economical full-face helmet suggestions, please- Mtbr.com
    trail addict

economical full-face helmet suggestions, please

disclaimer: I know helmet choice is a personal thing... I am just looking for some ballpark recommendations here... my wife says I must have a FF for this riding season and money is a little tight...

I am looking at three helmets in the $50-60 range

661 full comp-$50
    Bell Bellistic-$60
    Azonic Fury-$60

Are there any lemons among those three? Do the sizing charts seem to be accurate (I am a toss-up between M and L)? Do any of the three stand out above the others? I'll hopefully be ordering by this weekend, so thanks for any help!

Jamie
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I picked up a bell bellistic early in 2008 for 35 bucks. It was actually not a bad helmet. I'm between a small and medium and figured snugger was better. It was so tight at the beginning that it gave me headaches but it broke in after a while and was comfortable.

One possible issue was that the helmet didn't cover enough of the back of my head, according to people that saw it on me. In most crashes this isn't a big deal because most of the time riding DH if you crash you'll fall onto your side or go OTB and hit the front/top of your head, but you'll probably want the added security. Keep in mind this could be an issue that has to do with the shape of my head rather than the design of the helmet.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I liked my 661 full comp, but after ridding with "real" FFs it feels on the flimzy end of thing. I like my Rockgardn way more; I feel way more protected in my rockgardn.
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    Check chainlove.com.

I bought a 661 Evolution for around $60 shipped. Super nice helmet.

mtbr member
    Ok so I have the black Azonic Fury helmet...but mainly because it is the only one out of about 8 different helmets that actually fit me. I do however like it. It is very comfortable, has a 2 D ring clasp fits my Fox goggles well and I got it for around $68 I think. This model is actually the same exact helmet as the SixSixOne Strike just with different graphics and different brand name. I picked up a large and my head is 23.5 inches and I got the Large and it fits perfect. I tried on the full comp and the bellistic and they didn't fit me as well, but in terms of quality I like my Fury, especially for the price. Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The 661 Comp seemed to run a little small for me, had to return it for a larger size.

Theres a lot of afforadabe Moto X helmets too, heavier but much better protection. I got an AFX-17 for 60.00 at this link, lots of good deals on helmets, body armor ect, everything ships free:
    http://www.ridersdiscount.com/afx/motocross/

dontcha?
    If you go with the Bellistic it does run on the small side.. I had a Large and it was a bit on the small side for me, as my Giro Remedy in Large was perfect if not a little bit big..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Another vote for the fury. It was the only one that fit me of all those I tried on. It feels a lot more protective than my friends Specialized full face and more so than the bell I tried on.

trail addict
    I really like the fury. My friend has one in med and we both have the same opinion-good fit except uncomfortably snug around the cheeks/jaw. His is still relatively new (only like 2 days in it), so I was wondering if you guys had this problem and will it break in a little in that area?

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it a lot!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Mine is definitely snug around the jaw area, but it is snug with padding, not hard foam or plastic so I don't mind it so much. As you wear it more I think it will start to form somewhat to your face, and you will probably get use to it. I also wanted my helmet to be very snug all around. You might also be able to find some thinner padding for the area if you really wanted to make it perfect but I would just stick with it the way it is because you will be focusing more on the trails than you will your slightly snug cheeks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    First of all, walk to some store and check the fit. I really liked one Giro FF but it turned out the M size was too tight ant the L size was so loose I could turn it around my head while wearing. So I ended up buying 661 Bravo and it really fits perfectly, very snug and even sometimes tight, but I like it.

To sum up - even if everybody recommends a helmet and it's very good, if you can't fit it properly it will either be a pain to use (too tight) or not doing it's job (too loose). Try a few on to feel the difference and then decide!

mtbr member
    The new 661 looks sick... Set to drop end of June?
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...4-8dfd820df1e2

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    The new 661 looks sick... Set to drop end of June?
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...4-8dfd820df1e2
    Yeah, I just saw that, too. I think I am leaning towards the fury, still.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In the end it should be what fits best. I tried on a bunch. 661 Full Comp fit the best. Giro felt OK. The Fury was a bit tite and felt a tad heavier. The rest (even the big $$$ ones) didn't fit my funky head.

Members who have read this thread: 0