Dark Helmet's new Q.A.W.(Quiring Assault Weapon)- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Dark Helmet's new Q.A.W.(Quiring Assault Weapon)

I'm posting these for Dark Helmet since he has a hard time finding the "any key" on his computer...fortunately, he's a bit more apt with a wrench and has finished assembling his new ti geared 29er from our find friend Scott Quiring. It's one of the lightest, suspension fork equipped big-wheelers I've seen...

p.s. frame size is about 17"/med

Get a napkin and dig in!

Bored
    I lack words. Wow.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

giddy up!
    Smart. Proportionate. Functional. Hot.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Stem and post don't match...
    Professional Amateur

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    eeewwww...the stem and post do not match! I like it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Stem and post don't match...
    you hadn't heard? when your stem and post together weigh less than one set of funny shaped handlebars...it's acceptable.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Ooooo, I gotta build me up one of those! I'll be sure to fix the stem/seatpost problem though. How much will it set me back?
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    you hadn't heard? when your stem and post together weigh less than one set of funny shaped handlebars...it's acceptable.
    Then form does follow function!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

giddy up!
    Shoot.....stem, post, saddle AND bar probably weigh less than some of the funky bars I've seen on here:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Holy Crap that's one mighty fine bike!

Wonder what something like that frame in steel would run?? Damn that's nice!!!

Holy Crap. What is the size of that big chainring?? Looks Ginormous!

mtbr member
    That's one hot Ti Steed with just the right amount of Red.

Reviewer/Tester
    Very nice build..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

Uhh, yea, it's beautiful but....

...it doesn't fit. You see, through a combination of pure stupidity and lack of attention to detail (on my part), the top tube is simply too long. Scott and I went back and forth on the drawing about 10 times on this bike and when I approved the final drawing I sent him the wrong attachment with the go-ahead to build it. And he did exactly as I asked.

Problem is, I told him to build drawing five, which is a version very far from the final spec. Its dimensions are here and it's officially available. I'm going to have him build me the right one this time. It's built for a light guy and it weighs 3.4 lbs. More images available.

Post here if you're interested. Or email me: [email protected]

Duh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhelmet
    ...it doesn't fit. You see, through a combination of pure stupidity and lack of attention to detail (on my part), the top tube is simply too long. Scott and I went back and forth on the drawing about 10 times on this bike and when I approved the final drawing I sent him the wrong attachment with the go-ahead to build it. And he did exactly as I asked.

Problem is, I told him to build drawing five, which is a version very far from the final spec. Its dimensions are here and it's officially available. I'm going to have him build me the right one this time. It's built for a light guy and it weighs 3.4 lbs. More images available.

Post here if you're interested. Or email me: [email protected]

Duh.
    That's a big "AW SNAP!" At what point did you realize the top tube was the wrong size?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

-bustin punks
    Edit: duh, stupid question.

JFGI.

p.s. still - nice bike - I'd gladly add whatever extra top tube you have to my current rig....
    Last edited by fatchanceti; 11-14-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Dang!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    That's a big "AW SNAP!" At what point did you realize the top tube was the wrong size?
    Yes, it's embarrasing, it sucks -- all that stuff. But it is a gorgeous frame in a fairly popular size so it's probably not a total loss. I'm posting the ad in classifieds shortly.

Errrr....

giddy up!
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

There you have it fellas......grab your wallets.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Always Learning
    Dang!
    Screw the stem and post not matching fashion faux pas. Uhhhh....they seem to be the least of the problems.....

On the other hand, I just about had the same type of problem with a $6000 kitchen counter top remodel when a mix up of which slabs of granite got crossed in the wires. Luckily, a double check by the installer prevented the problem from costing me a marriage.

Double check everything - twice to see who is being naughty and nice. Then repeat...

BB

mtbr member
    Yes, it's embarrasing, it sucks -- all that stuff. But it is a gorgeous frame in a fairly popular size so it's probably not a total loss. I'm posting the ad in classifieds shortly.

Errrr....

Pedaled it around for a few minutes and thought it felt long before I put the tape to it. Then I started crying...

banned
    Pedaled it around for a few minutes and thought it felt long before I put the tape to it. Then I started crying...
    Damn... it makes me want to cry.

Such a horrible and horribly understandably horrible mistake... Just horrible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nice cross bike.

Since it has many of the same attirbutes as my bike, I feel it nessessary to comment. I really like any attempt at a light build, great job!! Love it!!!

(they made fun of my bike and called it a cross bike, must be because mine had a negitive rise stem.)

We're nearly identical on wieght, can you list a build list?

This place needs an enema
    Josh-

I don't know your height, reach, inseam, or any of that stuff. But to me, that drawing looks darn close to ideal--you've just got too much stem!

I find that a looong TT (~24.4") and a short stem (~90mm) make a 29" bike handle much, much better than with a traditional shorter TT/long stem combo.

Try it out--borrow a ~90mm stem from Donkey and ride it. Despite the fact that it's not what you'd planned on getting, it may turn out better.

All is not lost. It's definitely worth a try.

MC

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

DOOh!!!....

Crikie! THAT sucks.

Well now I'll be FEARING a simular fate with my Carl Strong - He has and we are settled on the measurements - I just hope like hell MY OWN measurements [checked 100 times over] are right.

I hope you don't take it in the arse on the resale.

good luck...

PS I second the support of your stem/post choice. The only things on a bike that need to match are wheels, peddles, grips and brakes....IMO
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

Front Range Cyclist
    yummy
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

Try it out--borrow a ~90mm stem from Donkey and ride it. Despite the fact that it's not what you'd planned on getting, it may turn out better.

MC
    Good call Mike.

Josh, seems that Mike has some good input....
    Looks like Salsa makes the same incredibly light stem in 90mm.
    http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_stems.html

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Josh-

I don't know your height, reach, inseam, or any of that stuff. But to me, that drawing looks darn close to ideal--you've just got too much stem!

I find that a looong TT (~24.4") and a short stem (~90mm) make a 29" bike handle much, much better than with a traditional shorter TT/long stem combo.

MC

I was going to suggest the same thing. How tall are you? I am 6' 1" with a 24.5 top tube and a 90mm stem, and I am very happy with the fit. On another note, Race Face makes their Deus stem in a 70mm and 90mm lenghts. Changing the stem could save you tons of money in the long run, and you would be riding that pimpy bike! A second note, The Fisher has a top tube of 24.48 on their Ferrous.
    Last edited by Oliver; 11-14-2006 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Definitely try it with a shorter stem before anything else.

i don't give a shift
    Very nice! That's my kind of bike! Hey, what bolt-on skewer is that in the back? Seems to have a pretty long bolt, something I've been looking for with my thick dropouts on the Niner.
    blogging @29in.CH

DiscoCowboy

fit is personal

but I'm 5' 9" with a 31" inseam and I spec a 23.5" EFTT on my bikes, I also run a 120mm stem with Jones bars. I know I'm more arms than legs but sometimes what is right and what you're used to are two different things.

Josh-

MC

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8.5". Problem is I'm all legs: 88.2 cm inseam.

I know there's a whole contingent who thinks long TTs with short stems are great. I got a deposit on the frame already so I'm sorta commited at this point, but I'll see if I can find a short stem before it goes away just to satisfy curiousity.

Recovering couch patato
    Other things that cut excess length from a cockpit :
    - longer fork (20mm more travel = ~12mm less reach as you'll asjust the seat for it)
    - longer cranks (each mm work ~1:1 or better for you, again the seat)

breathing helium
    That looks like a great bike! Too bad on the fit issue. It would fit me perfectly! I wish I needed another bike. It will make someone VERY happy.

mtbr member
    That's a great looking ride, but I'm sorry to hear it's not quite right for you...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Other things that cut excess length from a cockpit :
    - longer fork (20mm more travel = ~12mm less reach as you'll asjust the seat for it)
    - longer cranks (each mm work ~1:1 or better for you, again the seat)
    Jones bars will bring you back and a forward facing setback seatpost with the saddle slammed all the way forward will push you up. It'll be ugly as sin, but ... nevermind. It'll be ugly as sin

I bought two ti bikes before that didn't fit properly, although they weren't custom. I suffered on one of them for years, telling myself the backaches would go away. You are much smarter than me!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I was going to suggest the same thing. How tall are you? I am 6' 1" with a 24.5 top tube and a 90mm stem, and I am very happy with the fit. On another note, Race Face makes their Deus stem in a 70mm and 90mm lenghts. Changing the stem could save you tons of money in the long run, and you would be riding that pimpy bike! A second note, The Fisher has a top tube of 24.48 on their Ferrous.
    If the ETT on the custom ti frame is 24.59 with ST and HT of 73 and 72, that's close to the same size as the XL Surly Karate Monkey which has an ETT of 24.9. Actually, it is right in the middle of being between a L and an XL Monkey. 24.3 ETT for the L and 24.9 for the XL - so the 24.59 would be between those 2 sizes. Of course, a lot more seat post would be exposed on the Quiring Ti 18" frame, but it looks like it would be very similar in cockpit size as an L or an XL Monkey. Certainly a lot of size guys could fit on that Ti frame and dial in a fit. It's also very, very similar in size to the Niner size L.

Hmmmmm.........do I need a Ti frame?

Slap!!

I guess not at this time.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 11-15-2006 at 08:04 AM.

mtbr member
    FWIW - the stem/post thang is a Padre, not Soupboy, edict.

Try out a 90mm CF stem to match that post before selling that beaut'.
    Professional Amateur

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Jones bars will bring you back and a forward facing setback seatpost with the saddle slammed all the way forward will push you up. It'll be ugly as sin, but ... nevermind. It'll be ugly as sin
    In stead of Jones bars you might as well swap the stem for a shorter one, same basic effect on fit. A more forward seat position is just that, an imperfect seat position for the rider.
    I think my ideas were better, although small and complicated measures :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Members who have read this thread: 0