Desperate help with wide shoes- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

Desperate help with wide shoes

Hello all,

I am trying hard to find some wide shoes, SPD compatible.

I have tried the Lakes MX-101 XL and they are still not wide enough. Can someone with some experience give any tips/suggestions?

Cheers.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sidi makes several models in wide. Look for "Mega" in the name.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Am I getting too bulky?
    FWIW, the last pair of boots I bought are H width, and I have no problem getting into Sidi Dominator Mega. I've also been very happy with a pair of Shimano shoes in the past that unfortunately aren't made any longer, and I've found Diadora shoes that fit very well too. All these shoes are Italian coincidentally. Maybe not so coincidental, actually.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Jun 2004

I use Six Six One

Quote Originally Posted by Abouna
    Hello all,

I have tried the Lakes MX-101 XL and they are still not wide enough. Can someone with some experience give any tips/suggestions?

Cheers.
    I usually buy New Balance sneakers becasue they come in a 4E width, which is about the only comfortable sneakers I can find.

I tried on the Sidis Dominator 4 Mega, and they fit well, but cost $210 - which is way out of my price range. I bought some Six Six One's on REI.com on clearance for $40. They fit all right. So far, I have only used them in my fiance's spinning class, I haven't had a chance to get our in ride in a few weeks. They hurt a little after about an hour, but not worse than my hockey skates. I am hoping they will stretch some. I still hope to get Sidi's someday - maybe when my fiance gets a job.

Jun 2003

Sidi and Specialized.

Specialized shoes have a fairly wide toe box. Sisi and the "Mega" range sounds right up your alley, though. Get some Sidi's. You will not regret it. (just stay away from the SRS models.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I wear a 10EEE shoe and have been wearing Specialized shoes for awhile. They have been comfortable, durable, and most important, affordable.

There's no app for this.

9EEE and

have a buddy with wider ones; we both use these and they are fine.

Jim

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    have a buddy with wider ones; we both use these and they are fine.

Jim
    "Off-Road Sport/Touring Shoe" Love that description.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i have had the $210 sidi's that have gotten too wide after getting wet several times. they're about six months old. thinking about switching back to cheap shimano's that look like sneakers and soaking a few times and moldinig to my wide 10 1/2 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher7
    I usually buy New Balance sneakers becasue they come in a 4E width, which is about the only comfortable sneakers I can find.

I tried on the Sidis Dominator 4 Mega, and they fit well, but cost $210 - which is way out of my price range. I bought some Six Six One's on REI.com on clearance for $40. They fit all right. So far, I have only used them in my fiance's spinning class, I haven't had a chance to get our in ride in a few weeks. They hurt a little after about an hour, but not worse than my hockey skates. I am hoping they will stretch some. I still hope to get Sidi's someday - maybe when my fiance gets a job.

poser Administrator
    I have a pair of 10 4E feet and I have wrapped them in a pair of Sidi Dominator3Megas for the last 6 years. I have ridden the living daylights out of them they are still in one piece. I have worn the soles completely off and the uppers area still free of holes. I have never given them any care other than knocking mud off. They were a serious ***** to break in but they broke-in quickly and I never thought about them since. They are finally wearing out with some serious abrasion where my wide foot floats over the sole plate but I am still wearing them 3-4 times a week. I fear getting new ones but I have realized that I have to get a new pair before the old one wear out so that I can have a backup pair to use if my feet get too sore.

FWIW, I do not ride in wet condition but I do ride the incredibly abrassive Southwest.

If you do the math you will see that I spent $180 six years ago and I am still riding them so that equates to $30 per year. Worth it in my books.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    9.5EEE, wearing Diadora Geckos. I like 'em, and you can find them on sale right now at a number of places w/ generous return policies.

Jan 2004

Try the Lake MX220 WIDE!!

I, too, have the wide foot issue. No way I'm paying over $200 for MTB shoes (Shidi's)!! The Lake MX220's in WIDE which are on sale here: Lake MX220's at Performance Bike work absolutely perfect and feel great!!! I could actually buy the size shoe I wear instead of one larger for fit. Go with them!

ballbuster

Second the SIDIs

Quote Originally Posted by Abouna
    Hello all,

Cheers.
    I got wide feet too. I made the mistake of buying Sh¡mano shoes as my first pair, and my toes kept falling asleep. I got SIDI Dominator 4s three years ago, and they are comfy and durable with a nice big toe box. I couldn't be happier with them.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HPilot
    I, too, have the wide foot issue. No way I'm paying over $200 for MTB shoes (Shidi's)!! The Lake MX220's in WIDE which are on sale here: Lake MX220's at Performance Bike work absolutely perfect and feel great!!! I could actually buy the size shoe I wear instead of one larger for fit. Go with them!
    There are cheaper SIDI models available in MEGA size. Also consider the more expensive Sidi could outlast several pairs of cheaper shoes.