Durable XC gloves - recommendations please- Mtbr.com
    Baby Bear is in the house

Hope Durable XC gloves - recommendations please

Can you guys recommend a glove for general XC use, something with minimal padding and is fairly breathable? I like to maintain a good feel of my grip/bar, and I live in a tropical country. It has to be something that can withstand monthly throws into the washer/dryer without blowing up in 3-6 months

I'm considering the Fox Incline as it's readily available, but am not sure about durability. Any other brands/models similar to the Incline that I can consider? My other options include Dakine's Ventilator and Covert, SixSixOne's Comp/Raji/401, and the Louis Garneau X-Vent.

More suggestions are welcome.

TIA for any input.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

AZ
    banned
    FWIW , Mechanix brand gloves .

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sometimes they just don't last, there's not much you can do. $35-40 gloves are rediculous. The dirt-bike store sells the same gloves for cheaper. MX bike grips are the same size as our mountain bikes, so the gloves have the same general construction and features.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Can you guys recommend a glove for general XC use, something with minimal padding and is fairly breathable? I like to maintain a good feel of my grip/bar, and I live in a tropical country. It has to be something that can withstand monthly throws into the washer/dryer without blowing up in 3-6 months

More suggestions are welcome.

TIA for any input.
    i've been using inclines for the last few years for the same reasons - very minimal and highly breathable. i wash mine every month if not more often and have not had a problem with durability. i do have several pairs and i normally rotate between two pairs at a time. the two pairs i'm on now have been in service for close to a year. i have a pair that is over two years old that other than being worn is still intact.

mtbr member
    I've been using a single pair of Inclines for about a year now and have had no problems with durability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Inclines here also for the later half of this year. Still going strong.

mtbr member
    I like these http://www.sugoi.com/can/eng/Product...-RS-Full-Glove

and these http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/...=9569&eid=5095

The Raji gloves don't fit me and I don't think they're anywhere near the quality of the above gloves.

mtbr member
    I have Axo gloves, and I can barely tell I have them on. They are basically Mechanics gloves, but a cooler design and cheaper also.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I have Axo gloves, and I can barely tell I have them on. They are basically Mechanics gloves, but a cooler design and cheaper also.
    +1

I used to ride Mechanix too and they last, but the $10 AXO gloves from Pricepoint are doing quite well that replaced my worn out Mechanix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    +1

I used to ride Mechanix too and they last, but the $10 AXO gloves from Pricepoint are doing quite well that replaced my worn out Mechanix.
    The Skull or the Cross? I have the Skull but I am sure they are the same.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    i have lots of gloves. i like the fox mojave and for full finger a certain pair of pearl izumis with no padding.

had some 661 gloves and thought they were really cheaply made. the dakines you linked look good to me.

Disgruntled Peccary
    I got some of the dakine ventilators for $15 before christmas.. so far I really do like them, quality wise they seem to be on par with my fox's and have a bit of padding.. Although I've washed them 3 times so far, I've only had em about a month so long term hold up.. donno
    mike

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    +1

Those AXOs suck! I got a set last year because I wanted a "hardcore" looking glove to replace my pearl izumi gel palms and I was very disapointed! They have 0 palm padding and fell apart in 3 months! And I went back to my pearl izumi's!!! I still use them today! I just wash the things once a week!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

EDR
    Fox Inclines are cheap and last forever. I've been using the exclusively for several years not in the hot desert S.W. They are surprisingly durable.

Probably drunk right now

^^Yep^^

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS

Me too. I usually throw mine away due to the smell vs. wearing out.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Me too. I usually throw mine away due to the smell vs. wearing out.
    Doan chew washum?
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Probably drunk right now

You can do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Doan chew washum?

Yes. But they reach a point of no return. When my daughter's cat starts rolling on top of them, I throw them out.

XC Ground Pounder
    I like Thor motocross gloves. You can get the pair I have for about $25. I've never had any durability issues, and they're breathable.

http://www.amazon.com/THOR-MX-STATIC.../dp/B002SCVDFO

These are close to what mine are, since mine are older. Of course, I didn't pay for mine. I found them on the side of the road.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    They have 0 palm padding...
    FWIW that is exactly what many people are looking for. The current trend has moved away from all those gel inserts. Let the suspension/bar/grips take care of comfort and use gloves like this to get a more secure grip and a better feel

My last gloves were Pearl Izumis with gel inserts too, and I was looking to replace them with something very similar with comfy inserts. After trying out a bunch of different gloves I surprised myself by choosing some thin grips with no padding. After getting used to these, padded gloves feel awkward. Its certainly still a personal choice though and I can't foresee gel gloves ever disappearing

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    i really like fox dirtpaws they are like 15 bucks and last a long time and are maddd comfy and form fitting
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Gloves? What happened to Sock Glove guy?

I've had good luck with cheapie Specialized. They don't seem to stink as much as others do. The ones I have (sorry, don't remember what model) just have padding at the base of the thumb, covering the nerve there. The rest of the palm is just regular leather. They work.

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    FWIW that is exactly what many people are looking for. The current trend has moved away from all those gel inserts. Let the suspension/bar/grips take care of comfort and use gloves like this to get a more secure grip and a better feel
    And what I'm looking for
    My main concerns are grip (my palms get sweaty) and some measure of hand protection.
    I ride a rigid SS and get enough cush from my Ourys, carbon fork and aired-down 2.3 Neo-Motos
    Last edited by r1Gel; 01-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.

What about Troy Lee? Anyone tried the most recent version of the XC glove, or the Air? Any issues with durability?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I actually like those, but would need to mail order (and thus not be able to fit them) as they are not available locally. Another downside is, it doesn't have a terry cloth thumb (which would be very useful for me).

Thanks.

Probably drunk right now

Couple things...

I actually like those, but would need to mail order (and thus not be able to fit them) as they are not available locally. Another downside is, it doesn't have a terry cloth thumb (which would be very useful for me).

Thanks.

Do you have an auto parts store in PI? They don't have to be Mechanix brand. Almost any auto mechanics' gloves will serve the same purpose.

They don't have a terry cloth thumb but I still use the thumb as my snot rag. I'm trying to get ride of the mucus vs. soaking it up. Giving up the terry cloth vs. having the glove fall apart after a month riding was a fine trade off for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    i really like fox dirtpaws they are like 15 bucks and last a long time and are maddd comfy and form fitting
    I like these a lot too. I lose them before I wear them out. Get them at the local motorcycle gear shop. Most of my riding buddies use them too. For $15, you can't beat them.

JB.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What about Troy Lee? Anyone tried the most recent version of the XC glove, or the Air? Any issues with durability?
    I've used the Air gloves for some time (one and a half riding season), but I'm not impressed. After the first wash (40 C) the silicone stuff in the plam started peeling, and after a few more washes the plastic on top of the glove came loose too. The fake leather palm is ok to begin with, but after a while it "dries" out and feels hard. Over all the quality is quite below what I'd hope for. I still keep them around as a backup glove, but I will not buy any Troy Lee gloves again.

The best glove I've used is a 661 Comp from some years ago. At first it felt a bit uncomfortable, but after I broke it in it feels really good, and the quality is great.

mtbr member
    i just got these for $21, i like em

https://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Aut...=03170001F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    i think i have a set of the same ones. first ride they slid around too much and gave me a huge blister on my palm.

got a set of fox digit ones, and i like them. but they were like $25. makes me sick to spend that much on gloves.

as long as they're tight fitting, i haven't had any problem with any style of moto gloves.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    i just got these for $21, i like em

https://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Aut...=03170001F.jpg

that would be the dirtpaw I was speaking of... best gloves hands can wear
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I use the Thor AC gloves, very breathable but still tough. I've been using one set on my my dual sport motorcycle for 3 or 4 years and I have some I ride bicycle with too.

Quote Originally Posted by quietcornerrider
    I like Thor motocross gloves. You can get the pair I have for about $25. I've never had any durability issues, and they're breathable.

http://www.amazon.com/THOR-MX-STATIC.../dp/B002SCVDFO

These are close to what mine are, since mine are older. Of course, I didn't pay for mine. I found them on the side of the road.

mtbr member
    I like the PI Elite Full Finger Gloves http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...368056&outlet= They sound like what you are looking for. I live in Texas so it's HOT here and these breathe well and have minimal padding.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I got a nice pair of gloves at Walmart from the Men's clothing section for about $15 and they are still holding up perfectly. Not good for cold weather though but for warm weather, they have done perfectly.

For 20 - 30 deg's, I use the cold gortex gloves I bought at Bass Pro for when I go hunting. I need to get super cold weather gloves though...

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Fox Digits are comfy........

If you want your gloves to last longer, I'd suggest washing them regularly and often. Sweat does more damage to gloves than a laundry cycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0