DH Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH Shoes

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004

DH Shoes

Ok everyone, I need your input.

What is a really good pair of shoes that are good for lots of walking, and I mean really steep walking, but yet are also good race shoes?

I hate getting blisters from my shoes, which means that I cannot get more runs in for the day. Where I come from there are no “chair lifts.”

Thanks, all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyBread

What is a really good pair of shoes that are good for lots of walking, and I mean really steep walking, but yet are also good race shoes?

I hate getting blisters from my shoes, which means that I cannot get more runs in for the day. Where I come from there are no “chair lifts.”

Thanks, all
    Clips or Flats?
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, all
    I would suggest you look for some kind of approach shoe. Maybe with the 5.10 sticky rubber on it. Intense are good, but you can payless if you get it from a company that has been making them for years. Also I wear Merrell shoes, can't beat 'em. A pair fo them usually lasts me about two years. Great shoes, and very comfortable. Hope this helps
    L8R
    Buck

Feb 2004

That depends..

..On ya pedals really, I assume that you arent using cleats, but I do know lots of downhillers who use cleats... yuck, well in my opinion anyway.
    I wear DCs with my Truvative Holzfelzer pedals, skate shoes rock for grip, find yourself a pair with a good tread that will swallow up the posts on your pedals. I have never had my foot slip and always have to make sure I have my foot in the right place before it needs to be because I cant just shuffle my foot around without takign the weight off the pedal.
    They are also comfortable as hell, have heaps of support and last really well. My last pair of shoes was a pair of adio's and they rock too.....

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would try a pair of Vans...

...and pick a pair with the waffle soles. They don't bother me when I use them for walking and they hook up awesome (with platform pedals) when riding. As well, they are quite tough and can easily last 2 seasons (well, at least mine do !).

I am going to try a new pair of Airwalk Punks (last years model), they seem to be similiar in comfort and grip, not sure about how long they will last.

I was at my LBS this weekend and also picked up a new pair of the Shimano DX shoes. Comfortable with good grip but REALLY stiff. I don't think these are going to loosen up too much for comfortable walking but my previous Shimano shoes did hold up for quite a long time and I am looking to these moreso for grip and "strength" rather than walking.

The old Intense shoes were supposed to be the best but they are not made anymore. I believe they are coming out with a new model for 2004 but the Intense website STILL isn't updated yet...

...just my $0.02 worth...

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004
    I am a clipless kind of guy, I like the bike to stay stuck to me nomatter what when I do DH.

pdh
    mtbr member
    661 offer a pair of spd shoes. The launch. the look & wear like a pair of vans

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am a clipless kind of guy, I like the bike to stay stuck to me nomatter what when I do DH.
    Adidas Hematomas, dog! Seriously though, they're sick shoes. Shimano made an awesome pair of shoes a few years back, I don't remember the designation, we all just called them Smurf boots. They were a sky-blue and white 3/4 top that looked like something from NASA. Anyway the Hematomas are the best ones available right now for real DH use. 661 Launch shoes are cool but more freeride oriented as there's no ankle support.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Jan 2004

I ride on oakley's..

They kick ass. There the most comfy flat shoe ive ever ridden. A bit pricey but worth every penny. Also check out vans the waffle soles on those are SOOO sticky its like gum and those are super comfy too. If you want clipless check out adidas hematoma as said before or the new shimano flat/clip shoe.

Pretty much any skate shoe is gunna work well in my opinion though.

Mar 2004
    theres also a couple of brands which make a seperate class of shoes for bmx which im sure would cross over to DH....theres a company called duffs and another called dvs...i wear adios right now and like mentioned before they hold up great and are super comfortable...hope this helps

Jan 2004

supa dupa man

BMW Shinburgers + Vans Rowleys = mmmmmmmm.

really, any of the waffle soled Vans will do.

bring a pedal along when you're looking for shoes.............the only way to be sure.

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004
    Hey, good idea that would make life a little easier

Live Life, Ride a Bike!

... and if we just ... Shimano MP66 (DX)

Thanks, all
    I got a pair of them and rock! Good grip, stable and very comfortable!!

Feb 2004

Idea! reply

for non clips i use etnies vallelys or mags but if you use clips go with the specialized sawpits they are realy nice plus they have carbon fiber ankle protection. they are pricey like $125--$148 but they are worth every cent. etnies are hard to find. Especially the mags which are for bmx. so I went with the vallelys.

Jan 2004
    I used my Circa Appleyards for a long time and they just now died, I'm trying to get another pair but untill then I have some Circa Muska's that seem to be alright.

USB Rep'n
    I wear Merrell's for really nasty stuff but prefer my Osiris Daze if the trails are ok. They are all leather uppers so they wear well adn grip like a mutha! As a bonus, they feel like IM wearing fuzzy little slippers on my feet. The DVS are really nice too but kinda pricey. Vans are a nice tradeoff for price and function as well.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Feb 2004

Axo Descend....

on special at SIXSIXONE.COM for $49.95 but size selection is limited. I don't think they make this shoe anymore, probably because they never really caught on with the dh crowd. BUT, I have a pair and will not wear anything but these for dh and freeride. Nice stiff sole that are spd comp. or work great with flats(i use'em with a-frames and they stick like glue), ankle support and protection(high top), no laces all velcro so they fit nice and snugg. I've used them for 2yrs. now and still goin strong. Check'em out!

dirTrat