Does anyone try to seal the bottom of their bike shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Does anyone try to seal the bottom of their bike shoes?

My old Nike shoes used to let in water thru the 2 slots in the sole for the cleat screws to go thru. I tried to fill the slots with RTV silicone. I was thinking of using rubber gasket material to try to seal my newer Sidi Dominator 4s(inside between the sole and the threaded plate. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? yes, I know...don't put your foot down, ever.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    My old Nike shoes used to let in water thru the 2 slots in the sole for the cleat screws to go thru. I tried to fill the slots with RTV silicone. I was thinking of using rubber gasket material to try to seal my newer Sidi Dominator 4s(inside between the sole and the threaded plate. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? yes, I know...don't put your foot down, ever.
    I use aluminum stovepipe tape over the cleat pocket on the inside of the shoe, under the insole. Works well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nat
    mtbr member
    I don't worry about it, but you might consider duct tape since it's 100% waterproof.

"Mr. Britannica"
    My old Nike shoes used to let in water thru the 2 slots in the sole for the cleat screws to go thru. I tried to fill the slots with RTV silicone. I was thinking of using rubber gasket material to try to seal my newer Seedee Dominator 4s(inside between the sole and the threaded plate. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? yes, I know...don't put your foot down, ever.
    Don't most pedals/cleats come with a sticker to put over the plate on the inside of the shoe?

I also fill the slots with Shoo Goo after the cleats are mounted. Not sure if it's waterproof or even needed, but I do it anyway. Eventually it will wear and peel up.

the wrench
    why would u want to close that hole cause being one of the lowest parts on youre shoe its an automatic drain for when water splashes up and into youre shoe or else if u seal the holes up youre shoe will become a basin for water and soon enough you will be pedaling a 5lb shoe.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    why would u want to close that hole cause being one of the lowest parts on youre shoe its an automatic drain for when water splashes up and into youre shoe or else if u seal the holes up youre shoe will become a basin for water and soon enough you will be pedaling a 5lb shoe.
    I like how you mentioned the added weight associated with the water rather than the fact that having a shoe full of water would be terribly uncomfortable

Mar 2004

second the shoe goo

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Don't most pedals/cleats come with a sticker to put over the plate on the inside of the shoe?

I also fill the slots with Shoo Goo after the cleats are mounted. Not sure if it's waterproof or even needed, but I do it anyway. Eventually it will wear and peel up.
    I'm sure there are a multitude of substances one could use to seal the cleat slots in shoes. I've always used Shoe Goo and it seem to work just fine. Yes, if you do a thorough job, it's waterproof, and no I haven't had any problem with it peeling off, as it's In the holes, not just applied to the sole. Although I have heard of folks actually building up lugs out of Shoe Goo on their cyclocross shoes so they could get more traction when running.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My point exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    I like how you mentioned the added weight associated with the water rather than the fact that having a shoe full of water would be terribly uncomfortable

Try riding 15 to 20 miles with a wet/soaked sock and foot.