Dinotte style helmet mount at a cost of pennies- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dinotte style helmet mount at a cost of pennies

I have recently built a couple of the Dinotte style lights in 1" aluminium tubing, based on the ideas in this thread. Thanks to all who contributed there.

Of course, I wanted a cheap and simple helmet mount and originally tried a simple Velcro strap arrangement. It was sort of OK, but somewhat loose and I was worried the light might come loose while riding. So I took a look at what "stuff" I had around the house, and came up with this in less than an hour.

The base plate is cut from 2mm Plasticard, a tough plastic sheet material used by modellers for making buildings and so on. It's 40mm wide, and the light is 50mm long.

I glued some foam sheet from the craft shop to the top and bottom, in order to reduce slippage. A couple of double-sided Velcro straps seem to fix it securely to my helmet.

The light is attached to the base plate using one of the Royal Mail's finest rubber bands. Who needs O-rings?

A full view of the helmet, showing the CaseLogic mp3 player pouch I found in TKMax the other day for a couple of quid. That holds a 4-pack of NiMH AA cells - with a bit of a squeeze!

Hope someone finds this of use, and maybe inspires a bit of kitchen table bodging

Neil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilt
    Hope someone finds this of use, and maybe inspires a bit of kitchen table bodging
    Neil.
    Well done Neil. I'll be using that idea for sure.
    Brisbane, AU

Spanish biker
    Nice, but if you want use different angles don't would better use another platform with a screw to can adjust the inclination?

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msxtr
    Nice, but if you want use different angles don't would better use another platform with a screw to can adjust the inclination?
    I have been thinking about some way to achieve that, but haven't come up with anything simple so far. As far as I can see, the Dinotte mount is very similar to this - just better made

If anyone has ideas for making this adjustable, please chip in and let's try.

Neil

Spanish biker
    I have been thinking about some way to achieve that, but haven't come up with anything simple so far. As far as I can see, the Dinotte mount is very similar to this - just better made

Neil
    Hi, some how this

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Neil
    Split a wooden, aluminun or plastic rod in half lengthwise and screw up through your plastic base into it (or glue it if the plastic will allow that).

Here is little more complex version I made to attach 2 DiNotte's. Maybe it will clarify what I am suggesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Split a wooden, aluminun or plastic rod in half lengthwise and screw up through your plastic base into it (or glue it if the plastic will allow that).

Here is little more complex version I made to attach 2 DiNotte's. Maybe it will clarify what I am suggesting.
    That, I like. I think Troutie did something similar recently?

Although the Cateye style mount is good for rapid removal, I think it's too complex for a cheap DIY solution.

Many thanks.
    Neil

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Let us know what you come up with and thanks for letting us know about Plasticard. I've needed something like that in the past. Now I just need to find a local supplier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Let us know what you come up with and thanks for letting us know about Plasticard. I've needed something like that in the past. Now I just need to find a local supplier.
    OK, another search in the junk box revealed a piece of 10mm diameter plastic tubing. I cut a small length in half and glued it into the recess I'd made on the base plate. This light is so small that it seems usable. I filed a little groove in the light, but need a larger half-round file to make it a bit wider sometime. Homebase sold me a plastic waste pipe repair kit containing several rubber washers and an O-ring of perfect size, for less than 2. Here's the result:

I'd say it gives me something like 10-15 degrees of vertical adjustment, which is probably enough. I need to road test it, but it's raining now and the bike is clean

Regarding the Plasticard, don't forget to pick up a bottle of the proper glue. It's some sort of solvent that melts the material and forms a really strong bond. I got some Revell model makers glue, called Contacta Professional.

Neil

Members who have read this thread: 0