Early snow passion for AT boots- Mtbr.com
    rack admirer

Early snow passion for AT boots

Bracing for the times when we cannot ride.............
    I picked up an AT Watea 94 Ski/Fritschi binding set up and need to learn about boots. My use will be skin to find powder stashes with repeats. No hut to hut type use for me. I am a New England skier who has stuck with woods and glades at resorts.
    I have looked at Solomon Quest, Black Diamond Factor, and ski-walk gizmo-ed entries from Lange, Nordica, Technica, and Dalbelo. I want to try the Garmonts. So far, the BD Factor has offered the best walk range of motion AND the stiffest feel in downhill mode.
    While $ counts heavily, anyone who can share boot experience or NE woods locations to try will be my new best friend. Thanks for looking. Thanks more for helping.
    mike
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of Scarpa Maestrales last season and absolutely love them. Very light, amazing walk mode, and plenty stiff to turn any ski in my quiver including my Coombacks. I've also got Garmont Endorphines but they don't tour all that well.
    It's too bad you already committed to the Fritchis. I think Dynafits are a better way to go.

High Desert MTBer
    I am so glad I live in Arizona and do not have to worry about these things...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dynafit

I second Dynafit. There really light and comfortable.

beer thief
    I have Garmont Adrenalins and they work well for me. Compared to my old T2 tele boots these are like having turbochargers on my feet. I'm always at least 10 years behind the times though.

Come up and charge the east face of Heather Hill (my backyard shots) with me any time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    It's too bad you already committed to the Fritchis. I think Dynafits are a better way to go.
    Ditto. But Fritchis will be fine for easing into touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    I have looked at Solomon Quest, Black Diamond Factor, and ski-walk gizmo-ed entries from Lange, Nordica, Technica, and Dalbelo. I want to try the Garmonts. So far, the BD Factor has offered the best walk range of motion AND the stiffest feel in downhill mode.
    I'd stay away from Lange, Nordica, and most Technica and Dalbelo boots. If they're alpine boots, they will suck for touring weightwise, comfortwise, and walkwise. The exceptions are the Technica Cochise and Dalbelo Virus. These are legit touring boots. I would also avoid Salomon AT boots at all costs at this point due to shoddy workmanship in their touring soles that resulted in a catastrophic boot failure and a serious injury of a friend of mine.

IMO you won't go wrong with Black Diamond, Scarpa, Garmont, or Dynafit.

mtbr member
    I hear ya.I'm trying to fing info on some good shoes/boots for winter,ya know 30*- 40*LOL

mtbr member
    I third using Dynafit. So thinking future since you already have Fritschi's, I would suggest getting a boot that NUMBER ONE...FITS and number two is Dynafit compatible (or has the ability to change the toe/heel pucks out for tech bindings inserts). Buy a boot because it fits your foot and you like how it drives a ski, not because someone on a forum told you it was the best. Think of it like buying a saddle for your bike...once you find the right one, you tend to stick with it.
    Good luck!
    And Think Snow!
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosaw View Post
    I third using Dynafit. So thinking future since you already have Fritschi's, I would suggest getting a boot that NUMBER ONE...FITS and number two is Dynafit compatible (or has the ability to change the toe/heel pucks out for tech bindings inserts). Buy a boot because it fits your foot and you like how it drives a ski, not because someone on a forum told you it was the best. Think of it like buying a saddle for your bike...once you find the right one, you tend to stick with it.
    Good luck!
    And Think Snow!
    I'll second this. The only boot that I've found that fits my foot are from Garmont. My heels are very narrow and I wallow around in most anything other than Gramont.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    FWIW the new Scarpa's are using a much narrower last, so if you haven't tried them since last winter, they're worth a look.