Egg Beaters with Running Shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Egg Beaters with Running Shoes?

I'm looking in to getting a new pair of clipless pedals, and besides weight, another requirement is that you can manage to ride with them with plain old running shoes on, like for trips to the corner store, etc. Right now I've got cheap low end Shimano pedals which are large enough to do that, but I'm looking to upgrade.

I like the price and weight, so I'm willing to give some Eggbeater SL's a shot, but can one pedal without shoes? I'm also looking at a pair of Time Atac XS, which I think look beautiful, but are a little more expensive, and heavier. So if pedaling is possible on the SL's I'd go with those, if not, how are the Times? I'd rather stay away from getting a platform clipless, because riding unclipped isn't a huge concern, I'd just like to be able to for shot distances, but I'm willing to consider other options too.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    works fine for little trips, I do it all the time in my eggbeaters

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabras
    I'm looking in to getting a new pair of clipless pedals, and besides weight, another requirement is that you can manage to ride with them with plain old running shoes on, like for trips to the corner store, etc. Right now I've got cheap low end Shimano pedals which are large enough to do that, but I'm looking to upgrade.

I like the price and weight, so I'm willing to give some Eggbeater SL's a shot, but can one pedal without shoes? I'm also looking at a pair of Time Atac XS, which I think look beautiful, but are a little more expensive, and heavier. So if pedaling is possible on the SL's I'd go with those, if not, how are the Times? I'd rather stay away from getting a platform clipless, because riding unclipped isn't a huge concern, I'd just like to be able to for shot distances, but I'm willing to consider other options too.

Thanks,
    If you ride with regular shoes on occasion, I'd opt for the Eggbeater Candies, or any pedal with a platform. I have to be a little careful with my regular Eggs because my feet like to "roll" off if I'm wearing regular shoes.

Niner EMD
    I have the time xs carbon. I ride small trips on them and its not a problem. they are great pedals when clipped again...nothing but good reviews from me. that all being said I have no problem flipping my bike over and swapping in some platforms for longer rides around town. The whole process takes 2 minutes... 1 for each side. if you would do that sort of thing you can get the clipless pedal that suits your clipped-in riding style and preferences without having to compromise with the platform element.
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

Niner EMD 1X10

Feb 2004
    you can easily ride on the road with normal shoes and eggbeaters but I wouldn't attempt to ride any trail without being clipped in.

mtbr member
    Thanks, and especially Mr. Scary, for investing the energy in such an useful and friendly reply. Doesn't make sense to me--but I appreciate the time you spent on it.

Anyway, when I actually go riding for the sake of riding, ofcourse I'm clipped in, and want a good clipless pedal. But on the occasion where I'm doing little trips riding around town using the bike as transportation, doing things I would rather do with a pair of running shoes, it'd be nice to skip the hassle of having to bring along another pair. It sounds like it's managable with the eggbeaters, so I think I'll try them out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabras
    Thanks, and especially Mr. Scary, for investing the energy in such an useful and friendly reply. Doesn't make sense to me--but I appreciate the time you spent on it.

Anyway, when I actually go riding for the sake of riding, ofcourse I'm clipped in, and want a good clipless pedal. But on the occasion where I'm doing little trips riding around town using the bike as transportation, doing things I would rather do with a pair of running shoes, it'd be nice to skip the hassle of having to bring along another pair. It sounds like it's managable with the eggbeaters, so I think I'll try them out.
    How about a cheap commuter bike so you do not have to worry about it being stolen when inside a store?

Otherwise the eggbeaters could be used with running shoes if it is just for a short distance.

mtbr member

Candy's??

I suggest the Candy SL's, I know you said you didnt really want a platform pedal, but these give a little more and only weight a tad more than the standard eggbeater chromes. My SL candys weigh 298grams, and the eggbeater SL's are about 266grams. They will not let your feet roll off and give you a little stability if needed to unclip for a second on the single track.

mtbr member
    You could go with the Candy C's and savea bit of money and still have 340g pedals with soem platform to make sure your feet don't "roll" off.

I was thinking of going for the Mallet C's myself, any opinions, do they help at all with technical stuff?? Got to be better than my Shimano 505 pedals.

Feb 2004
    Mallet C is not XC and certainly not lightweight ...sure, you will have a huge platform and some nice boat anchors as well.