Do You Go Light with Shoes ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Do You Go Light with Shoes ??

I mean, if you're going to go with light pedals, wouldn't it make sense to go with a light shoe?

I'm looking at new shoes. For $120 you get a good shoe. For $80 more, you drop 100 grams and get a stiff carbon sole.

Anyone?

Dec 2006
    Carbon soles are more than just Weight Weenie-ism, they really do help in terms of sole stiffness, and can be well worth it. I go with the best shoes that fit me comfortably. No point saving 10grams if it means by the end of the driveway I'm in pain.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Carbon soles and light shoes

Yes, I find carbon soles stiffer too!

And you should go for light shoes as we all know that rotating mass is the best place to save weight.

I really rate Specialized carbon soled shoes.

Carbon - it's good for your SOUL

Chaser.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My sidi bullets are very, very light. My old Diadora shoes are very, very heavy, and I do notice a difference for sure. I bring my scale with when shoe shopping. If 2 or 3 models fit well, then I weigh them and go with the lightest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have had the carbon Shimano M220 for over 5 years and they are still in pretty good shape. I would say that a carbon soled shoe can definitely last, and it's pretty beat up, the carbon is exposed on the bottom, so it gets hammered by sharp rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was just getting ready to post a new thread on light shoes when I saw this one. I've been bitten by the weight weinie bug and now I'm looking at my shoes with disgust. My current Specialized Sport MTB shoes were purchased 4 years ago and weigh in 910 grams (2 lbs) including the Shimano SPD mounting hardware. I guess if I'm going to spend big bucks on a new wheel set I should be looking at some lighter shoes. I went to ww.com but didn't see anything really useful. So to recap what has been posted so far, we have-
    - Specialized BG Experts- approximate weight 680g pair (#42) $170 list.
    - Sidi Bullets- About 721g. w/dirt (#43) About $150 on the net.
    - Shimano SH-M225 (current version) - 740g.
    - Sidi Dominator 5 - 710g

Those Specialized shoes are looking nice.
    Last edited by srwings; 05-21-2007 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Sidi Bullets, size 43, weigh 770 grams a pair on my digital scale. That's with SPD cleats and bike dirt on them. The Dominators probably weigh about the same, since they are basically the same as Bullets plus the ratchet thingee. What do SPD cleats weight? Don't know, but the shoes themselves probably are under 730 I'd guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Two rusty and well used SPD cleats and the 4 mounting screws weigh about 49 grams on my kitchen scale. How come no one is making these out of titanium?

That would put your shoes at about 721g without the cleats. It would appear that the BG Experts are still 41g lighter. This does not account for your larger shoe size or the dirt so it would be close. In any case, compared to my existing shoes, cutting 140g and going to carbon would be a big upgrade.

BTW, do you have the front spikes mounted?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    no front spikes, and standard footbed. I personally didn't like a pair of shoes I had with stiff carbon soles. I got numb toes more often. They were also harder to run in, super, super stiff just didn't seem to work for me, I needed that slight flex, and the SIDI's are stiff without the carbon sole.

Dec 2006
    You can get the screws in Ti for sure, but I've never seen SPD cleats in Ti.

Ty
    mtbr member
    My 2005/06 SIDI Dominators Size 45 are 798g/pair without cleats.

No longer 26
    Not sure on exact weight but my Adidas Adistar XC's are light, stiff, and have great upper design.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    How do those AdiStars fit? As in, are they wide, narrow, wide in the toe, etc?
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I just got my shimano 225s in the mail and they are PIGS!! I don't have a digiscale but I'm gonna have to send them back...hopefully there is something lighter out there...these things go for $170. If not, I'll have to take a dremel to the 1 1/2" rubber lugs on the soles...surely there's a better race shoe...these are ****

i don't give a shift
    Don't know what my SPD sandals weigh, but they sure feel light when the air blows through my toes. Obviously with sandals socks are prohibited, so there's another couple of grams saved
    blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    they are not light. I believe MBA just reviewed them in one of the last 2-3 issues, and they said right up front something like "they are great shoes, but XC weight guys should pass on them".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    Don't know what my SPD sandals weigh, but they sure feel light when the air blows through my toes. Obviously with sandals socks are prohibited, so there's another couple of grams saved
    You're only one step away from attaching cleats to the bottom of your feet- perhaps the ultimate weight savings and body mod in the same act
    To the troll mobile, away...

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    I would say that they are not for widish feet. I have an average to narrow foot and they fit me well. Snug at the heel with room for the toes. Of course, even though the length of my actual foot measures to about a size 10.5 to 11, I am using a size 11.5 Adistar in both my mtb and road shoe (road shoe is the race).

I got my feet measured for running shoes 2 years ago by someone who knows what he is doing and recommended using size 11.5 running shoes based on heel to ball of foot area. Not exactly sure where the measurement stopped. I had traditionally worn size 10.5 shoes for everything but my feet have changed over time. I have now changed over almost all of my shoes to the bigger size and my feet really thank me. Was worth the few minutes it took to get measured up by someone with knowlege. Sorry for drifting off topic...

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

May 2007
    These are looking pretty nice to me. I have bad ankles so the extra support is welcoming.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=26122

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm going to cut off my toes to save some weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Chaser & Mountainforce,
    Thanks so much for recommending the Specialized BG Experts. They ended up being about 250 grams lighter compared to my old shoes. So sweet on the hills of Gambrill today! Perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    My team has been sponsored by Adidas for the past 3 years. The 1st edition of the Adistar where really wide and had me (thin medium width foot) using a 4mm foot bed. The following years improvements including a better strap system and buckle, had the foot bed sized smaller. I always use at least a 2mm foot bed for added comfort. These shoes fit great compared to any Sidis I have used (Dominators,Dragons). The toe area on the Sidis was always tight even with the Megas. Sidis seem like house slippers compared to Adistars, soft and flexy. Adistars worked great for CX as well.
    Adistar--- 10
    Sidi Dragon Mega--- 6
    If that helps....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork
    no front spikes, and standard footbed. I personally didn't like a pair of shoes I had with stiff carbon soles. I got numb toes more often. They were also harder to run in, super, super stiff just didn't seem to work for me, I needed that slight flex, and the SIDI's are stiff without the carbon sole.
    You can completely relieve any numbness by moving the cleat back as far as possible on the shoe (towards the heel). This puts the center of pressure directly under the 1st metatarsal, so there isn't any straining going on to stay balanced. I just found this out after years of getting numb toes in my carbon Shimano M220's, and it worked completely, I ride for hours now with no numbness whatsoever! Highly recommended!

Members who have read this thread: 0