do shoes make the man?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

do shoes make the man?

I run a cheep pair of answer mtb shoes, will upgrade to a 100 dollar shoe really make that much of a difference? Or do I just look for sales and buy cheepos once a year?
    What makes the high end shoes that much better?
    thanks

Jan 2004
    Better build, better materials, more rigid. Will it make a difference? Maybe more power transfer since at least a small part of your energy goes to keeping your foot in position. I use an $80 shoe and notice that over time it has more movement side-to-side than when it was newer. This translates into less efficiency and more work. Next time I'll spend more, but look for a sale on better shoes

contains quinine
    cheaply made/worn out shoes can flex enough to give "hot spots" on your feet corresponding to the placement of the pedals. Happens in my worn out Sidis, not in my worn out Pearls.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Aug 2004
    Personally, I wait for the halfway decent shoes to go on sale. It's all about last years nice "outdated" shoes @ half price.

Team Sanchez
    100 dollar shoes? Why such a tight wad. Go and spend $250.00 on some Sidi's, and you will feel the difference! BTW, I wear $80.00 specialized shoes, and they are great. The shoes don't make the man....the socks do.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Mar 2004

no, the mind makes the man

If, for example (and not saying you personally) don't know the difference between the words "lose" and "loose" (my new mission from Dog) then you are not a man, just a mental midget.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Personally, I wait for the halfway decent shoes to go on sale. It's all about last years nice "outdated" shoes @ half price.
    Amen brother!

I buy nearly everything a season old... Of couse I don't end up saving any money, I just end up getting twice as much stuff...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    end up getting twice as much stuff...
    Pfftt..like there'd be any other reason to save money

Dec 2004
    right now i wear a pair of Lake MX80's which I got 2 years ago for around $60.

just ordered the adidas adistars from supergo...they'll be my spare/next pair hehe

am perfectly happy with the Lakes though- to think I put them thru several river and stream crossings almost every other week!

as for socks...well, DeFeet and Sockguy get my vote!

mtbr member

huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    If, for example (and not saying you personally) don't know the difference between the words "lose" and "loose" (my new mission from Dog) then you are not a man, just a mental midget.
    huh??? so I should of thrown in an "an" before "upgrade" so what, I don't know where the whole "lose" "loose" thing came from.
    please post something concerning shoes, thank u!

Dec 2004
    please post something concerning shoes
    You can lose a loose shoe.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat
    You can lose a loose shoe.
    Aah yes, but your foot can turn blue from too tight a shoe

I ride with tools

You are absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The shoes don't make the man....the socks do.
    Socks are how mtn bikers express their individuality.

That's why I wear these stylin socks.................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec 2004
    That's true, the foot a blue, is more severe than a foot without a shoe.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 01-07-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Aug 2004

Hehe yall's is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat
    That's true, the foot a blue, is more severe than a foot without a shoe.
    Ranting sounds like jibberish my sis and I do that annoys everyone -- especially when it has nothing to do with anything -- hmmm kind like this.

Nov 2004
    I got some mid range sidi's three years ago, and they look like they will last another year or two ... so if you are buying cheap shoes each year, then one good pair might actually work out cheaper over the long run.

As others have said, stiffer soles and also better buckles that you can get replacement parts for.

One other point, I picked up some entry level Specialized mtb shoes that a friend had, and they were wet due to the rain, but man did they soak up a lot of water ... the shoes weighed an absolute tonne! My sidis have very little padding to soak up water, but are still super comfortable to wear (right shape for my feet and years of good design means no flaps or bumps inside that rub one spot).

Look for good shoes on special.

Mar 2004

ok

Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    huh??? so I should of thrown in an "an" before "upgrade" so what, I don't know where the whole "lose" "loose" thing came from.IT CAME FROM MY GROWING FRUSTRATION AND DISGUST OVER THE NUMBER OF SO-CALLED EDUCATED ADULTS WHO DON'T KNOW THE FREAKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOSE AND LOOSE AS EVIDENCED BY THE MANY MANY MANY POSTS HERE THAT MIX UP THE TWO VERY DIFFERENT WORDS. IT IS WHAT HAS ME RILED UP THIS WEEK SO GET USED TO IT.
    please post something concerning shoes, thank u!
    If your shoes are too loose, you might lose them in the mud.

Note to all idiots: Both usages are correct. Make a note of it, so as not to reveal your dumbassness to the world.

Jan 2004

You will notice...

the difference in the ride quality of some shoes.

My first pair was what I would call the "Vans" style shoes ($50). A little bulky, heavy and loose fitting. I bought them because they didn't look so much like biking shoes. I guess they are categorized as casual biking shoes.

I then went to a pair of Nike Kato shoes ($75). I definitely noticed the upgrade. Biking was more enjoyable. The shoes were lighter and stiffer. Plus, not to mention that they were much cooler on hot days.

Now I am on to Sidi's and I can notice the difference over the Nike shoes. Though not as big an improvement as going from the casual shoe to the Nike. I do love the Sidi's though. VERY comfortable. As soon as I put them on I said that it felt like putting on slippers. I don't know if I could go back now.

Go mid level and you will notice the difference over the lower level shoes.

banned
    Apr 2004

The black ones never go on sale

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Get a light shoe with a stiff, unbendable sole, I went with the Sidi Dominators 3 & 1/2 years ago and have hammered these babies and they should last for one more good season, the only thing different I would look for in a bike shoe, is no ratcheting buckles or straps, I'd go with 3 or 4 velcro straps, (to bad those Carnacs with 4 velcro straps never go on sale).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Look at the Pearl Izumi shoes. Even their $80 Vagabond performs nearly as well as the $200 models. Each model does fit a bit differently because of the closure system and upper materials.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My first pair of riding shoes (about 3 years ago) was the Specialized RockHopper. I had no idea how HUGE they were, the heel was soooo large that it would clank on the stay. Sold 'em on ebay for $14...

The next set was teh Specialized Body Geometry. Loved 'em for a year until the velcro stopped working and the sole began to separate from the uppers. Attempted to buy new ones of the new model year, but their sizes had magically shrank. Size 48 had fit the year before, not so in the new year. These shoes cost about $100 but were that much better than the $50 Rock Hopper.

Well, no one, I though made a bigger shoe than that, till I discovered Sidi. Size 50 baby. Yep, they cost a bundle, but never, I say never have my feet been uncomfortable. I never think about them, that's how good they are. I replaced the stock insoles with SuperFeet. As far as durability, they are about 1.5 years old and are on their way out. The sole is almost worn through and the uppers are coming apart a bit at the toe. For me, this is great. For others, their Sidi's last 5 years. But, I'm a tank, things wear out quicker.

For me, if it's what works, it's worth the money.

Members who have read this thread: 0