East Bay & maybe Marin -- where do you buy your shoes?- Mtbr.com
    Uncle

East Bay & maybe Marin -- where do you buy your shoes?

Might be time to get another set of shoes, and I'm currently hoping to update from Shimano sh181 to the new sh182, but so far, I've not found them around here; Mostly I've only found the lower Shimano models. But I like my ratchet, dammit! Tried Sidis y no bueno. Open to trying Speshes too.

If you buy your shoes in the East Bay or in Marin, which shops do you go to? Who has a decent selection of models and sizes?
    Thanks for the help.

TLL

Apr 2008
    Mikes in San Rafael has a good selection of Speccy shoes. I seem to recall Sunshine in Fairfax had a good selection also. I'd call first before making a trip.

I'd thinking that anyone that can order from QBP could get them for you.

Feeling a little taller
    I have found the P stores to have the largest size/selection of shoes and have even bought from them. I would think them a great place to try on a pair of the Shimanos, even if you don't buy there. REI also carries an OK cross section.

It seemed that Cyclepath in Hayward has a pretty big shoe area but I don't think they carry Spech. Wheels of Justice is a Specialized shop but I don't know what selection of shoes they have. Might be worth a phone call.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

It's about showing up.

Pedlar in El Sobrante

had a pretty good selection and I second Dan's input. I'd call first.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 07-15-2008 at 08:37 AM.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja

Medium?
    I got a pair of sh181s for 20% off at Calebases in Cupertino. (I know, not EB)

Get the dealer list from shimano.com and call around asking for your size. I called about 40 shops looking for my weird 46.5 size.

I like UniversalCycles.com too. Automatic 8% discount since they don't charge tax. Shipping is probably cheaper than driving too. I don't know if they carry Shimano.

I wouldn't give up ratchet straps either.

Uncle
    Keep 'em coming, please.

Just came home from ridin' with Sparky, and stopped in at Sunshine Cycles. They carry the m182s and had the size that I wanted to try. Hooked me up with the Trails Coalition courtesy discount, but they can't take 'em back once the cleats go on, which is completely understandable. When I tried the Sidis, they felt great in the store, and only MURDERED my feet after the first 2-3 miles of climbing. Performance accepted them back, so no loss thank goodness. Since the shoes almost always feel different while pedaling than when walking in them, a perfect world scenario might be found in a shop that would install cleats and let you pedal around the interior of the store before committing to purchase. Mike's in SR could pull this off since they have the little race track inside. I like Sunshine though -- always nice, friendly and helpful, so I won't at all hold it against them for committing me to the shoes, especially since they told me ahead of time.

All that said, I'm keeping the new shoes on the carpet for a few days to see if other options pop up. I'll check in with the suggested stores too.
    Thanks for input!
    105mm

Uncle

Thanks, P-dawg, but I'm an XC kinda guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Checked their webpage, and only skate-style lookin' softie shoes from what I can tell. How's the DH world treating you, btw?

Jul 2008
    call our shop and see what we have, i know we have those shoes in stock, just a matter of size..... good luck shopping..

mtbr member
    WHOOPS... didnt realize that my girlfriend was logged in on my computer!!! lets try this again:

give our shop a call, we have a bunch of shimano shoes in stock, its just a matter of size. also, if you get a chance, sidi also offers their shoes in a mega size, which is a wider shoe if that would help at all. generally the shimano shoes fit wider feet better... good luck with the shopping.
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Checked their webpage, and only skate-style lookin' softie shoes from what I can tell. How's the DH world treating you, btw?
    aaaaahhh... yea. Ridesfo caters more to the DH/FR scene in the bay area. I wished they carried some clipless shoes which are still decent for hiking though. That would be pimp... XD

The DH world has been treating me good. Never met so many happy people in my life...

Members who have read this thread: 0