Dirt jumping shoes- Mtbr.com

Jul 2009

New question here. Dirt jumping shoes

hi guys, as you can tell im new here and i recently bought a KHS dj200 bike. i seem to be slipping off the pedals too much. im pretty sure its not the pedals. i think its my shoes with no texture or grip on the bottom of them from biking so im looking into getting some decent shoes that will really help me stay on my pedals. im looking for a shoe that is under 70 dollars canadian and decently light. http://www.khsbicycles.com/01_dj_200_09.htm

And if you guys could tell where to get _____ shoes that would be awesome.

Thanks Boys.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just my .02 cents. i have been running vans for a while on platform pedals. the soles have holes that the pins find a home in.

Jul 2009
    alright thanks i was think about that :P but i couldnt find any in my size less than 70 bucks

Apr 2009
    get nike's

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I really like my Globe Neon Snakes for park and my Camo Shecklers for dirt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    go to thefind.com and type in what you are looking for. select sort by lowest price.

go huck yourself
    money green dcs
    Dirt jumps come and go, but dirt junkies will dig forever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been a Vans guy for 25+ years, but bought a pair of Five Ten last winter. Nothing compares. Seriously, riding in them ends the conversation on best shoe for flat pedals.

mtbr member
    BMX'ers basically wear skateboarding shoes. Over the years some skate shoe companies have been a lot better than others at supporting BMX. Etnies has been one of the best, followed by VANS. DC and Duffs, less so.

NIKE is a new arrival--and personally I have a grudge against them for all the years they scorned skate and bmx (all through the 80's and 90's) and now have tried to buy their way into favor.

ORCHID is the only BMX-owned shoe company that I know of. You can buy them through www.empirebmx.com

If you want cheap, visit your local Ross discount store. They usually have some skate shoes like DC, Osiris, Vans, or Globe on the shelf for around $25 or $30.

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/empir...dCategory=1033

check out ETNIES "Grounded":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuQD...eature=related

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i really like shoes that have built in ankle protection like the old 661 duallys. i think 5.10 has some similar pairs but i haven't looked into it in a while. the ankle guards have saved me from countless little dings on my ankle bones.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd rather ride barefoot than ride in Nike 6.0's (or any other Nike actually) for reasons including the reason CMC above listed.

Go for some Vans -- Halfcabs, any of the Rowleys, Dollin's, or Trujillo's. All have sweet soles that find the pins of your pedals with ease. Plus they have been making shoes for the "alternative sports" since '66...

Apr 2009
    who cares if nike wasnt there before. they didnt know that they had a place in the bmx/skateboarding area. that doesnt matter. they are now and the make some sick ass shoes with good support for biking and skating.

Jun 2009
    I have platform pedals and I just ride with my skate shoes. I got a new pair of Fallen Ripper's and they're sick, the screws stick nicely with the grip of my shoe.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by letmygattalk4me
    who cares if nike wasnt there before. they didnt know that they had a place in the bmx/skateboarding area. that doesnt matter. they are now and the make some sick ass shoes with good support for biking and skating.
    I care

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by KHSkid
    alright thanks i was think about that :P but i couldnt find any in my size less than 70 bucks
    If you have a winners near you, the shoes there are often over 50% off retail and they do carry vans, dc, fallen and some other skate shoe brands.

mtbr member
    Get a [email protected] pair of Vans with the waffle soles and be done with it. Grips good enough for the DJs and can be found cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ride with shoe BOXES lolololololololololololololol

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    es accels

grippy, padded, and relatively cheap and simple.

mtbr member
    Five Tens are no joke, they have a special grippy soul that seriously grabs your pedals. Plenty of protection and ankle support, they can be pricey, but are definitely worth it.

The Crow
    Another vote for 5.10's. They have a fairly new model called the freerider. Fit and look like vans but grip like nothing else.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride in a pair of Globes that I absolutely love for grip! But I want to get a new pair of something with a bit stiffer soles...

calma
    They are a bit more the $70, but hands down 5.10 are the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride with Emerica Hsu's. No problems with them. They grip pretty well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    go with 5.10 if you want crazy grip. I like to move my feet around and have found that etnies and vans are the way to go if you like to move all over your bike and not feel stuck!
    Live for the moment and persist to exist.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I dont like the freerider 5.10 cause of how they "buckle" over the pedals. I prefer something more stiff. Its gotta have a cushy insole though, haha. Which the freerider lacks aswell.

dirt rules
    I wouldn't mind trying out a pair of these. They look pretty nice.

<object height="340" width="560">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/R8YKGGZdb0A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

Sep 2009
    i wear a couple different pairs of etnies and also a pair of duffs. i paid under 40 for my etnies on eBay. and paid 70 for my duffs at the local trek store!!

mtbr member
    When I ride my bmx bike I wear Orchids. Super comfy for me.

Kris

I Void Waranties
    i like shoes that fit snug. All time mess-about shoes are converse. On the trail i use hand me down 5.10's.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Had the same issue. thought it was my pedals, but ended up being my shoes. I ride with a pair of Osiris' now and havn't slipped yet (knock on wood).

mtbr member
    here are the shoes I was talking about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those look good. I need to get something with a stiffer sole than i'm currently riding. My Globes do ok, but I wish someone made a skate style shoe with a stiff sole.

mtbr member
    Any skateboarding shoe works pretty well...as long as the sole isn't worn down. You could wear 5.10s or Vans if you want the ugliest shoes possible, but my Osirises have never slipped off, plus they look sweet

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i picked up a set of dc manteca 3 mids for about 30 bucks on ccs.com a few weeks back,the work awesome and have the same design on the bottom as the dc tactic show,i got them in pink/green/black,but who cares for 30$

yeah it still hurts...
    Oct 2009

My nikes are amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JGill
    I'd rather ride barefoot than ride in Nike 6.0's (or any other Nike actually) for reasons including the reason CMC above listed.

Go for some Vans -- Halfcabs, any of the Rowleys, Dollin's, or Trujillo's. All have sweet soles that find the pins of your pedals with ease. Plus they have been making shoes for the "alternative sports" since '66...
    I got some of the Nike Air whatever skate shoes, the mid rise ones for ankle protection, and they are awesome. the inner soles are uber soft, and the outer soles seem as if they were designed to perfectly lock into a pair of platform pedals.(seriously the grip is amazing) i dont care how much they shunned skate shoes in the 90's, theyre amazing!
    who put that tree there?

mtbr member
    I personally like light hiking boots. great ankle support and insane tread (you are practically clipped in) and will last forever. Maybe overkill though.

Members who have read this thread: 1