Elbow armor help?- Mtbr.com
    I love bike!

Elbow armor help?

Starting to get into more aggresive trail riding and need a recommendation on elbow pads (already have the knees covered with Kyle Straits). I'm looking for something with a hard shell with partial forearm protection too. These would just be used for the more technical type trail rides (SOMO, Pass Mtn, etc). A couple under consideration are:

Fox Launch (little pricey @ $50, maybe too much forearm)
    TLD (much cheaper @ $28, looks like maybe a bit shorter forearm)

Anyone have recommendations? Thx

I think I need to Upgrade
    Fox, 661, Roach etc. they are all good, but it comes down to what fits you. With what you have tried on, what seems to fit and what size do you need?

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Fox, 661, Roach etc. they are all good, but it comes down to what fits you. With what you have tried on, what seems to fit and what size do you need?
    Have not and probably will not try any on before buying. Most likely buying online, and I would assume that's how most others have purchased.

Not too excited about traveling to one of the many LBS which never have anything in stock or seem to want to provide any decent customer service

I'm 5'11" 175lbs if that helps

banned
    Go to a shop and try them on. If you get the wrong size online, you have to ship it back and make sure they have the next size up/down in stock etc.

Get as much forearm as possible, you can really save nasty falls by sliding on your forearms/elbows and knees. My forearms saved me a trip down the side of Geronimo last week; they piled up the rocks and that stopped me from falling all they way down. I only went like 4 feet down the side.

By not trying anything on you are risking it not fitting or being un-comfortable or both. I have tried on a fair number of pads and they didn't all fit me how I wanted them to. What part of the valley do you live in? If you are near me you can try on the 661 pads that I have. Two shops that stock armor that I know of are Cactus Bike, Slippery Pig and maybe Rage. Im not trying to make an excuses for any shop, but with armor not much help is needed unless you need someone to dress you (no I am not offering ).

I love bike!
    I don't want you dressing me either. I think my wife does a pretty good job as is

I understand the risks of not trying on and believe me would rather try something on before commiting. I've just been really turned off from the LBS here in the east valley. Every time I go into a shop they either don't really seem too interested in helping me or just don't have anything worth a damn in stock. Maybe it's just me

Last shop I tried was Cactus off of like Alma School and Germann (might have the cross steets slightly flubbed). Totally unimpressed and waste of time. Is the Tookee store a much better choice as far as service and selection goes?

My other ride is your mom
    I'm in the same boat...have not had luck finding variety at local shops...but the east side shops I've been too don't have much to choose from....still need to head over to SMC to see what they have.

I'm sick of slamming my knee and elbows into granite and schist.

parenting for gnarness
    Cactus, Rage and Adventure all have some, but its hard to blame a shop for not stocking a huge inventory on this item when most of us just buy it online.

I've tried 3 types of knee pads and got gripes with all of em. I have full forearm\elbows, and they are comfy but hot. All armor is frustrating in some regards I think. Just buy some, use it for awhile, then give it away or sell it cheap if you don't like it. Better than a trip to the emergency room. Order a couple pairs from PricePoint etc and plan on shipping some back.

on the flip side, my extra set of kneepads is coming in very handy while I tape all the molding in my house in preparation for painting.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Low speed, High Drag
    I use 661 elbow pads, mostly on my dirt bike. I've been using 'em for a while, and they don't slip down, they're not uncomfortable or hot, and they don't give me arm pump like the Lizard Skins did. If they don't move around on a dirt bike at the track, they should stay in place on an MTB, no problem

They cover the elbow, and the forearm. I'm 5'11" and 211 pounds and use the size large, so if they fit me, they should fit you as well. Universal Cycles has 'em for 33 bucks, and they show 10 large in stock. Can't beat that.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...0&category=656
    I need a cool saying to put here.

I love bike!
    thanks for the tip Kev. I'll check em out.

mtbr member
    Elbow pads, not attached to a pressure suit, are a total crapshoot at best.
    I've heard the Roach Pads and Fox Pads are worthy of consideration.

I know its hot...and it sucks...but seriously consider a Pressure Suit if you are considering elbow/forearm armor.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Have not and probably will not try any on before buying. Most likely buying online, and I would assume that's how most others have purchased.

Not too excited about traveling to one of the many LBS which never have anything in stock or seem to want to provide any decent customer service

Yea what gives with that being new to this sport willing to drop thousands of my dollars no one seemed to care? weird industry...

Try Cactus off of 48th st and Elliot next to Safeway.

Kathleen in AZ
    Dainese 3x. Expensive but they are really comfy with articulated elbow (and knee) sections. I wear mediums but had to shorten the lower strap on the elbow pads to fit my girlie arms.

I love bike!
    thanks for the suggestions guys n gurls

Stopped by Cactus in Tookee and they were really cool and helpful. Didn't have my size but I might go with the Race Face Rally FR elbows in size L. If all else it seems like I've found a shop with good CS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i use the core rat forearm/elbow unit. very effective. very cool.

cholla's right about going thru pricepoint. try greenfish too. i did that with my body armor, and only got stuck with shipping a couple times. it was worth it to try on four different models.

Members who have read this thread: 0