Educate me on clipless shoes that work well for the occasional hike-a-bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Educate me on clipless shoes that work well for the occasional hike-a-bike

I'm using an XC style Pearl Izumi shoe that has three Velcro straps and a very firm sole. I use Shimano SPD clipless. It's been an okay shoe but I'm getting tired of how the heel slips and my toes develop blisters from the occasional times where I have to dismount and hike the bike up a steep embankment or around some other trail feature.

Hoping you guys won't mind sharing your experience and educating me on the options for a good shoe that best accommodates just a little bit of hike-a-bike. I think it would help to go with a shoe that has a solid latch or buckle to minimize the heel slipping, but I am also curious about the various offerings that have vibram soles or other hiking type feature. Ideally, there would be a shoe out there that can flex at the ball when walking but is stiff in the other direction when pedaling. That doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

Please share your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have my eyes on spec shoes 2fo cliplite and 2fo clip... kestrel would be a good option if it wasn't for the reports of soles that desintegrate!

I'm coming from northwave mtb extreme and also have problems hiking from time to time!

mtbr member
    have a look at the shimano touring group of shoes:

TOUR - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO

I think MT54 will fit your needs
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've had really good luck with Pearl Izumi X-Project shoes. They designed them with hike a bike and cyclocross in mind, so the toe flexes but the rest of the shoe is stiff. I was weary of how well a carbon soled shoe would feel to hike in, but was super surprised at how comfortable they were!

Rent this space for $
    Huge vote from me on the Pearl Izumi X-Project 3.0. Since the OP is wearing PI shoes already, sizing should be good to go. You can score the remaining stock of X-Project 3.0 at Art's Cyclery for just $95!! I've been wearing a set for well over 1500 miles of use with lots of rough, off the bike use and they're so good, I find myself in them an hour after I get home from a ride while I'm puttering through necessary bike maintenance and prep. The first set I bought at Art's was $159 on sale. When I saw the recent closeout on them, I bought another set last week and they're stored in the box in closet. Still have a while before the first one's are finished. The carbon sole platform is awesome. Super stiff platform makes a HUGE difference for the better in pedalling yet they're forgiving in all the right places for comfortable walking and trekking over rocky and nasty obstacles. Another plus is the sole is a grippy material so wet or slippery surfaces are not so much a problem as with most mtb shoes. I just bought a road bike to fill in on my training so I put XTR XC SPD's on it and am using the X-Project 3.0 for pedalling that, too. They're great!

Pearl Izumi X Project 3.0 Mountain Shoes Black

mtbr member
    How's the width on those PI shoes? I need a wide-ish shoe but those look interesting. I'm looking for new shoes and ready to pull the trigger on these....

Lake MX237 Mountain Bike Shoes - Wide - Men's | Backcountry.com

But if I could get into a nice shoe for 1/3 of the price...that would be awesome.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Rent this space for $
    I'm a D width and these are perfect so I'm not sure if they would suit a wider foot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the input. I'm check out the PI x-project

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

2FO Cliplites

I'm happy with the 2FO Cliplites.

I've spent a good deal of time carrying the bike on level ground, up a few long hills, over lose rocks, mud/clay and roots. The shoes do provide more traction than you would think since the soles are flat. Another benefit of a flat sole is that you are less likely to get hung-up on the pedals if you don't position your foot correctly when clipping-in.

Educate me on clipless shoes that work well for the occasional hike-a-bike-61116-60_shoe_2fo-cliplite-mtb_blk-mongrn_bottom-2.jpg

I also really like the BOA closures...

Initially, I had to use a shoe horn to get my feet into the shoes. But after 2 rides, they have loosened enough that I no longer need the shoe horn. The shoe is very comfortable and easier to walk in than the fi'z:k MB5 UOMO, Pearl Izumi or other shoes I've had.

Note that the width of my feet are what would be called normal, D. But I prefer shoes that run wide, like Keen.

Here's a couple reviews:
    Specialized 2FO Cliplite Shoes - Review - Pinkbike

[First Look] Specialized 2FO Cliplite | MTB-MAG.COM

mtbr member
    ^which pedals are you using? I just got a mallet e and got a teva pivot for $49 at jenson! but still have my eyes on the spec shoes! that new red camo is calling my name :-)

Rocking on a Rocky
    If you want to go Full Tilt Shimano SPD hiking boot. M91 Trans Alps.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    If you want to go Full Tilt Shimano SPD hiking boot. M91 Trans Alps.
    Those things look pretty cool. I do in fact enjoy backpacking, but I'm not ready to combine backpacking and mountain biking. Lol

Ride Everything
    I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi's X-Alp Launch II and Five Ten Kestrels.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    ^which pedals are you using? I just got a mallet e and got a teva pivot for $49 at jenson! but still have my eyes on the spec shoes! that new red camo is calling my name :-)
    The pedals are Time ATAC MX4

Educate me on clipless shoes that work well for the occasional hike-a-bike-51ebqtotmel._sl1200_.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi's X-Alp Launch II and Five Ten Kestrels.
    Thanks! I plan to visit our local PI outlet and try on the x-project and x-alp Launch models.

Rent this space for $
    If a BOA closure is your desire, you can upgrade 1 level to the PI X-Project 2.0 as it and the X-P 1.0 both utilize BOA closures for a bit more money for each step of upgrade. I was a little sketchy about the BOA when I bought my first pair of 3.0 and that's why I got them instead of the 2.0 that was a new design. I suspect the new 3.0 may have a BOA when it is released but it will be back up near the shoe's original sub $200 price tag. We'll see when it comes out.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Drone View Post
    Thanks! I plan to visit our local PI outlet and try on the x-project and x-alp Launch models.
    I have the X-Project 1.0 in addition to the X-Alp Launch II, and the latter is more comfortable for hike-a-bike and portaging.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Educate me on clipless shoes that work well for the occasional hike-a-bike

Wanted to let y'all know that I went with a pair of Giro Terraduro. They had the most comfortable fit of everything I tried on and I was lured in by the vibram sole. I've been using them for about a month and they are a big improvement from my prior shoe. The flex at the toe is quite helpful when walking but the shoe itself feels very stiff when pedaling. Also, I wasn't impressed by the boa closures on other shoes. I think they will be fine and perhaps they are the new next-big-thing, but I liked the Giro in part because of its traditional look with ratchet which is a proven method and more than sufficient for my purposes.

I did get this funny rock stuck in clear which is something that I've never had happen before, but I don't blame the shoe for this. I couldn't figure out why i was unable to clip in?!?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm using the Mavic Crossmax and really like them. The fit is great, the closure system works really well and great for hike-a-bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I finally wore my specialized MTB lace ups out and wanted another pair but they don't make anything similar. Found these the other day. Only two rides on them but I like them just as well if not better and I like the way they look. Very comfortable and have great traction. Bontrager SSR Multisport trail shoes.

Bontrager SSR Multisport trail shoes review - BikeRadar USA

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    I'm happy with the 2FO Cliplites.
    Another vote for the Cliplites. I took mine on a trip to Nepal recently. They are great on the bike, and work well off the bike as well. There were days that I would be riding with the tour I was on and weíd stop at a temple or walk around a village, and I didnít feel out of place wearing those shoes. They have also worked well on the hike-a-bike Iíve encounter with them as well.

As far as fit, Iíve always flocked to Specialized shoes and their inserts, as theyíve been one thing that totally and completely stopped any foot pain/numbness Iíve had while riding. Their shoes are the real deal.

mtbr member
    I like my Shimano M-163's. Did a lot of hike-a-bike during Stokesville-Douthat-Stokesville tour this year.