Dirtbike helmet for mtbing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Dirtbike helmet for mtbing?

Besides the obvious lack of ventilation and more weight compared to a mtb full face helmet, is there any drawback to using on for downieville? I'm looking for a helmet I can use googles with.

thanks,

-Sp

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    Besides the obvious lack of ventilation and more weight compared to a mtb full face helmet, is there any drawback to using on for downieville? I'm looking for a helmet I can use googles with.

thanks,

-Sp
    You answered your own question. No way would I choose that much helmet for Downieville. How about a MTB fullface ???

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I have worn gogs with a normal XC bike helmet. you look kinda dumb but it works sweet. But recently I have been rocking the 661 DJ Lid with goggles and loving it. If you dnot wana wear a full face then check out thoses options.

As far as the dirt bike helmet you covered all the bases where I can see it falling short of your need but the protection would be awesome.

Good luck -- JJ

TNC
    noMAD man
    Your statement of "mtb'ing" and Downieville kind of eliminates a true dirt motor helmet IMO. They are generally heavier and waaaay hotter than even the more substantial full coverage DH helmets. Personally I wouldn't wear an open face XC helmet at Downieville or hardly anywhere moderately technical or fast anymore. Face plants and painful/expensive dental work...or facial reconstruction, LOL!...aren't my favorite thing. Sounds like a helmet like the Specialized Deviant is what you're looking for here, as it is highly ventilated and will work extremely well even in fairly high temps with climbing efforts involved. I also use a modified Pryme AL for aggressive trail riding, which is also a full coverage helmet. Some folks seem to be quite self-concious about wearing a full coverage helmet for anything short of Red Bull Rampage type of death-defying riding. Pffft!...it's my head, and I want to keep it one piece. Now, on the issue of goggles, I do think you have to be going pretty fast for them to be suitable. Without some speed, they tend to be quite warm or fog up easily.

freeride jerk
    my friend used a moto helmet for biking one time....lol, dont do it . we had to keep stopping so that he cud take the helmet off to let some air in, and the thing weighed like a 1,000 lbs, his neck and shoulders were also very soar at the end of the day. with dirt bikes you dont really need ventalation because your going 60 to 70 mph, and its not like your constantly pedaling so you dont get as worn out and hot. My advice is leave the dirt bike helmets with the dirt bikes and get a mtb helmet.
    SHANTY

Bum Buzzer
    nonsense

a good 'moto' fullface shouldnt be much heavier than an MTB full face butoffers WAY better protection (and alot of the newer MTB fullfaces look ridiculous - alien headshaped nonsense)

Most MTB fullfaces are a joke as evidenced by the major trend in rebranding MX helmets as MTB and generally beefin up.

My HJC weighs 3lbs and its a XXXL

TLD is what 2.6?

Jul 2007
    i have a hjc helmet and a azonic fury pro and like the hjc way better it is tho hotter but way more protection the hjc is nice if you dont need to ride up the mountain if all you do is go down get mountain bike helmet

Members who have read this thread: 0