoing of my Elbows, as they're loosening up now after a couple of years' use. I got the "L-XL" size, which probably doesn't help the sitch. Maybe shoulda held out for mediums.

Mike

PS:
    Armor and Pads Reviews
    Last edited by She&I; 08-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingaddict View Post
    I am also looking for recommendations on elbow pads.
    My LBS sold me a pair of ProTec which are elbow and continue down on the forearm. I have not used them yet but they do feel light, comfortable and flexible.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any that are just a slip on pad, not plastic?

mtbr member
    I ordered a pair of 661 2x4 Arm Guards. I have yet to receive them, but looks like they will be fine for xc and trail. But if your gonna do downhill, freeride, or extreme technical trails. I recommend getting something heavier duty pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITH21 View Post
    Anyone have any that are just a slip on pad, not plastic?
    One of the managers in my LBS just purchased some from G Force and he loves them and said they are very protective comfortable and light, check them out online.

The fellow was going to bring them in to let me see them however he forgot.

mtbr member
    I have been looking around since last week and the 661 2x4 look really good IMO. I want something that looks sleek and something I can forget that's there. I'm just concerned because I don't ride very hard since I had surgery on my elbow a couple years back but when I fall I usually fall hard.

I'm not even sure what kind of riding I do. It's not crazy enough to be FR, I don't like pedaling so it's not XC. I guess it's either AM or DH. Here's a vid I made, would the 2x4's provide enough protection? Like I said I had surgery so I really want to start protecting my elbow more. Summer Evening Downhill MTB - YouTube

I went to my LBS but they didn't have any elbow pads and I was really hoping to at least try some on to see how they feel. Stupid question: when I see a product being advertised and they show two pads in the pic but don't specify at all whether I'm buying one or two pads should I assume it's only one? I kinda like these also Amazon.com: Troy Lee Designs Elbow Guard - --/Grey: Sports & Outdoors

I might just go for these. Not a bad price for both. Sette Impact Elbow Guards at Price Point

I'm hoping to order some today or tomorrow cause I think I'll be back up and riding again by next week.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I have the POC joint VPD elbow (and knee) pads. Pricey, but well worth it to me. They are not hardshell, but have the kind of new-fangled foam that hardens up on impact. Real comfortable to wear.

POC Joint VPD Elbow Guards (Pair)

EDIT: And yes, I have never seen an ad that didn't include the price of a pair of pads, not just one side.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingaddict View Post
    I have been looking around since last week and the 661 2x4 look really good IMO. I want something that looks sleek and something I can forget that's there. I'm just concerned because I don't ride very hard since I had surgery on my elbow a couple years back but when I fall I usually fall hard.

I'm not even sure what kind of riding I do. It's not crazy enough to be FR, I don't like pedaling so it's not XC. I guess it's either AM or DH. Here's a vid I made, would the 2x4's provide enough protection? Like I said I had surgery so I really want to start protecting my elbow more. Summer Evening Downhill MTB - YouTube

I went to my LBS but they didn't have any elbow pads and I was really hoping to at least try some on to see how they feel. Stupid question: when I see a product being advertised and they show two pads in the pic but don't specify at all whether I'm buying one or two pads should I assume it's only one? I kinda like these also Amazon.com: Troy Lee Designs Elbow Guard - --/Grey: Sports & Outdoors

I might just go for these. Not a bad price for both. Sette Impact Elbow Guards at Price Point

I'm hoping to order some today or tomorrow cause I think I'll be back up and riding again by next week.
    I have the TLDs, and they work just fine.

mtb'er
    May 2010
    I've been using 661 2X4 arm guards for several years. I like they go from just above wrist to above elbow and stay put even in a crash. They are hot even with the lycra on top/inboard, but that is the price of protection! The last time I had a bad crash with another type of armguard I had it got pushed up my arm and road rashed from forearm and elbow bad, so I threw them out. Super important that any arm or knee guard stay put when you go down or it won't help protect.