Difference In Road vs. MTB Helmets?- Mtbr.com
    Suffers From Binge Biking

Difference In Road vs. MTB Helmets?

A few days ago I bought this helmet from chainlove not realizing at the time that it was considered a road helmet.
    http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...ng-Helmet.html
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this for mountain biking?
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

local trails rider
    No reason at all, as long as it fits you and you are not using it for stuff where a full face helmet is more appropriate.

That helmet seems to have a vizor too, which is definitely a mountain feature: some protection against intrusive vegetation and shading the eyes in the often more upright riding position.

Thanks Pert. I'd never bought a nice quality helmet before so I didn't know if there was something I was missing. But now that I look closer at the page, it does list mtbing as a recommended use, so

local trails rider
    Helmet fit is really the ESSENTIAL thing: maybe I am picky, or maybe my head is a strange shape, but I tend to have difficulties finding a helmet that is not uncomfortable.

All helmets that can be put for sale must conform to safety standards. More expensive helmets can be lighter or better ventilated or have more adjustment options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh rider
    A few days ago I bought this helmet from chainlove not realizing at the time that it was considered a road helmet.
    Looks like a mountain helmet to me. Road helmets do not have visors. Ever!

Dirty South Underdog
    That appears to be a removable visor. A lot of helmets branded as "road" bike helmets come with them attached or at least in the box.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Odds are if you got it on ChainLove, it's a MTB helmet. Road helmets would be offered on BonkTown.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    That appears to be a removable visor. A lot of helmets branded as "road" bike helmets come with them attached or at least in the box.
    No roadie would be caught dead wearing a helmet with a visor; trust me, I know a lot of them. You should have heard the uproar after Lance Armstrong was caught wearing a helmet with a visor during one of the first (rainy) days of the Tour of California...

Dirty South Underdog
    Yes, I realize this. I'm a cat 2 roadie myself. I'm just saying that a lot of them are sold with an optional visor... it's just that no one other than L*nce wears it!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Golden Bears United

no difference

Because of my head shape, I always have difficulty finding the right helmet that fits. My current helmet is a road one. It's actually a bit lighter and cooler, due to more air channel.

mtbr member
    y do roadies hate visor? is it for the same reason we hate pie plates, reflectors, kickstands?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    UVEX considered that helmet to be a MTB helmet.

I have two of them and love the fit. The visor does snap off. Pull the sides out first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    y do roadies hate visor? is it for the same reason we hate pie plates, reflectors, kickstands?
    I can't speak for roadies, but I don't like them while riding my road bike because with the leaned over riding position, the visor gets in the way of seeing down the road. You have to tilt your head back farther to see under the visor.

mtbr member
    Visor or no visor...if it's designed to protect your head...wear it.
    However, me being of a vain mountain bike nature...I have a visor on my helmet...

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I don't like them while riding my road bike because with the leaned over riding position, the visor gets in the way of seeing down the road. You have to tilt your head back farther to see under the visor.
    There's reason enough.

The helmet that I use for trails has a removable visor, and I think it said on the the box that it is recommended for road and MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I can't speak for roadies, but I don't like them while riding my road bike because with the leaned over riding position, the visor gets in the way of seeing down the road. You have to tilt your head back farther to see under the visor.
    I think that explains things very nicely. So visor means a more upright position = bad efficiency = noob. In the same way kickstands, reflectors, + pie plates = noob to us.

Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    I think that explains things very nicely. So visor means a more upright position = bad efficiency = noob. In the same way kickstands, reflectors, + pie plates = noob to us.
    gmcttr made a good point, and is a good reason why roadies don't like visors on their helmets. I don't think anyone will argue that road riders don't have a more efficient position. Of course us mountain bikers ride in a less aerodynamically efficient position, but this ≠ noob. At slower speeds this position just does not have as much effect.

local trails rider
    Ahhh, what is efficient on the road may be less so on rocky/rooty/steep trails.

One is not inferior to the other but there are clear differences. Like people may think that MTBers do scary stuff on trails. I think riding in a tight pack of roadies, going fast, would be scary

Members who have read this thread: 0