DIY helmet padding- Mtbr.com
    nocturnal oblivion

DIY helmet padding

The padding to my helmets all fall apart, replacement kits are available at $10 a pop. Anybody ever find a good DIY replacement material that could be cut and adhere to the velcro attachments?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Helmets should be replace every 3 years, at least.
    To protect my head, and possibly my life, I'd pay the $10 for the pads, or pop for a new helmet all together.

mtbr member
    One thing I find interesting are the cyclists that will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on bike upgrades, but can't come up with $60 for a functioning helmet.
    I love the hills, but the hills don't love me back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superjesus
    One thing I find interesting are the cyclists that will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on bike upgrades, but can't come up with $60 for a functioning helmet.
    Exactly!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by superjesus
    I hope you guys realize stumble is talking about the fit/sweat pads, not the foam crash lining. They do break down and long before the helmet is "done" for some riders.

stumble, you might try making pads from those cheap microfiber cleaning cloths.

I tend to remove most of my pads. Helmets are most stable and work best if they fit well without resorting to thick soft foam fit pads. If I can not get a helmet to fit without thick pads, I look for another model.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I wash the velcro'd pads in my helmet about every other ride. It keeps them from breaking down from the sweat.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Why's that?
    Matt

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585
    Why's that?
    The foam that comprises the helmet degrades, due to heat (leaving in vehicle a big no-no), time, and (obviously) impact.
    A helmet that is well taken care of, not dropped or tossed around, and rinsed often enough should last a few years. At more than 3 years it's just nice to rock a new lid anyways. Up to you if you want to replace yours every few years and exceed the manufacturers recommendation, which is probably on the conservative side. Brain damage sucks though I bet.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    stumble, you might try making pads from those cheap microfiber cleaning cloths.
    Custom colored pads? oooohhhh

Never trust a fart
    Several helmet manufacturers will GIVE you new replacement pads if you just call them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    To protect my head, and possibly my life, I'd pay the $10 for the pads, or pop for a new helmet all together.
    Whilst safety is paramount when riding and taking care of equipment, especially a helmet, every 3 years would be overkill unless it has been damaged or as the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute guidelines indicate. When to Replace a Helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfMike View Post
    Whilst safety is paramount when riding and taking care of equipment, especially a helmet, every 3 years would be overkill unless it has been damaged or as the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute guidelines indicate. When to Replace a Helmet?
    True. Helmet manufacturers have gone from replace every 10 years, then to 7, 5, and now 3. There isn't new advancements in the crash foam that now require replacing sooner. A helmet manufacturer (I believe it is Bell?) rep even stated here on the forums that they are recommending this just to sell more helmets.

Though, I also agree it's nice to have something brand new every few years or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    True. Helmet manufacturers have gone from replace every 10 years, then to 7, 5, and now 3. There isn't new advancements in the crash foam that now require replacing sooner. A helmet manufacturer (I believe it is Bell?) rep even stated here on the forums that they are recommending this just to sell more helmets.

Though, I also agree it's nice to have something brand new every few years or so.
    I still use my 10 yr old Xens and have zero reservations about doing so.

If a foam cooler can last for decades floating around in the ocean and then years more on the beach where it washes up, I'm pretty confident my helmet will be good for even longer.

Yes I know this post is years old, but people need to wise up to obvious marketing.

Members who have read this thread: 28