Ebay Giro Helmets?- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

mtbr member
    Can't speak to the quality but they are definitely knock-offs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree. Definitely knock-offs. A helmet is one place I wouldn't pinch pennies. Your head is worth more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me where people try to save money.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me where people try to save money.
    Amazing, eh?

That's why I'm asking other here. Maybe it's to warn other riders who're looking for helmets?

I agree with owensjs. Better get a good helmet for that head.

9 lives
    Us $14.43
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

since 4/10/2009
    So, anybody think these things have undergone ANY kind of safety testing to meet ANY safety standards whatsoever?

I'm gonna say NOPE.

Ebay is little more than a conduit for cheap chinese junk, toxic substances, and counterfeit product these days. And etsy made a big step recently to compete in the same market.

Ebay doesn't even allow you to leave negative feedback for nonpayment anymore. I got strung along for a long time on some stuff I was trying to sell last year. Local classified ads for me only now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Definitely knock-offs.

I purchased a Catlike knock-off on ebay. The shell is a standard in-mold EPS shell, and indistinguishable from a standard helmet. I have zero concerns about the shell quality, and feel confident that it offers exactly the same (mediocre) level of protection as any standard EPS helmet. So that's the good part.

Now for the bad part. The pads, straps and buckles are very cheap and low quality. There's no way you'd find stuff like that on a real helmet. The adjusters tend to slip and have a funny fit overall.

I'd say $15 is a fair price, in that you get a usable helmet, but you can definitely find better quality stuff for $30 at the LBS or Target on sale.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    If you click the link and report them as counterfeit eBay will take them down. The listings are removed already, looks like someone did just that.

As for sellers no longer being able to leave negative for buyers, no other e-commerce site allows that either, it really alienates buyers and thus hurts all sellers in the end. If you sell on amazon it's the same, you are obligated to offer returns and accept order cancellations before shipping.

It's not perfect but they do the best job they can at the task in front of them, allowing millions of people to buy and sell almost anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    please buy from reputable dealers who sell only New products from proven brands. Like US!!! http://http://www.outsideoutfitters....9-helmets.aspx

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Saving a few bucks on your brain bucket......in most definitely a life-defeating decision. Don't do it. Good those counterfeit ebay ads were removed.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Go to Costco and get the $25 bell helmets they have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Your head is the one of the most important part of your body. Why would you risk getting something that will not give you the right protection that you need from a reputable company. You can get decendent helmets at walmart or target and higher end at any LBS or amazon. I personally went with this 661 Recon helmet because it gave me good coverage in the back of my head and light weight with good ventilation.
    Everything is better on 2 wheels!
    Giant Anthem X 29er, Trance 27.5
    Diamondback Clutch 27.5+
    mountainbikingtexas.blogspot.com

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    As for sellers no longer being able to leave negative for buyers, no other e-commerce site allows that either, it really alienates buyers and thus hurts all sellers in the end. If you sell on amazon it's the same, you are obligated to offer returns and accept order cancellations before shipping.
    ebay used to. It's infuriating to go through the auction process, have a winner, and then they waffle and back out of the sale. And then it happens over and over and over for the same item. I'm trying to get rid of some stuff, here. I don't want it sitting around for months while I relist it and relist it and relist it and relist it (and on and on) until someone decides to actually pay after winning an auction.

ebay went from a true auction site (where "winning" the auction was a commitment to pay up) to one that favors "buy it now" transactions. which I think favors people selling new stuff (esp in volume) over those selling used stuff. There are cheaper places that I can set a price for something and sell it as-is.

Cheap knockoffs that blatantly pretend to be something they're not piss me off. If you're going to buy something cheap, buy something that doesn't pretend to be anything except what it is.

I also highly doubt that counterfeit helmets meet the same safety as an inexpensive $40 Bell from your LBS. Better than not wearing anything, I'll accept. I agree that cheaping out like this on safety gear is beyond stupid because there are far too many unknowns about the product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I also highly doubt that counterfeit helmets meet the same safety as an inexpensive $40 Bell from your LBS. Better than not wearing anything, I'll accept. I agree that cheaping out like this on safety gear is beyond stupid because there are far too many unknowns about the product.
    Default helmet standards are pretty laughably low. A basic helmet is a ~1" layer of EPS foam, nothing sophisticated. Its the same material and comes out of the same mould I'd bet they meet the same standard. Bike helmet safety institute did some test a while back and found zero correlation between safety and price. An EPS is an EPS.

Unless you're spending $150+ for a higher end helmet, with advanced construction, these offer the same protection. That said, the buckles and adjusters suck, and its worth it to move up to a $40 helmet.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
    Default helmet standards are pretty laughably low. A basic helmet is a ~1" layer of EPS foam, nothing sophisticated. Its the same material and comes out of the same mould I'd bet they meet the same standard. Bike helmet safety institute did some test a while back and found zero correlation between safety and price. An EPS is an EPS.

Unless you're spending $150+ for a higher end helmet, with advanced construction, these offer the same protection. That said, the buckles and adjusters suck, and its worth it to move up to a $40 helmet.
    Maybe so. But a knockoff that's that cheap? You have absolutely no idea if they're using a less expensive flavor of EPS that requires 1.5" of material to provide the same protection, but it's cheaper, so they use less of it and make it "look" like a far more expensive helmet. But because they shortcut on materials, it's no better than wearing a cardboard box on your head. Not to mention I'm PRETTY sure that the buckles are supposed to stay buckled and the helmet is supposed to stay adjusted during testing.

mtbr member
    I just wish a viable alternative to eBay would come along. I sell locally if I can but some kinds of item benefit from a larger market. I hate eBay. I don't like PayPal either, but what can you do? :0(

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post

You don't know that as fact, you assume. If you want to assume with your health, good luck to you. After all, products from China are known for high standards of quality, like baby formula, toothpaste etc..
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son