Downieville - XC helmet or FF helmet this year?- Mtbr.com
    Another festivus MIRACLE!

Downieville - XC helmet or FF helmet this year?

Guys,

I'm going to be wearing the following for my Downieville trips this year:

Fox FF helmet
    Fox goggles
    661 Core Saver (new)
    Fox knee/shin guards

I know I'm going to look like a big time DH'er and will probably get some weird looks, but after seeing what can happen I'm not going to take any chances.

Am I crazy?

-Bullit
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Not crazy, but you'll definitely be warm

Riding during the peak Summer months you'll probably find yourself stripping down for some of the climbs but the FF helmet and armor are definitely confidence-inspiring. I usually just wear a regular helmet and some leg armor but I've also ridden in full DH gear and it was just too much for me.

What counts is you wear whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. You're gonna' see riders in all variations of protective gear so you won't look too outa' place.

I dig trails!
    I'm going to try my FF this year (cheap dental insurance). It's a Specialized so it's well vented and is not too hot. If I remove the cheek pads, it gets pretty close to XC helmet ventilation.

My elbow and knee pads, I wear every ride... I like to get back up laughin'.

Last year I crashed at high speed on the race practice runs, broke my arm and was about an inch from a face transplant.

I'm no Mountain Dew slammin' DH guy either (see line above )

Mr. P

Yeah I know. Most of us heard what happened to one of our Thursday night guys on a trail that has far less danger than this one.

Not to mention I'll be riding my big FS bike and can going upwards 40mph on certain sections. I can't imagine the damage at those speeds. And I've over 230lbs!
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

Coors, the american beer.
    i dont have a dh helmet so im always wearing the xc one even on my faith
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Apr 2004
    Better to armor up, take a spill, stand up, and get back on your bike than to be air lifted out or cut a day short. At a bare minimum I wear knee pads, shin guards, elbow pads, and a full face at Downieville. I rarely crash but when I do it is like the 6 milllion dollar man. I have good insurance but being off the bike because of a preventable injury is something I can't take.

Who cares what looks people give you. I have seen too many threads on this newsgroup that start with rider down.

I also ride a 52 lbs BigHit that likes to go fast.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    i dont have a dh helmet so im always wearing the xc one even on my faith
    Moving a bit OT but if you need one you can't beat this price. I bought this one as a backup for less than $20 shipped.
    http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...e3aef048dfc025

mtbr member
    No worries. You'll fit right in out there with all the gear. If you see a guy that looks like a storm trooper that's my bro. We've been giving him shiz for years about wearing all that gear but not one piece hasn't been used to it's full potential.

I just picked up a Troy Lee Carbon for D-ville. Highly recommended!

Aug 2004
    This isn't a race, it's a BLAST !

Wear whatever you want ! FF helmet - stick a chicken to the top of it. Race in a speedo. Do WHATEVER makes you comfortablt and will let you have fun.

Personally I wuss up and get the FF Helmet, arm and leg guards and coudln't be happier about it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    Guys,

I'm going to be wearing the following for my Downieville trips this year:

Fox FF helmet
    Fox goggles
    661 Core Saver (new)
    Fox knee/shin guards

I know I'm going to look like a big time DH'er and will probably get some weird looks, but after seeing what can happen I'm not going to take any chances.

Am I crazy?

-Bullit

mtbr member
    With the speeds you hit going down DVille on a modern trail bike or dh bike a FF with knee and elbow protection is a good idea. Here's us armored up at DVille last weekend - http://dhreno.wordpress.com/2007/05/...butcher-ranch/ Good times!
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -------- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

dcubed
    Full stormtrooper for me. FF moto helmet, no vented light-weight one. Legs, and a pressure suit. And I will be with you on the full DH rig.

My superlight is complaining about my big @ss on it in the bumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Giro Remedy FF + Rockgardn Flakjacket pressure suit + leg armor.

Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Giro Remedy FF + Rockgardn Flakjacket pressure suit + leg armor.

Dayyamm! Word.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    yeah, what cletus said. some areas you can get going pretty dang fast. I wear my knee/shin and FF and sometimes elbow at d-ville.

Members who have read this thread: 0