• 02-02-2007
    Darkhelmet
    5 Attachment(s)
    Darkhelmet's Q.A.W. v2.0 (Quiring Assault Weapon Version 2.0)
    Some of you might remember my sizing fiasco last November. If not, you can learn about it here.

    Anyway, after much head pounding, one sold Quiring, one bought Quiring and a few months of waiting, here is the final result. Frame weight is 3.0 lbs., but overall it's a little heavier because of heavier 3x9 cranks and more realistic tires.

    Helmet
  • 02-02-2007
    Wish I Were Riding
    Nice. What did this frame run you?
  • 02-02-2007
    TACSTS
    Looks awesome!

    Man, seeing your Ti 29r Quiring, and having worked with Scott on a custom steel road frame, makes me wish I'd have discovered his work before I got my Dean Colonel 29r EBB. Not that the Dean isn't a great bike, but...there's just something about custom bikes from small operations where you deal directly with the person that is going to cut and weld the tubes that I really dig.

    Congratulations again, I'm sure you'll soon find it was all worth the hassle to get the bike just as you wanted it.
  • 02-02-2007
    el-cid
    It's good to see the final resolution of this for you. That was a rough story the first time but it looks like it worked out in the long run.
  • 02-02-2007
    bigdrunk
    Also curious about a "ballpark" price for one of his custom Ti frames. I know I could talk to the man but probably best not to pull him away from the torch.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Nice. What did this frame run you?

  • 02-02-2007
    SBK
    Great looking bike, and a nice total build weight for a full gearie. I have a custom Ti frame going together at Scott's right now, mine with Paragon sliders. He does beautiful work, I may have seen your frame in his shop a week or so ago when I stopped by?

    Scott's custom Ti frames ran $1400 last year, although he mentioned that the price may be going up just a touch because of material cost increases with Ti. Best to speak to him directly for a quote, or send an email - he's quick on email response compared to most.
  • 02-02-2007
    bigdrunk
    Damn! Even with a price increase, thats a smoking deal.:thumbsup:


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SBK
    Scott's custom Ti frames ran $1400 last year, although he mentioned that the price may be going up just a touch because of material cost increases with Ti.

  • 02-02-2007
    Padre
    1 Attachment(s)
    Beautiful...
    it's like the favorite little brother to...
    (p.s. your photography skills more than make up for the size difference...)
  • 02-02-2007
    rensho
    That's so very nice.

    Would you post the cad drawing?

    Why is the frame almost a 1/2 lb lighter this go around, other than the shorter tt/dt?
  • 02-02-2007
    Bells Brewery MTB
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Padre
    Beautiful...
    it's like the favorite little brother to...
    (p.s. your photography skills more than make up for the size difference...)

    Qelicious..... very nice bike, both versions.
    Scott has been loaded with new bike orders ! He has been welding a big batch of custom Ti 29ers from his shop in Charlotte. His great work and reasonable prices are keeping him very busy these days. :rockon:
  • 02-03-2007
    Qfactor03
    Patience, patience...
    I started my order with Scott for a new ti frame a couple of weeks ago and should possibly see the first drawing in the near future. Scott is great to deal with, and thanks to Padre for the tempting photos that finally caused me to fall victim to the lust for ti. This one will be geared with a Reba to compliment my rigid SS SIR9.

    Glad to see you finally have the proper geo. Let us know how the ride is once you get some time on it.
  • 02-03-2007
    WarPigs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bells Brewery MTB
    great work and reasonable prices are keeping him very busy these days. :rockon:


    if all the builders apply this, i dont think anyone will close shop. provided they can still hold a torch. :)
  • 02-03-2007
    DWF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WarPigs
    if all the builders apply this, i dont think anyone will close shop. provided they can still hold a torch. :)

    Fine looking bike.

    Not to confuse the issue, but being "busy" does not equal being "profitable." It's the not being "profitable" part that puts lots of VERY BUSY builders out of business.
  • 02-03-2007
    tl1
    Looks more like a bicycle...
    ,,,than an "assault weapon" to me. A nice one too. :D
  • 02-03-2007
    LetsGoOutside
    What are those gorgeous looking chainrings hanging off of those arms and where can I find some?
  • 02-03-2007
    Qfactor03
    Boone Ti Rings
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside
    What are those gorgeous looking chainrings hanging off of those arms and where can I find some?

    http://www.boonerings.com/cr/cr.html
  • 02-04-2007
    Darkhelmet
    1 Attachment(s)
    Since this drawing I had Scott shorten the head tube length slightly and reduced the saddle to handlebar drop slightly with the bars.
  • 02-04-2007
    WarPigs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DWF
    Fine looking bike.

    Not to confuse the issue, but being "busy" does not equal being "profitable." It's the not being "profitable" part that puts lots of VERY BUSY builders out of business.

    agreed, they have to be profitable, or else, no point being busy. :)

    and no point NOT being busy, with no frames to build, by over-pricing themselves out of the market, but i don't think any builder is doing that. right?

    its a fine line indeed, and its entirely up to the business owner to put the price on his services.
  • 02-04-2007
    Darkhelmet
    Weight difference
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rensho
    That's so very nice.

    Would you post the cad drawing?

    Why is the frame almost a 1/2 lb lighter this go around, other than the shorter tt/dt?

    Weight difference is solely tube selection. Smaller diameter. Thinner walls. Scott wasn't terribly excited about trying to build my requested 3.1-lb frame the first go around (and, in fact, didn't), but I guess he's getting more comfortable with smaller tubes given this frame's weight.

    Honestly, I didn't get into the details of tubing diameter/wall thickness/butting with him on either build. Figured he knows more about what is required than I do.

    Put about 45 miles on it in the Santa Ana mountains yesterday and really enjoyed the ride. I've been an aluminum or scandium man for about 15 years and I think I've seen the light.
  • 02-05-2007
    metrotuned
    22 lbs. SICK!
  • 02-05-2007
    WTB-rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Padre
    Beautiful...
    it's like the favorite little brother to...
    (p.s. your photography skills more than make up for the size difference...)

    Where's Bella??? :confused: ;)
  • 02-05-2007
    Padre
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Where's Bella??? :confused: ;)

    If she were along on trailrides...she's find herself in all the wrong places all the time.:rolleyes: