Eggbeaters / Worn Shoes Modification- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eggbeaters / Worn Shoes Modification

Couldn't find anything via search for this specifically, and didn't know exactly which forum this belongs in, so mod's feel free to move it.

I've got thousands of miles on my Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and SIDI combo and couldn't be happier. However, after all those miles and a few hikes on slickrock, the soles of my SIDI's have become worn. The result is that the Eggbeaters have been digging into the bottom of my shoes and created an indentation. The effect of this is a loose feeling in on the pedals, especially on the upstroke. Not the most secure feeling in the world when you're descending.

I had read about wrapping tape around the body of the Eggbeaters to take up the slack. However, this only worked for a ride or two before the looseness returning. To find a more permanent fix, I used plastic tubing over the body of the Eggbeaters. The trick was finding the right size. What worked for me was tubing with an ID of 11/16" and a thickness of 1/32". I soaked the tubing in hot water for a minute and slipped them over the pedals. I let them cool for a minute and did a little work with the Dremel. I've only taken them out around the house, but they work great so far!

Here's where I got mine, but you can of course experiment with different thickness and materials:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8628K61
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pivot Mach429

Paste eater
    Beater Blockers work great for me.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, I don't think this would have worked for me since the cleats on my shoes are worn to the point they allowed the Eggbeaters to dig directly into sole.
    Pivot Mach429

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dduk
    Hmmmm, I don't think this would have worked for me since the cleats on my shoes are worn to the point they allowed the Eggbeaters to dig directly into sole.
    The Crank Bros Shoe Shields work on new or old shoes.

I would have (and have) used Shoe Goo on the soles.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~Disc~Golf~
    I think Shoo-Goo is a little soft (could be wrong - apparently it works for shiggy), but I would have used a bit of epoxy on the sole.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Anything under the cleat doesn't really fix the problem. The problem is wear on the shoe tread. The only way to fix it is to add material in the tread interface.
    Pivot Mach429

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I think Shoo-Goo is a little soft (could be wrong - apparently it works for shiggy), but I would have used a bit of epoxy on the sole.
    Goo on the shoe tread, not the sole under the cleat.
    mtbtires.com

Anything under the cleat doesn't really fix the problem. The problem is wear on the shoe tread. The only way to fix it is to add material in the tread interface.
    Yes, Shoe Goo. On the shoe tread.

The Sole Saver plates just help stabilize things
    mtbtires.com

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Goo on the shoe tread, not the sole under the cleat.
    Ah! gotcha
    That makes sense.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Paste eater
    I disagree. The shoe shields works awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I disagree. The shoe shields works awesome.
    The shoe shields do work well to protect the shoe, but they are a step in the wrong direction for how the system should work. Ideally, the tread of the shoe should sit on the body of the pedal and the wings should just be able to engage the cleat. Adding shoe shields pushes the tread farther away from the body. If the tread of the shoe does not sit on the pedal, it allows the shoe to rock from side to side. This rocking does not bother some people, but some hate it.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    The shoe shields do work well to protect the shoe, but they are a step in the wrong direction for how the system should work. Ideally, the tread of the shoe should sit on the body of the pedal and the wings should just be able to engage the cleat. Adding shoe shields pushes the tread farther away from the body. If the tread of the shoe does not sit on the pedal, it allows the shoe to rock from side to side. This rocking does not bother some people, but some hate it.
    EXACTLY. That's why I modified the pedals as I did.
    Pivot Mach429

Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    And why I suggested building up the tread on the shoes. I do this because I use several different shoes and it is better to make the shoe fit the pedal than the pedal fit the shoe.

Plus as the shoe wears more it is easier to repair the shoe than build up the pedal even more.

By using the Shoe Shields on the repaired sole you can avoid some of the "clunk" caused by the wear on the shoe.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Just a quick update after my first ride with the mod. It works GREAT! We'll see how many rides I can get in before the sleeve wears out.
    Pivot Mach429

Members who have read this thread: 0