DH Armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH Armor

Rider of the Faith

DH Armor

I have been looking at the Dainese armour and I found both the gladiator and the Safety Jacket are pretty sweet. I was wondering how important the chest plating is.....on the gladiator there is none...

and on the safety Jacket.......there is.....for 100 bucks more!!

Is the chest armor overkill or worth the extra money?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Musashi; 06-19-2006 at 02:26 AM. Reason: messed up on the pics (seeing Double) LOL

Jun 2006
    chest plating i think its worth it?

Freeriding Feline

Important!

I find the chest plate important but that's because I have to protect "the ladies!"

I would think anyone would like to save their ribs and inner chest area organs though....
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Rider of the Faith
    Thanx for your replies.....
    I know this is a "no-brainer" question. But I can get the Gladiator for less than 100 bucks and I will have to pay at least 300 bucks for the safety jacket. So.... the real question is how much a deal am I gonna get if I get cracked ribs because of a lack of padding. Anyone wear the gladiator?

mtbr member
    Gladiator! for the price! In all my years with it never once have I landed on my chest there. Knock on wood.

Jan 2004
    It looks like the one in the first pic has less armour and just soft padding in its place. I have landed face down on my chest sliding down a rocky trail and was thankfull for the armor. 100.00 is cheaper than an emergency room visit too.

Rider of the Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    It looks like the one in the first pic has less armour and just soft padding in its place. I have landed face down on my chest sliding down a rocky trail and was thankfull for the armor. 100.00 is cheaper than an emergency room visit too.
    Yeah....the first one is just soft padding so it makes me wonder...... I have bailed a few times but always landed on my side. If I go the full armour route I bet I will be more willing to push things a bit more so I will probably end up looking like your icon.

Your story alone has almost got me sold..........

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial
    chest plating i think its worth it?
    it is nice when you hear this evil grinding noise and get up and your jersey is all torn and you have no scratches because you were slidding on your chest plate

FOR THE BUCKS YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND I WOULD LOOK AT THIS

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3312
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Rider of the Faith
    Thanx Shiver....... but I`m over in Japan and I bet it would cost a bundle to have that armour sent over..... Hee hee
    Over here there is Six Six One , Dainese or a company called Komine.....ever hear of it?
    Even Fox Racing is rare!

Feb 2005
    I have the other view to be honest.....

I find that the ones with the chest plate are just too damn hot. You cook almost before you set off and there is no air-flow. In ten years I have never landed on my chest (touch wood) - so I acutally use the Dainese snowboard jacket (which is far more breathable and also has removable arms). I love that thing. You can wear just the spine guard, or the spine guard in the entirely mesh jacket (for the fit) either with or without the shoulders and arms.....super versatile. I find that I therefore wear the arm-less version with the spine far more than I otherwise would. For general free-ride/all day DH larking about etc, I therefore have the full face, knees and spine. The rest is nice, but makes it uncomfortable and hot for a whole day.

If you are "safety first" then get the chest plate though - you never know. And also get some hip pads......they are allways good in a bad spill......

It's always a compromise. For one, flat out DH, I would wear all I could and ignore the heat. For all day riding - I would rather compromise a little here and there for comforts sake.....but then I don't hit the ground that regularly either.

mtbr member

661 Pro Pressure Suit

I have the Dainese Safety NExt Jacket...and its wicked but pricey....this 661 jacket looks like a wicked deal

http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=240

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've been looking at all these suits, and I'll be wearing it primarily on lift served days, so I was thinking the breast plate would be a good idea, now it's down to budget. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind spending something in the $200 or below range.

ShiverMT, do you like that Azonic, it's gotten either rave or crap reviews... I think thats the one they were talking about....

Anyone else wear that Azonic, looks like a good buy and I like that wider spine protection.

kona-tize me captain
    dude, get the rockgarden armor. its cheaper and better. even if u cant gte it easily in japan. get it somehow!. but if u have to get the one wiht chest plate
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Oh, So Interesting!
    If you take sm, med, or xxl, the '05 Dainese Next is $279 at Cambria... '04 Gladiator is $169 for all sizes.

I just got a never used older Dainese Shuttle Suit Pro for $79 on ebay. Its the crappy lycra one, but I'm going to convert it into a jacket... I just didnt have the 3 bills for the next jacket I really want.

I would buy the Rockgardn (for the price) vs. the next jacket, though. They are $170 vs $400.

Mar 2006
    I'd say the chest plate is worth it since the main reasons I'd buy upper body armor for would be:
    Spinal protection
    Chest protection
    Shoulder protection

N* Bomber Crew
    I vote for "Worth It". If you're buying a entire protection suit, get it all. During Sea Otter I rode into a swamp and my front tire completley slipped out, and I FLEW off the bike over the handlebars into random bushes and a fence. I got up and laughed....thank you 661. If it wasn't for my Pressue Suit, those "Laughters" would be "OMFG's".
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    I have been looking at the Dainese armour and I found both the gladiator and the Safety Jacket are pretty sweet. I was wondering how important the chest plating is.....on the gladiator there is none...

and on the safety Jacket.......there is.....for 100 bucks more!!

Is the chest armor overkill or worth the extra money?

my friend peter (shook_dh) has the one with the chest armor and loves it. i was looking into getting that one myself when i get some benjamins...

Jun 2004
    Go w/ the Gladiator. ShoeGoo a piece of plastic over the padding and save $100.

not really a noob
    dainese are the best
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Members who have read this thread: 0