Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?

I can't stand not wearing a watch .. I like watches and have a bunch of them.. mostly dive watches.. but dive watches aren't really made for mtb and I don't want to mash them so I generally wear a Casio G-Shock DW-5600 which is a $45~ish watch so no biggie if something happened to it..

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-fitz.jpg

As you can see my Cat Fitz is highly approving of this fine watch choice..

Anyways do you wear a watch if so what while riding?

when not riding I can frequently be found wearing some of these (plus a whole ton more I won't show them all).

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-group2.jpg

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-size_2.jpg

mtbr member
    I wear a samsung gear S3 so that I'll have phone service, but don't have to carry a big phone with me. So far it has been great and has survived a couple crashes well

mtbr member
    Depending on where I'm riding I have a watch. I have to have a watch on all the time.

I usually wear my citizen watch. It's smaller than my other ones and a bit simpler. Even though I have time on my Garmin I wear the watch.

mtbr member
    I tried a few times and it just wasn't comfortable. I've got some skinny wrists and the watch moves around way too much. It's banging off the bone on my wrist.

Most of my watches are on a NATO strap.

I got an SKX for Christmas from my GF. Awesome watch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I tried a few times and it just wasn't comfortable. I've got some skinny wrists and the watch moves around way too much. It's banging off the bone on my wrist.

Most of my watches are on a NATO strap.

I got an SKX for Christmas from my GF. Awesome watch.
    very nice.. SKX is a personal favorite of mine

here are mine::

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-009_a35.jpg

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I wear a Garmin Forerunner 35, if that's watch enough for you

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Since 2000 I have only worn one watch biking...

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-fullsizeoutput_a7.jpg

jcd's best friend
    I never could wear a watch at all. My hands would go numb wearing them. It could be related to my carpal tunnel problems. I had to loosen the watch so much that it slipped around my wrist all day. I decided to not bother with them anymore.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I don't wear this biking ever, but it's a pretty cool watch nonetheless. Also picked up around 2000. It was a TLD limited run.

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-fullsizeoutput_a6.jpg

Interplanetary Poultry
    I ride with a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Mainly to be able to answer the phone if my wife or daughters call while I'm riding.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_a7.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	1235895
    nice.. honestly I don't think I could bring myself to wear a rolex while mtb riding.. but I respect you for doing it...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    nice.. honestly I don't think I could bring myself to wear a rolex while mtb riding.. but I respect you for doing it...
    I didn't notice the big gash in the bezel to the left of the zero marker until I posted that pic. I was able to polish most of it out but yeah - that watch has obviously taken some hits.

I would like to give it to my daughter some day. Maybe I should think about not wearing it anymore, and consider myself lucky that it survived 18+ years of unpampered abuse.

mtbr member
    I have a thing for watches so yes I always wear one. Usually wear the breitling for about everything but have had to replace the crystal twice due to scratches that occurred while riding so now it's one of two others.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just wear whatever watch I have in circulation at the time. Never even gave it a thought. Any fairly rugged waterproof sport or dive watch will do. I guess I'd leave out a "delicate" dress watch, not that I wear them often.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What is this "watch" thing? Does it tell time, like a phone?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What is this "watch" thing? Does it tell time, like a phone?

Ha, that's what I was thinking. Other than a love of jewelry I can't understand the appeal, and even if I were into jewelry I'm not sure I'd care about it on the trail.

I guess if you don't carry a phone or GPS and and are time crunched they would still have a useful function.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I always wear a watch when riding. Use it tell time. That is handy to know how long I have been out riding and quick check on pace (where I expect to be at certain time) and general use. I wear cheap sports watch I got at walmart. Digital and Velco band so no "in between" sizes. Plus lightweight.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Apple Watch Series 3 LTE

It tells time plus I don't have to carry my phone. It charges pretty fast, too, and I can get about two days on a charge if I don't use the phone for too long.

Most people just text me, anyway, and I can get my emails as well.

It's completely waterproof. I swim with it and have had no problems.

I only bring my phone now when bikepacking...more for the camera then anything else.

mtbr member
    Fitbit Surge. Bought it used for $40. Has its own GPS, so I don't have to eat up phone battery to track rides. It beams the data from rides and runs to Strava with ease. The calorie, step, stair, and heart rate info has been useful as well. I wear it all day, every day, but it's especially useful for riding and running. It sends texts to me as well, so if someone texts me during a ride, I don't have to dig my phone out of my pack to check it.

mtbr member
    I don't wear a watch, havn't for over thirty years. Don't think I even own one. I have a phone which has the time on it, everyone around you has a watch and the few places that's no the case are places I probably don't want to know the time.

So I guess the only reason I'd want to wear a watch is.. an ego thing? Make a statement of some kind?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I love mechanical watches. Most of mine are vintage (several Olmas from the 60s and 70s, a Oris After 5 from the 60s, an Elgin from 1929, a Smiths Empire) or Vostoks (from Russia).

I wear a G-shock for biking. It is much easier to check the time then pulling the phone out of the pack. But I'd like to get something with heart rate and GPS.
    Niner WFO9, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (town/workout/gravel)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Garmin Vivoactive 3. I use a 820 to record my rides but the Vivoactive is a good backup plus I can record other stuff too like kayaking, swimming, etc. It's not perfect but better than most of the other smart watchers IMO.

Meatbomb
    I never wear a watch..... These days everywhere you look there is a clock.

mtbr member
    I also wear a samsung gear frontier. Waterproof, shock proof and direct connection to Map my ride which is my default cycling metric thingy. That way I can bury my phone in my pack and just focus on riding but still have phone call ability and text ability.

I used to be a watch hound, with a drawer filled with watches at home but since the smart watch came into my life it is the only one I wear, unless my phone is dead, then i will pull out my Nike Oregon digital because it is nicely sized to not conflict with my gloves and has been rock solid for over 20 years now.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Exactly! I used to wear watches, but haven't in 25+ years.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Breitling Aerospace
    Do the math.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Analog for me.

I wear my Citizen all the time. I've forgotten to take it off even when welding, so unfortunately the crystal has some pits in it, but it's tough as nails overall.
    45=25

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Haven't worn a watch in a decade, and when I'm riding I don't care what time it is.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    It's not about the clock.
    I wear a Sunnto GPS wrist computer while riding. This thing tells me about anything I need to know including est recovery time, EPOC, PTE. How much time is spent in which HR zones, time spent climbing, desending, on flat ground, ect. And about 20 other aspects of the ride/workout.
    I don't have to carry my phone and worry about breaking it or getting it wet in a downpour or water crossing.
    The watch is transferable to just about any sport, including water sports. And I don't have to worry about mounting it anywhere, or it flying off in a crash like some GPS units.
    I do use a cheapo Bryton GPS on the bars because it has a huge display and is easier to read when going 20mph. But I use the "Watch" to download all the info.
    And after calming me down with some orange slices and fetal spooning, ET revealed to me my singular purpose.

mtbr member
    Fitbit Ionic user here. I will probably switch to Garmin when this breaks as Fitbit can;t seem to get their crap together around synching. As others have mentioned, it tracks my ride via GPS and I can upload to STRAVA after without worrying about my phone.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I love mechanical watches. Most of mine are vintage (several Olmas from the 60s and 70s, a Oris After 5 from the 60s, an Elgin from 1929, a Smiths Empire) or Vostoks (from Russia).

I wear a G-shock for biking. It is much easier to check the time then pulling the phone out of the pack. But I'd like to get something with heart rate and GPS.
    I also like old mechanical watches (no interest in quartz movement and digital watches)... donít wear them when riding though..

My coolest one is a 1920ís rectangular white gold Tiffany watch with small second hand that has Rolex internals! Bought it from a retiring watchmaker back in the 1990ís. It was his favorite timepiece as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    Just wear whatever watch I have in circulation at the time. Never even gave it a thought. Any fairly rugged waterproof sport or dive watch will do. I guess I'd leave out a "delicate" dress watch, not that I wear them often.
    This. Never think about which watch I was wearing when I get ready to ride. I have two I rotate with, usually.

As for the "you have a clock on your phone" crowd, sure. Much easier to look at my wrist, than stop and pull out my phone if I need the time, whether on the trail or elsewhere. Plus, I've worn a watch since I was about 10 or 12 years old, so feel naked without one! Habit now as much as a need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Mechanical watches only! Right now its a Marathon general field watch, I wear it when biking, except in the summer because of sweat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    As for the "you have a clock on your phone" crowd, sure. Much easier to look at my wrist, than stop and pull out my phone if I need the time, whether on the trail or elsewhere
    I never wear a watch but have been thinking about buying one just for riding because of this reason. As a working dad my rides are often time constrained and I check the time often (maybe too often!). I haven't seen any clocks on my trails so I keep stopping to pull my phone out

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Apple Watch, 'cause I have it and it's waterproof (we have plenty of lakes to get a swim in around).

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Fitness tracker, Samsung Gear Fit 2.

mtbr member
    Have not worn a watch (or any jewelry) for about 20 years. I got married in 1984 and ditched my wedding ring (not my wife) after about a year. I just don't like crap attached to my wrist and hands.

OP...I used to do some diving back in the 90's and have that exact same dive watch stuffed in a drawer somewhere. I only used it for dives...freakin' thing is HUGE!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Exactly! I used to wear watches, but haven't in 25+ years.
    I stopped wearing watches when I got my first pager in the early 90's. I had clipped to the inside of my pocket...so when I need to check the time...I'd just look down at my pocket. I started wearing a watch when I starting using a mobile phone and got rid of the pager. It's just easier to look at a watch to check the time.

mtbr member
    Other reason I wear a watch is that in my job majority of the time I either can't touch my phone because my hands are dirty or my phone is in my truck because I'm soaking wet from sprinklers. I can go all day without my phone. Knowing what time it is can be important.

My father in law is a crane operator. He has custom made overalls for his pocket watch. That's a whole different story.

turtles make me hot
    I have a Timex Expedition that I wear to work and usually wear when I'm riding. Sometimes, like if I'm on vacation, I wear my titanium Citizen.
    I like turtles

Elitest thrill junkie
    And I did have a nice citizen that I used to wear, but that thing would get so damn banged up, just even at work, but especially when riding/wrenching. Just made no sense to wear it, and I don't care about how fashionable it makes me look.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I wear a samsung gear S3 so that I'll have phone service, but don't have to carry a big phone with me. So far it has been great and has survived a couple crashes well
    I as well (except the phone part), my phone is usually with me for Strava and obligatory pics :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I hike and ride using a Citizen divers watch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Haven't worn a watch in a decade, and when I'm riding I don't care what time it is.
    I donít care what time it is either. Great life style but.....I wear a watch for unlimited variety of music on long rides and for emergency cell coverage so my Wife can call for assistance. I guess I could call her if I crash but I stopped putting myself on the ground. Also see the weather on the face like temp, wind speed and direction and so on.

mtbr member
    sometimes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    good stuff.. I really prefer to be able to quickly check my wrist for the time.. partly to figure out how soon it will be getting dark / how long till I need to head back.. whatever.. my phone isn't much use for that while on a bike..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Breitling Aerospace
    You wear that riding?
    Please tell me you're kidding.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    You wear that riding?

I used to wear a Rolex while riding until a scumbag pulled a knife and told me to flip it to him. I pulled a 45 Kimber and he ran. Stopped wearing the watch that night. Now I just wear the Apple

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I wear a super cheap digital Casio. It's so light that I barely feel it and if I bash it into oblivion, I can replace it for less than 10 bucks. But it works perfectly fine.
    do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-91jegixgwml._sl1500_.jpg

I also often forget to change watches and end up wearing a slightly more expensive (but still not that expensive) Casio dive watch that I wear all the time. It's a tough watch so I'm not really worried about it, but the weight sometimes pushes the stem into my wrist, particularly if I'm doing things like bunny hopping so I try to take it off for any serious riding. An amazing watch for the price though.
    do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-91jxi3hy2nl._uy879_.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I also like old mechanical watches (no interest in quartz movement and digital watches)... donít wear them when riding though..

My coolest one is a 1920ís rectangular white gold Tiffany watch with small second hand that has Rolex internals! Bought it from a retiring watchmaker back in the 1990ís. It was his favorite timepiece as well.

Oh that sounds like a cool one. I love the tank style watches. But yeah I don't wear my mechanicals while biking or doing yardwork.
    Niner WFO9, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (town/workout/gravel)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I wear the Apple Watch, it has the fall alert, allows me to answer calls without digging through my bag, runs Strava, and has my heart rate data. I guess it is a possibility of breaking it at some point but so far so good.

Bikesexual
    You guys take phone calls while riding??
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I do not wear a watch.
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

mtbr member

Sometimes, depends who's calling. I keep my phone in a rear jersey pocket so I can check calls (or time) on the fly.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't wear this biking ever, but it's a pretty cool watch nonetheless. Also picked up around 2000. It was a TLD limited run.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_a6.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	1235894
    Yes, I have another variant of the limited TLD watches:
    do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-img_20190201_121230.jpg

Thanks for sharing yours, they are pretty cool watches!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    It's not about the clock.

That's what the op seems to be about. A fitness watch is a different deal and that would be useful for me.

Also I guess I might consider wearing a (regular) watch if I didn't have easy access to my phone, but then again if that were the case I'd probably just get a bar mounted GPS or a smartwatch.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Pro Crastinator
    do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-flavor.flav.jpg

mtbr member
    I do. I can either sit at my desk and wait for calls or a can go riding when I want and stop if some one calls me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I wear a super cheap digital Casio. It's so light that I barely feel it and if I bash it into oblivion, I can replace it for less than 10 bucks. But it works perfectly fine.

Name:	91JegIxgwML._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	1236120

I also often forget to change watches and end up wearing a slightly more expensive (but still not that expensive) Casio dive watch that I wear all the time. It's a tough watch so I'm not really worried about it, but the weight sometimes pushes the stem into my wrist, particularly if I'm doing things like bunny hopping so I try to take it off for any serious riding. An amazing watch for the price though.

Name:	91jXI3HY2nL._UY879_.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	1236121
    Casio makes some awesome watches for the price.

I still have my "Mudman" from either 99 or 2000. Friend of mine bought it for me when he went to the Tokyo Auto Salon in Japan. I don't really wear it anymore. I can't remember the last time the battery was changed.

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-img_1029.jpg

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-img_1028.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    You wear that riding?

Yep. I wear it just about all the time. Damaged it once crashing on a road bike and needed to get a new case. I own it to wear it, not admire it on my dresser.
    Do the math.

Always in the wrong gear
    I wear my series2 Apple Watch. It runs my Strava.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I do. I can either sit at my desk and wait for calls or a can go riding when I want and stop if some one calls me.
    Thats how I feel about it to. I am a realtor I have scheduled a showing pulled off to the side of the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abaughman View Post
    Thats how I feel about it to. I am a realtor I have scheduled a showing pulled off to the side of the trail.
    Before I retired, I was a Railroad Superintendent and was always on call. Cell phones allowed me to ride almost anywhere and still do my work. Some hate the phones but it allows many like me to continue our lifestyle and keep our careers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Samsung gear S3 Frontier. This is my everyday watch. As others hav3 already stated, it allows me to put my phone in the bag under my seat and still have the ability to take calls and texts. It also has some good tracking features like distance traveled, heart rate etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sometimes I have to. I'm a physician so I have to take some calls.

The beauty of the Apple watch is that I can see who is calling or texting me without having to dig out the phone (if I'm even carrying it).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Before I retired, I was a Railroad Superintendent and was always on call. Cell phones allowed me to ride almost anywhere and still do my work. Some hate the phones but it allows many like me to continue our lifestyle and keep our careers.
    Unfortunately I am never called about anything good.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Why a watch is greater than a phone:
    Doesn't die after one day away from a charger.
    About 1 tenth the size.
    No radiation.
    Can easily be read in bright sunlight.
    Doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to replace.
    Far more weather/impact proof.
    You can check it in the dark without constricting your pupils.
    Adds to your appearance.
    If the battery goes, no fire.
    Less environmental impact/footprint.
    No monthly bill or forced obsolescence.
    Doesn't alert you unless you set it to.
    Not a tracking/surveillance device (if you're concerned

For daily life, I have been trying to go old school, wear a watch, be on time and leave the phone in the car. For cycling, no watch and a phone for emergencies. None of the above are of greater concern than needing a ride/medical assistance.

My watch of choice is a Casio OCW P1000

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Time is one of the fields on my bike computer so I don't miss race starts.

Other than that I rarely find myself wondering what time it is and certainly wouldn't shackle myself by the wrist to a contraption displaying the pathetic human concept of time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    Why a watch is greater than a phone:
    Doesn't die after one day away from a charger.
    Not if you are in airplane mode and if you are out for multiple days a GPS/computer unit is probably a better idea anyway.
    About 1 tenth the size.
    Sure, but I've smashed watches probably more than phones, due to their more exposed nature.
    No radiation.
    Well, not only was this determined to not link to cancer with any correlation, but your watch still has an electromagnetic field since it's an electrical device, so technically there "is" radiation, but the scare from the 90s has turned out to be not proven, so the entire point is invalid.
    Can easily be read in bright sunlight.
    Depends on analog, etc. Generally easier to view, unless we are comparing against a bike computer.
    Doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to replace.
    Depends, watches go from a few bucks up to thousands, plus as I mentioned above, I've found them to be more exposed and easier to damage. That's why my citizen is sitting at home and I don't use it.
    Far more weather/impact proof.
    Again, more exposed, some have decent water-proofing, but if it's solar powered you have to keep it more exposed and then if you are constantly brushing vegetation it can get quite annoying.
    You can check it in the dark without constricting your pupils.
    Depends, phones have night-bright levels and more expensive watches have the tritium or whatever, but then that kind of erases the "cheap watches" benefit above, as those types of watches are generally much more expensive.
    Adds to your appearance.
    I guess, if you like gold chains, ear-rings, things hanging off your extremities, etc.
    If the battery goes, no fire.
    Used to be true, but more and more are using lithium batteries.
    Less environmental impact/footprint.
    I went through a lot of watches as a kid and early adult. I'd have to question that.
    No monthly bill or forced obsolescence.
    Sure, unless it's a GPS watch like a Garmin.
    Doesn't alert you unless you set it to.
    Exactly like a phone.
    Not a tracking/surveillance device (if you're concerned
    Not concerned.
    For daily life, I have been trying to go old school, wear a watch, be on time and leave the phone in the car. For cycling, no watch and a phone for emergencies. None of the above are of greater concern than needing a ride/medical assistance.

My watch of choice is a Casio OCW P1000
    This is why I have a personal locator beacon, its tiny, broadcasts on 406mhz directly to the NOAA sarsat, which goes directly to search and rescue (no third parties or commercial parties). A phone is a poor substitute for this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Huawei watch 2 4g for me so I can run packless with no phone but still make calls if I need too. Also runs strava and a trail map app.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Stand-up philosopher
    Great S3, but only really for time and alerts. The GPS in it sucks and I still use Endomondo from my phone to track my rides. It's nice to be able to see what my messages are or who's calling so I can figure out if I need to stop and answer it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Jayem

I do not doubt plenty of studies have shown cellphone radiation is right-o. Mobile phones/telecom is a $2triillion+ industry worldwide. But there are others that have proven it mutates DNA, sperm cells etc. No one knows what that long term exposure will do to todays children and their reproductive health.

Solar watches last months without charging, and can charge off indoor lighting in a day.

A phone that is a replaced every few years, has a large battery and draws power from the wall daily has an exponentially larger environmental impact than a watch that lasts decades with a tiny battery and no power draw.

Yes you can set your phone to airplane or no alert mode. But then it is just a large, expensive, fragile, power hungry watch. The calls, texts etc are what give it its value. With that value you have to take the downside which is calls, texts etc that you would have preferred to ignore.

You keep saying the exposed nature of a watch, but that only speaks to its advantages of compactness and durability. You could wear your phone on your wrist or wrap your watch in a case and put it in a bag, but doing either seems silly due to their size and durability characteristics.

I am not anti phone. Just stating why one is not a stictly better substitute for a watch. If I had to only have one or the other, I would no question, take a phone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post

Name:	91JegIxgwML._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	1236120

Name:	91jXI3HY2nL._UY879_.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	1236121
    that dive watch is a lot of watch for $40.. nice !

Elitest thrill junkie
    I will say this, in grade school I had Tetris watch. It was the best thing ever. If there was one thing from that era that I should have kept, that would be it.

mtbr member
    I will say this, in grade school I had Tetris watch. It was the best thing ever. If there was one thing from that era that I should have kept, that would be it.

Rad.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    I used to wear a watch when I first started riding; it became unbearable once I started to sweat.. then in colder weather, harder to see if you've got sleeves in the way. Once I got a mounted Garmin, seriously rendered watches obsolete.

mtbr member
    Well, not only was this determined to not link to cancer with any correlation, but your watch still has an electromagnetic field since it's an electrical device, so technically there "is" radiation, but the scare from the 90s has turned out to be not proven, so the entire point is invalid.
    Unless you have a mechanical watch. I have one battery powered and one mechanical, perpetual winding (by arm motion). No field with the mechanical one!

Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    Jayem

I do not doubt plenty of studies have shown cellphone radiation is right-o. Mobile phones/telecom is a $2triillion+ industry worldwide. But there are others that have proven it mutates DNA, sperm cells etc. No one knows what that long term exposure will do to todays children and their reproductive health.

I am not anti phone. Just stating why one is not a stictly better substitute for a watch. If I had to only have one or the other, I would no question, take a phone.
    Yes, there are studies that say it does stuff. In the Navy, my job was electronic countermeasures. I sat on top of and beside extremely high powered transmitters ranging from lower frequencies (khz) to high frequencies in the Ghz range. Plenty of hours with these things blasting away. No impact and my kid is perfect (as perfecta as a tween/teen can be!). None of my shipmates have any health issues outside the normal range of stuff, so I tend to agree that those studies that say the low power outputs of phones have an impact are slanted.

As for having to choose just one, I'd take the watch. Mechanical watch, at that. Once the zombie apocalypse comes, cell phones will be useless!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    As for having to choose just one, I'd take the watch. Mechanical watch, at that. Once the zombie apocalypse comes, cell phones will be useless!

They'll only be worth their weight in gold, all those pretty Rolex watches will go into the melting pot.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    This watch Seiko SRP637 (shrouded Monster) was a gift from my wife for xmas a couple years ago.. this is the heaviest / biggest watch I own.. I quite like it..

do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-637_carlsberg.jpg

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    This watch Seiko SRP637 (shrouded Monster) was a gift from my wife for xmas a couple years ago.. this is the heaviest / biggest watch I own.. I quite like it..

Name:	637_Carlsberg.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	1236487
    Nice!

What is to the left of the beer can? With the tube(s)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Nice!

What is to the left of the beer can? With the tube(s)?
    thanx.. the thing with the tubes is a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier, with vintage USA made tubes (RCA 6SN7GT and RCA 6AS7G)..

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Oh that sounds like a cool one. I love the tank style watches. But yeah I don't wear my mechanicals while biking or doing yardwork.
    It is quite the cool one...do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-screen-shot-2019-02-03-6.06.45-pm.jpg
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    This.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dylandewandel View Post
    I used to wear a watch when I first started riding; it became unbearable once I started to sweat.. then in colder weather, harder to see if you've got sleeves in the way. Once I got a mounted Garmin, seriously rendered watches obsolete.
    Well that depends what you wear a watch for. I use my Apple 4 almost exclusively for music via Air Pods and emergency cell purposes. The rest of the watch is nonsense to me, especially when you run a Garmin 1030.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    This.

Mostly agree, unless you're doing an out & back and don't have lights or extra clothing. Gotta adhere to your turn around time, I've pushed it a time or 2 and it can be an unpleasant ride back when the sun sinks below the horizon and it drops 20 degrees.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

Name:	637_Carlsberg.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	1236487
    I'd be afraid of dinging that up on a ride; that is nice.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Sometimes I have to. I'm a physician so I have to take some calls.
    I play hockey with a guy who is a heart surgeon, and he brings his work phone on to the bench during games. More than once, he has had to leave mid game for an emergency surgery...

I wear my GArmin Vivoactive watch all the time since my heart attack. It tracks everything I need...ride maps, heart rate, zone time etc. At first, I didn't like it cause it was so big, but now I am used to it. I just use the Garmin Connect app/software to keep records of the info. I usually only have my phone on rides for the camera or for communications after the ride. I do use it for GPS on some longer rides occasionally.

Before that I had 2 Fossil analog watches from the mid 90's that I wore until they started to get beat up. I really like the design of the original Fossil stuff...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Mostly agree, unless you're doing an out & back and don't have lights or extra clothing. Gotta adhere to your turn around time, I've pushed it a time or 2 and it can be an unpleasant ride back when the sun sinks below the horizon and it drops 20 degrees.
    that and if you are wearing prescription sunglasses, it is almost like riding at night with no lights as the sun goes away for the night. I hate that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I can't stand not wearing a watch .. I like watches and have a bunch of them.. mostly dive watches.. but dive watches aren't really made for mtb and I don't want to mash them so I generally wear a Casio G-Shock DW-5600 which is a $45~ish watch so no biggie if something happened to it..

Name:	fitz.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	1235841

when not riding I can frequently be found wearing some of these (plus a whole ton more I won't show them all).

Name:	group2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	1235843

Name:	size_2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	1235844
    I'm daily wearing a Seiko SRP779 that I got this past Christmas. It's like yours in the keyboard photo but it has the Pepsi (red/blue) bezel. I asked my wife for it as a gift so I could retire my 30 year old Seiko 6309 I bought new in the 80's. These Seiko's are great watches and my 6309 has never had the case opened. I may send it out for a lube/oil/filter now that it's retired.

I also see your probably a lefty like me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Name:	fullsizeoutput_a7.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	1235895
    Wow, biking with a Rolex Sea Dweller. If it's an actual Rolex and not a knock off your a braver man than me.

My father has a Submariner he bought in the late 60's. It will be in my collection some day, and the later the better is fine with me.

mtbr member
    I've worn my GMT II cycling. Not sure why that's brave.

Of course, I am in Bellingham where it's not that big a risk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed1774 View Post
    I'm daily wearing a Seiko SRP779 that I got this past Christmas. It's like yours in the keyboard photo but it has the Pepsi (red/blue) bezel. I asked my wife for it as a gift so I could retire my 30 year old Seiko 6309 I bought new in the 80's. These Seiko's are great watches and my 6309 has never had the case opened. I may send it out for a lube/oil/filter now that it's retired.

I also see your probably a lefty like me.
    awesome yeah the pepsi one is nice.. I got the black because I already had this SKX009:
    do you wear a watch while riding if so what watch?-strapcode_sony.jpg

you should definitely get the 6309 serviced.. MAKE SURE They don't start swapping out the dial / hands / bezel insert as old all orig 6309's are getting rare.. they still don't sell for that much $500~ish but they are cool.. especially when all original.

And yes sir, I am indeed a lefty as well

Snow Dog
    awesome yeah the pepsi one is nice.. I got the black because I already had this SKX009:

Name:	strapcode_sony.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1236732

you should definitely get the 6309 serviced.. MAKE SURE They don't start swapping out the dial / hands / bezel insert as old all orig 6309's are getting rare.. they still don't sell for that much $500~ish but they are cool.. especially when all original.

And yes sir, I am indeed a lefty as well
    are you in a recording studio there?
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed1774 View Post
    Wow, biking with a Rolex Sea Dweller. If it's an actual Rolex and not a knock off your a braver man than me.

My father has a Submariner he bought in the late 60's. It will be in my collection some day, and the later the better is fine with me.
    The thing is a tank. It's been to hell and back and has kept incredibly accurate time since 2000. I have never dropped it off for the servicing Rolex says is necessary from time to time. It's spent lot of time in temps ranging from minus 40 to plus 50 Celsius, it's been down to 150+ feet of seawater and yeah - it has seen 18+ years of continuous mountain biking. I generally don't take it off. Ever. So it has experienced everything I have experienced since 2000.

Nothing to fear. It's about the furthest thing from delicate that there can be.

mtbr member
    You cats wear some nice timepieces whilst riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love watches, own a couple automatics (Seiko, Air Blue) and solars (Citizens). But I never wear one while riding. If I did it would be a digital Pulsar that's my toss around watch for going in the water, etc. But still it would probably bounce around too much against my wrist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Name:	fitz.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	1235841

Name:	group2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	1235843

Name:	size_2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	1235844
    I wear a gshock for riding too. I have a smart watch for regular daily wear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy1 View Post
    Samsung gear S3 Frontier. This is my everyday watch. As others hav3 already stated, it allows me to put my phone in the bag under my seat and still have the ability to take calls and texts. It also has some good tracking features like distance traveled, heart rate etc.
    And the SOS feature

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Ha, that's what I was thinking. Other than a love of jewelry I can't understand the appeal, and even if I were into jewelry I'm not sure I'd care about it on the trail.

I guess if you don't carry a phone or GPS and and are time crunched they would still have a useful function.
    I'm just old, watch works well. You have to stop and pull the phone out of your pack? Or put it on your bars? Mine is analog. As a photographer I used to shoot a lot of polaroids for test lighting, would process for 30 sec. b&w, color was 45 seconds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Garmin vivoactive HR. Ugly rectangle for maximum wrist articulation! Wear it playing hockey too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast