dmr v12's XC problem with shoes!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

dmr v12's XC problem with shoes!!!

hi, i bought a pitch pro, but immediatly changed the pedals for DMR V12's cos they r the best apparently and i am very happy with them, and 2 go with flat pedals, i where a pair of old etnies trainers cos the sole is very solid and flat so best results for grip.. flat on flat...common sense, only i did a marathon on sunday and when my etnies got wet, they weighed an absolute ton, made it very hard wrk!!

i did try a pair of specialized spd shoes whe i had my xc bike and i know they wouldnt soak up the water cos there was nothin 2 them only leather...they are made for the job obvouisly and would hav bn the answer......but i dont want 2 b clipped in at all.......what are the best alternative shoes on the market for my situation??? when im trail riding and messin about i dun mind but if ts a long ride in the wet i need sumfin else......thanks in advance
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    You ran a marathon in Etnies??

Skate shoes are quite popular for riding flats....like you said...plenty of surface area for maximum grip. Check out the freeride offerings from Five Ten. Their rubber compound is the best. The "Basic" model looks fairly light and comfortable.

mtbr member
    etnies.....yeh i know lol! they are wot iv bn using when iv bn out on the bike, and whilst iv bn training, 1st problem i had with them was on this marathon, when thye got wet, i fink sum the guys i was passing were a bit pisd off when i was doin so, i lookd such an amatuer....well iam!

dunno about those five tens tho, they aint very me, look like sumfin pete doherty would wear ?? sorry if u hav these by the way

wot about if i just buy a spd shoe and not put the cleats on?? obviously it would hav 2 be the rite shoe possibly....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9506

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9492

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    etnies.....yeh i know lol! they are wot iv bn using when iv bn out on the bike, and whilst iv bn training, 1st problem i had with them was on this marathon, when thye got wet, i fink sum the guys i was passing were a bit pisd off when i was doin so, i lookd such an amatuer....well iam!

dunno about those five tens tho, they aint very me, look like sumfin pete doherty would wear ?? sorry if u hav these by the way

wot about if i just buy a spd shoe and not put the cleats on?? obviously it would hav 2 be the rite shoe possibly....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9506

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9492
    Are you 12, thinking you are text messaging, or just using horrible grammar (or a combination of the three)? And I find it hard to believe you ran a marathon in Etnies.

mtbr member
    Pete Doherty eh?
    Sorry they're not your style, but if you're looking for traction, I'd say Five Ten is at the top of the game. Of the shoes you posted, I'd say stick with the Shimano's, although I imagine they fill up like a bucket in the rain. The SPD shoes are not going to be of much help on flats.

mtbr member
    Judging from the mention of Pete Doherty and the way you type... You're from the UK?
    Try a pair of Vans, or Marzocchi's Bomber shoes if you like the skate look. Shimano's also got a pair of sneakers that I wouldn't mind trying, the Shimano MP90. I think BikeRadar.com gave them a fairly good review, only they weren't too happy with the way it looked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygui
    Are you 12, thinking you are text messaging, or just using horrible grammar (or a combination of the three)? And I find it hard to believe you ran a marathon in Etnies.
    are u a p*****? last time i checked this was an informal freindly forum so unless im writin these msgs 2 the goverment or applying 4 a job, i will type as i please....if u dont like it...dont read it???!! i know who would like the way i type...... your president!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    Pete Doherty eh?
    Sorry they're not your style, but if you're looking for traction, I'd say Five Ten is at the top of the game. Of the shoes you posted, I'd say stick with the Shimano's, although I imagine they fill up like a bucket in the rain. The SPD shoes are not going to be of much help on flats.
    thanks i will kp lookin, im finkin of a possible pedal and shoe change now 2 b honest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    are u a p*****? last time i checked this was an informal freindly forum so unless im writin these msgs 2 the goverment or applying 4 a job, i will type as i please....if u dont like it...dont read it???!! i know who would like the way i type...... your president!!
    Intelligent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    Judging from the mention of Pete Doherty and the way you type... You're from the UK?
    Try a pair of Vans, or Marzocchi's Bomber shoes if you like the skate look. Shimano's also got a pair of sneakers that I wouldn't mind trying, the Shimano MP90. I think BikeRadar.com gave them a fairly good review, only they weren't too happy with the way it looked.
    yeh im from the u.k....and the way i type isnt very popular with executives on here lol!

im not a skater type but i do buy those kinda trainers, (not the big huge ones) cos they last a lot longer than addidas, nike etc, cos they r made 2 take a hiding and at 60 a throw, its a saver en it.

wot i did find was, cos they were so full of paddin for ankle protection, they got heavy when wet, same will happen 2 the bombers i suppose. like i sadi in the reply 2 mrmook, im gonna hav 2 hav a fink about a possible pedal and shoe change

a lot of boys who did this marathon had the crank bros egg beaters etc, they were cumin off all over the place, i suppose if its dry its ok, but i live in wales, u.k where it is never dry and u r goin 2 hav a face plant regular being clipped the bike, i was well happy the dmr v12's cos they really do stick into the grip of your shoes....i dunno! headwrk lol! thanks

mtbr member
    my god they all look so bad lol! im just gonna hav 2 learn 2 balance for the sake of fashion and lookin half decent lol!

what i found, when i had spd pedals and shoes , when i got 2 a very rocky or risky section and i cliped out, the bottom of the spd shoe was just crap at grippin the other side (i had the shimano 505 spd), and i just couldnt take 2 them

I post too much.
    You're on a bike, not at a fashion show, and quit typing like a retarded 12 year old, everyone can type complete and well spelled out sentences, why can't you?

Etnies are a fine shoe for biking, been on my Etnies Arto for 2 summers now and they are still going strong. Any shoe will suck in the wet, period.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    You're on a bike, not at a fashion show, and quit typing like a retarded 12 year old, everyone can type complete and well spelled out sentences, why can't you?

Etnies are a fine shoe for biking, been on my Etnies Arto for 2 summers now and they are still going strong. Any shoe will suck in the wet, period.
    i wish fings like sum1 typin this way got 2 me...i just wish i was that lucky, that fings like that got 2 me...sadly that isnt the case im not that lucky, i hav much bigger fings 2 worry about, surely it cannot b that big a deal??? that a person types sum1 rather than someone?? its reads the same....just read it! or dont!

if u had read the thread properly, i do say that my etnies were fine up until now, but i had a problem on this marathon, im lookin 2 see if there was sumfin on the market which was halfway between spd and flat....... bcos no not any shoe will soak in the wet u knob, most of the spd mtb shoes are just leather and a little padding, so obviously they aint gonna are they.

christ some of u yanks are really touchy arent u....
    Last edited by G4VNJ; 07-08-2008 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Maybe or usage of the word "marathon" is different over here. A Marathon is a 26 mile foot race. That would suck in Etnies.

For good wet traction on flats, you want to make sure you've got some gnarly flats with replaceable pins, and some decent shoes. If I ever made the switch to flats, it would look something like this:

+

+

About the way you type: yes, this is a free and open forum, but just like in real life, you get as much respect as you give. If you come on here using shitty English, we're going to assume you're an idiot. Does our president sound smart? No. So please don't follow his lead. Learn to type.

mtbr member
    If it is that big of deal I will do as you wish, the reason I do type that like is because I am not the fastest on the keyboard and if I get 'called out' (work) I lose everything I type and it is easier.... my deepest apoligise to the United States of America, where you have adopted OUR language and changed silly little things like centRE to centER and give us a lecture on it lol!.... once again sorry!

I think 'idiot' is a strong assumption based on how someone types!

Yeh an mtb marathon, on a mtb not running, I assumed most would get that in a mtb forum, my god etnies would be hard work for running lol!

I got 661 strait slim knee pads, good too, not hard plastic so very comfortable when riding longer, most downhill tracks by me got xc tracks going to them so u got to do the hard work first, but its all good fitness!

If ever in the U.K check out http://www.skylinecycles.co.uk/ , this is the shop at the mtb centre, and its at the start obviously, very good, its in mtb magazines in the U.K and had very good reviews, but it will rain lol!

once again thank you for your advice...everyone

mtbr member
    Anyway....Pitch Pro at the end of it.....wet and muddy lol!

mtbr member
    Nice looking ride. Both of them.
    Sorry about the idiot bit. I love a good English accent (yep, we speak fine over here, it's you blokes with the funny accent ), but honestly, it is hard to read sentences with numbers and letters mixed up. "Sumfin 4 evry 1" does not read as smoothly as "Something for everyone". And while our typing styles may differ, I have to admit numbers slow me down when I'm using a QWERTY keyboard. They only speed up my messaging when I'm on a klunky mobile keypad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    Nice looking ride. Both of them.
    Sorry about the idiot bit. I love a good English accent (yep, we speak fine over here, it's you blokes with the funny accent ), but honestly, it is hard to read sentences with numbers and letters mixed up. "Sumfin 4 evry 1" does not read as smoothly as "Something for everyone". And while our typing styles may differ, I have to admit numbers slow me down when I'm using a QWERTY keyboard. They only speed up my messaging when I'm on a klunky mobile keypad.
    ....and i will apoligise for my sarcastic attitude, doesnt take much to get me going lol!

My accent isnt actually English, im Welsh, I think a lot of the world thinks that the U.K consists of Scotland and England and then obviously Ireland on its own, Wales is a separate country and our accent is absolultey rediculous, well its ok until you hear it on TV, then we automatically sound thick lol! Well thats the impression I have always had, especially when I have been over to the U.S.A anyway! Soz if you know this already!

Had that car 4yrs, love it, nothing ever goes wrong with it, amazing, and cheap for what it does, not many cars are enjoyable to drive as that for the money!

...love the bike too, iv only had it 4wks I think, scratched it bad aswell, but thats what it is for isnt it!

Wot do you ride?

mtbr member
    I ride a Gary Fisher hardtail that I just converted to a singlespeed. On the topic of pedals, I run Eggbeaters and love'em. My motor carriage is a 97 VW Golf, which I also love to death. Fantastic little car.

While on a road trip with my brother last year:

mtbr member
    You might want to try a pair of Vans from their Classics line. The SK8-His and Half Cabs get my vote. They're not as bulky as their new line of skate shoes and give really good grip. I run a pair of Vans Half Cabs and Specialized Lo Pro IIs, never had a slipped pedal so far and I've not had any problems bailing when I've needed to.

mtbr member
    Mrmook - cars with the bikes on the roof rack look the nuts dun they, look much more professional !

That was the last old school reliable Golf made, they arent wot they were, same with BMW and Mercedes, they just arent the rediculously heavy, strong, good cars they were!

Like the new Golf GTI tho, boy in the station with me got one, should be faster than that with a turbo tho I think!

Juanbeegas - im still lookin, well im goin on hols mon so this whole dilema is goin on hold untill I get back, and around 3-4 days recovery time after that! thanks

Jul 2008
    I'm a beginner rider and I've been riding with trail running sneakers because I figured that the pedal grooves would trap themselves in the trail pattern.

Has anybody tried this? I'd like to know for sure before I order some 5.10s.

mtbr member
    If trail runners are working for you, then you should be fine. It really depends on your particular pedals, and the type of shoe you have. Some match up, some don't.

The benefit of the Five Tens is their rubber compound. It's pretty grabby, and when you pair that with nice grippy pedals, you've got a great combo.

If you have decent metal pedals, cross trainers are probably ok. My girlfriend rides flats with running shoes, and she does fine for her riding style.

mtbr member
    ....iam considering something like this now, for a mtb mararthon anyway...

Members who have read this thread: 0