downhill helmet innovation- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

downhill helmet innovation

Does anyone have any serious suggestions to innovation in the design of downhill helmets to make the experience of riding better and more enjoyable? Are there any suggestions to the style of designs? Has anyone seen any cool new ideas? This is for my b-tech project so please help.

mtbr member
    I'd want one with headphones and a hole cut in the front of the fullface to spit out of. But you should do your own homework. slacker.

rack admirer

I have a better challenge

Why did the Giro Switchblade fail?

Trail-type riders are open to lots of facial and dental trouble that the light plastic Switchblade bar seemed to address. I have endoed chin first, and received countless branch lashes from limbs that look leafy buy are quite solid. I thought it was too pricey, but addressed a need. When It was discontinued, you never saw it on the discount sites at half price because production was sold.

DH and Motocross helmets have stayed stable for a long time because of the need for strenght first. Trail helmets are disposable after a good smack and solid face protection under those circumstances in a light package has a place in the trail MTB scope.
    MCM # 57

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    Why did the Giro Switchblade fail?
    It failed because the helmet looked like a DH helmet, but offered none of the protection. As such, people used them improperly, and got hurt. The mouth guard tended to shatter on impact, sending nice, sharp plastic pieces into your face. The vent holes in the guard - without inner screens to keep stuff out - also could catch branches and shove them into your teeth and gums. The Switchblade was a regular XC/trail helmet posing as something much more protective. It was also stupid expensive.

To the original poster, I'm not really sure if there's much room to think outside the box when it comes to DH helmet design. If you could possibly come up with a shell/liner material with better impact absorption capabilities than what's being used, that might facilitate some changes to the overall ergonomic design without compromising protection. The top thing on my list would be to improve ventilation without risking breaking the egg inside the shell.

Good luck!