Downhill shoes for clip-ins- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

Downhill shoes for clip-ins

I cant seem to find any ... what do you guys ride with? I want the crank bros mallets pedals.

Any suggestions

Pivotal figure
    Check Lake shoes. They make some decent high top style shoes with lots of ankle support and a lugged sole (like a hiking shoe)..
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

EastBaySteez
    For mallets or DH clips that have a platform I wouldnt ride anything except Skate shoes with the SPD adapters. I was riding the older gen (current) mallets with Sidi's always coming clipped out at random times (even with new cleats)

But now Im riding 661 Skate shoes with the same cleats and its concrete. Im itchin to try Time Z's with skate shoes.

The new mallets are sexy, I love the idea of grip pins.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

pdh
    mtbr member
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    We stock bot the the Adidas Hematoma ahd the Shimano MP 66, probably 2 the most popular offerings out there.

The Hemas are armored around the toe box, and are on sale

The Shimanos are, well ,cool right now

https://www.go-ride.com/CategoryProd...RIDER:Footwear

Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    i like the second ones
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Shimano MP-65(DX). Lace and inside ankle prootection, Nuff said.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The Shimanos are, well ,cool right now
    http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/shi...6l_pd_m647_dx/
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Mar 2004
    I like SIDIs but then I have champagne taste...

Jun 2007
    When i get my new bike, my first dually, i will be buying new shoes. I dont want to go clipless, like i did on my last bike, straight away because it will take me some time to get used to a fully.

I need new shoes, theres no questions about it, but i cant afford a pair for flats, then a new pair when i go clipless, so i was thinking of getting the shimano's and not putting the cleats in them , and riding them on flats til i go clipless. What do you reckon?

Ricky DH
    Adidas Hematoma are bad-ass. Totally armored and can take a crash. I love them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just picked up a new pair of pearl izumis, only had a few rides on them so far but seem very promising, they seem on par with the quality of sidi but a little more of an aggressive downhill look

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1148638

i drink shower water
    I use adidas minretts for FR. but for racing i use 661 attacks. However i was told that Adidas is out of the Bike game.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i had some 661s for my mallots. But on my bike the shoes were too wide and i wasn't able to turn them enough to disengage them from the pedals.
    ended up just going platform.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Shimano DX's. I had a pair of 661 skate shoes that I didn't even get 2 months out of

mtbr member
    Those Hematomas look dope. I've been using the Specialized hi-top, the trail 110 or 120 (whichever one is the plastic sole not the carbon sole) and I love them. I need the extra upper protection and support because all the rock climbing that I've done in the past has left my right ankle absolutely wrecked. I need a shoe with good support for my right ankle so it doesn't roll on itself or pop... the Specialized shoe is definately my choice.

Freetard.
    I have the shimanos, and they're pretty sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantGeoff
    When i get my new bike, my first dually, i will be buying new shoes. I dont want to go clipless, like i did on my last bike, straight away because it will take me some time to get used to a fully.

I need new shoes, theres no questions about it, but i cant afford a pair for flats, then a new pair when i go clipless, so i was thinking of getting the shimano's and not putting the cleats in them , and riding them on flats til i go clipless. What do you reckon?
    you mean like the plastic "flat" that makes them half flat half spd?

terrible idea. the spd's that dont have a platform cage (a real one) surrounding them will eat up your ankles in DH/FR if you ride alot. If you have great ankles, you'll last maybe two years before it becomes a problem, but its the kinda thing where it'll haunt you for the rest of your life. for xc, and even trail riding its fine. Pony up and buy the real thing, or ride flats and don't switch to clips.

EastBaySteez

661+Mallet = Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by braz
    i had some 661s for my mallots. But on my bike the shoes were too wide and i wasn't able to turn them enough to disengage them from the pedals.
    ended up just going platform.
    I have 661's with mallets and love it.
    Its not the shoe that was too wide it is the pedal body making alot more contact with the sole of the shoe, which makes it harder to clip out. It could have also been the cleat not having enough space to engage and disengage the egg beater itself.

All those problems that you talked about are solved by riding an breaking it in.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by William42

terrible idea. the spd's that dont have a platform cage (a real one) surrounding them will eat up your ankles in DH/FR if you ride alot. If you have great ankles, you'll last maybe two years before it becomes a problem, but its the kinda thing where it'll haunt you for the rest of your life. for xc, and even trail riding its fine. Pony up and buy the real thing, or ride flats and don't switch to clips.
    No, i mean the bike im buying comes with DMR V8's is all. Eventually once i get used to riding a dually i will go back to PD-M545s, what i had on my hardtail.

mtbr member

i drink shower water
    I am looking at rocking these this season

Prison is hard, everything else is easy

The Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    I am looking at rocking these this season

Those are great. It looks like I found a replacement for my DXes!!!
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member

Idea! bad ankles.. good to know

Quote Originally Posted by William42

first off.. sorry to resurrect & hijack an old thread, but I was just doing some research for new shoes/pedals when I read this post

So, I currently ride SPECIALIZED BG TAHO MTB SHOE on top of SHIMANO M520 PEDALS. So far no complaints with either pedals or shoes. I too started out riding XC trails, but have moved onto bombing DH fairly quickly. My search began when I damaged one of my pedals during an overhaul today and have come to want inner ankle bone protection my shoes do lack. I'd never thought about the "need" for a cage around the SPD for support during big drops or jumps ..in fact, I sold my pair of SHIMANO M647 PEDALS because I felt the weight penalty out weighed the benefit of having the wider platform should you need to ride a section unclipped In fact, I found it easier to ride with the smaller SPD pedal unclipped than the larger caged in version.

I guess I'm now worried that I made a mistake in ditching the hybrid SPD/PLATFORM pedals in haste ..your thoughts based on personal experience are appreciated

Members who have read this thread: 0