Doubling Up Shammies?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Doubling Up Shammies?

What's everyone's opinion on this? Good idea? Bad idea?

I only ask because I have a really warm set of fleece lined bibs that are awesome when the temps drop below 30* BUT I have found their padding to be less than adequate when riding 40+ miles.

So, I thought of wearing my normal (More comfortable) riding shorts under the bibs, but wasn't sure of possible negative effects of doubled up padding?

Thoughts?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Only one way to find out I think.

But consider that if 2 chamois were a good idea somebody would be out there making a double-stuff chamois.

Maybe you can cut the worn chamois out of the insulated bibs and just use them as tights.

Broken Hipster
    Give it a go and find out?
    Worst that can happen is stopping occasionally to dislodge a wedgie.
    This time of the year I go with the padded lycra with Under Armour "long johns" and my Endura 3/4 shorts over.
    And yes, sometimes the wedgie is an issue.
    But I'm warm.

It will look funny when you're not on the bike, but there is little chance that it will cause an issue if you're not riding a super long way (i.e. if you're riding 20 miles or less I can't imagine an issue). That being said, I have three pairs of tights in different weights and I frequently double them up over shorts but they're unlined.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    - we all look funny when not on the bike I've got a pair of good cold/wet weather tights with a built in pad that I often wear over my regular padded shorts. At first I thought it would be weird, my other 2 sets of tights have no chamois, but I don't notice it at all in any way now.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    (i.e. if you're riding 20 miles or less I can't imagine an issue).
    That's the issue, I am getting ready for a long distance time trial in January so all my rides are basically 30+.

Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    - we all look funny when not on the bike I've got a pair of good cold/wet weather tights with a built in pad that I often wear over my regular padded shorts. At first I thought it would be weird, my other 2 sets of tights have no chamois, but I don't notice it at all in any way now.
    I have some tights as well, but what I like most about the bibs is they also cover your belly and part of your chest. So they really help keep your core warm as well.

Good to hear though. I may try it out this weekend. My main worry is just getting 25 miles out, realizing it was a mistake, and still being 25 miles from the truck. Haha
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

psycho cyclo addict
    A buddy of mine who completed the tour divide ride (2,745 unassisted MTB miles) a few years back ended up doubling shammies to prevent further shreddage... so yes, it is a viable option. The other thing he came back saying was: start with your saddle height a bit lower to avoid excessive irritation.

You may also want to try (in advance) riding with a thin seamless liner instead of doubling shammies with a pair of riding shorts under the bibs and see if that is sufficient.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Doubling up your padded shorts is an old roadie trick for early season training before you build up a butt callous. So it's certainly been done and I don't see any reason that you shouldn't try it. I like unpadded winter tights/pants myself, so I can just wear regular padded shorts under them so you also might consider removing the pad in your fleece tights. (if you can do so without damaging them.)

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas. Got a nice cool 30* morning coming up Saturday. May as well test it out.

mtbr member
    The original cycling chamois were actually sheep skin, like the chamois you might use to dry your car. They offered no padding and were intended to add body to the fabric to prevent it from bunching and chafing. That's still the basic purpose of modern synthetic chamois. They're too soft to add any significant padding. They basically crush to nothing under your weight.

Chamois cream originally were products used to keep the sheep skin chamois from getting stiff and hard when dried out. Synthetic chamois don't need it, but people still like to lube their butts with it.
    Do the math.

Moderator Moderator
    I do it all the time on long road rides, I usually use a new pair as the first layer, with an older pair over them. Perfect for those shorts where the leg grippers are bacon stripping. In roadie forums it's scoffed at and said to be detremental to your junk, I say "eh, whatever" I've got a 55 year old butt, it's not as well padded as it used to be, and on a loooong road ride, where you don't move around as much like you do on a mtb, it can make a big difference.

I always use butt butter on all day rides like that, for comfort and hygiene, they also have antibacterial/antifungal goodies in them.

I only double up on mtbs when it's going to be an all day affair, or sometimes in the spring. You stand so much more on an mtb, it's less of an issue.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Thanks fellas. Got a nice cool 30* morning coming up Saturday. May as well test it out.
    yup give it a go joe.........

i can/do wear lycra padded shorts under my baggies with good results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    yup give it a go joe.........

i can/do wear lycra padded shorts under my baggies with good results.
    Well yeah, I do that as well with no issues. I am talking about trying padded lycra under my padded bibs thought. I was worried about bunching and looking for others' experience mostly.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Well yeah, I do that as well with no issues. I am talking about trying padded lycra under my padded bibs thought. I was worried about bunching and looking for others' experience mostly.
    i forgot to state my baggies have a pad, hence they are doubled up.....not tight fitting though. I've also used them as you mention ( shorts & bibs)on my roadie that helps out quite a bit for early season rides.

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0