Dinotte Style single MCE helmet light- Mtbr.com
    I'd rather be biking...

Dinotte Style single MCE helmet light

Yes im sure im stealing ideas from other people but hey this a such a simple bike light to take advantage of. Im addicted to making bike lights now and cant seem to get off this forum and cpf either. my wife is getting sick of this..... anyway here is my idea and i just have a question on the battery.

HELMET LIGHT:

1 cool white MCE on series starboard from cutters
    1 bflex driver from taskled
    A couple different optics to toy with from cutters, 26.5mm carclo tight and narrow
    My housing is from speadymetals its 1.250" OD and ID is 1.12"
    I also bought a solid 1 1/8" aluminum pipe to make my heatsink out of and for the end cap.

The light will be wired in series and mostly at 750mA so im looking at 3.4Vf each plus 1V for the driver (13.6 +1=14.6V)

My only problem is batteries. I want atleast 2-3 hours of run time.I dont want to spend $60+on a 14.8 battery pack from battery space at the moment since I already have 4 protected 18650 lying around that i could try and wire for a pack using pvc water pipe.
    Full charge is 16.8V would that kill the driver having 2 extra volts kicking around for the driver until the battery volts start to drop? I also heard its not good to run 4 leds and a 4 cell battery? could someone explain this to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The extra voltage won't do anything to kill the bFlex, as long as you don't go over the max voltage of the bFlex(usually 25v).
    The LED's will just use what they need. Use the LED Pro program to figure out your run times. I don't know what ah rating the battery is so I can't figure it out for you. It is probably cutting it close for voltage though, for a while you'd be OK till the batteries were slightly discharged, then you'd go out of regulation.
    According to my program;
    If running a 14.8v 4000mah pack, bflex set to 700ma and figuring on 14.6vf.
    Shows 4: 48min run time.-seems wrong but that's what LED Pro says.
    I thought of going this same route until I found a flashlight housing at the local HD that I think should work.
    As for the 4 LED-4 Battery thing; I've never heard of that before.
    I'm sure someone will chime in to clarify that.

Eric S

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Yes im sure im stealing ideas from other people but hey this a such a simple bike light to take advantage of. Im addicted to making bike lights now and cant seem to get off this forum and cpf either. my wife is getting sick of this..... anyway here is my idea and i just have a question on the battery.

HELMET LIGHT:

1 cool white MCE on series starboard from cutters
    1 bflex driver from taskled
    A couple different optics to toy with from cutters, 26.5mm carclo tight and narrow
    My housing is from speadymetals its 1.250" OD and ID is 1.12"
    I also bought a solid 1 1/8" aluminum pipe to make my heatsink out of and for the end cap.

The light will be wired in series and mostly at 750mA so im looking at 3.4Vf each plus 1V for the driver (13.6 +1=14.6V)

My only problem is batteries. I want atleast 2-3 hours of run time.I dont want to spend $60+on a 14.8 battery pack from battery space at the moment since I already have 4 protected 18650 lying around that i could try and wire for a pack using pvc water pipe.
    Full charge is 16.8V would that kill the driver having 2 extra volts kicking around for the driver until the battery volts start to drop? I also heard its not good to run 4 leds and a 4 cell battery? could someone explain this to me.

shelbster15 Nowt wrong with stealing ( I prefer borrowing ) ideas off of here.

your spec is looking good the carclo tight optic is up there near the top of the optics for the mce in my opinion .

plenty of metal for a good heatsing is paramount thesr puppys can get hot.

Battery and runtime .now you need to be lucky .

all the MCE i have had (6 ) have returned VF of 12.6 v ish so your battery and a bflex will work ok . I have done a runtime test for a single mce and 14.8 v battery in one of my threads and had good results.

You will not hurt anything with your setup .

mtbr member
    Up untill recently each Led or die had a vf of 3.7v - 3.9v. So as an 18650 cell is 3.7v nominal you would require one cell per Led or die plus an extra cell for the driver.

That was the general rule for a while but as the newer Leds have a vf more like 3.2v - 3.4v things have changed.

Fists of Ham
    I've been trying similar idea, but using 1.25"od 10swg tubing which gives a internal diameter of approx 1" - just gives a bit more "thermal mass" than the thinner wall tubing, whilst not getting too overboard in the weight stakes for a head lamp. I'm still sticking with the prior generation of led's at the moment - Q5/R2's/Seoul Z-Power - just to get my soldering etc. up to snuff before lashing out on the MCE - although that tiny triple board/optic from cutter is interesting too.

For the moment, i've got a bunch of mates who are interested from the local club that are happy with the single emitter jobs, mainly as road lights, so I should be getting my act perfected.

They're not looking all that bad (for a prototype, at least)...

Hopefully, by the time that Mr. Trout and all the cutting edge chaps have found the perfect MCE optic i'll be able to jump straight in (whats that quote from Isacc Newton - "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants")
    Last edited by TheBigYin; 11-30-2008 at 03:27 PM.

I'd rather be biking...
    Wow thanks a lot everybody for your feedback, its much appreciated. I'll get some pics posted when this thing gets together as im waiting for the postman.....

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Wow thanks a lot everybody for your feedback, its much appreciated. I'll get some pics posted when this thing gets together as im waiting for the postman.....
    Be nice to the postman, give him a wave, say g'day.... possibly give him a beer because once you start building lights you two are going to be on a first name basis while you forever wait for parts

Members who have read this thread: 0