"Cycling Shoes"- Mtbr.com

Thread: "Cycling Shoes"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

"Cycling Shoes"

Ok, so I ride my bike with Nike trail runners. I notice that if I ride through water I lose grip on my pedals and that seems rather dangerous. 1. Do those hard soled "cycling shoes"--y'know the ones that kind of look like soccer cleats with velcro--help with this? 2. What else can I do to help this situation (besides riding with a towel in my camel back, smart arse)?

I post too much.
    I personally like skateboard shoes on flat pedals.

Other options would be 5.10's impact(I believe that's wait they are called). I hear those grip insanely well and are comfy too.

mtbr member
    quit riding on flat pedals, go clipless, i like Times
    WARNING: Riding with improperly adjusted brakes or bake pads is dangerous and can result in serious injury or death.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire
    Clipless is not for everyone nor for every type of riding.

Nov 2006
    Something with flat soles and little tread, like Vans or the good ol' standard Converse shoes supposedly grip well, but flat-soled shoes made for biking would probably be more rigid. You can also look at flat pedals with a bit more tooth or some of the good sets with pins.

mtbr member

ok

Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    I personally like skateboard shoes on flat pedals.

Other options would be 5.10's impact(I believe that's wait they are called). I hear those grip insanely well and are comfy too.

The 510 sole is made for climbing and while you might be able to find a way to make it work (some chaco's come with a 510 sole) they will wear our rather quickly becuase the rubber is so soft. ( i can stand on a very steep wet rock with the choco's on though and they don't slip )

If you are riding XC, then clipless is def a huge upgrade and you won't have to worry about slipping. If i could go back to when i started with clipless, i would ignor everything and get a pair of Sidi's. I went through a ton of other shoes and Sidi's are by far and away the best and they last forever.

Just my $.02
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

There's no app for this.

try these

a favourite on the Norshore, sticky soles that are durable too. they've been a real hit here, where staying on your bike, and zero slipping, is a must.

Five Ten Impact Cycling Shoes (high or low cut)

Good luck, Jim

Coors, the american beer.
    skateboard shoes on flats for the win thats how i ride my dh bike
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire
    I agree. Clipless will keep you feet on the pedals where they belong. I like eggbeaters.

( o Y o ) 's!!
    If you've some cash to blow, give clipless a try. Otherwise, invest in some spiky flats with a flat sole shoe. I've always used Vans with their original tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'm going to stay away from clipless for the time being. I find myself hopping off my bike a lot on the trails I ride. I'm going to check out some Vans (ahh, memories of riding my skateboard to my girlfriend's house in 1986). Style is a consideration afterall.

May 2006
    Def. go with the 5/10s. Theyre so freekin' grippy you'll think you got goo on your shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Changed my mind. I went clipless. the guys at the trail I like to ride convinced me. I was slipping and sliding and bouncing off my pedals pretty bad. I tried out the clipless and they felt great. Hopping off is not a problem--got the tension set at the lowest level.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good for you! But you need to know that there is still going to be an awkward stage while learning to go clipless, like falling over in the parkin lot, or coming to a stop on the trail and you go to unclip your right foot, but you fall over to your left into a bunch of stinging nettles etc. etc.

Point is to stick with it and usually after about a half dozen rides, you should have it down pat.

Good luck

mtbr member
    hey! thats what i said!
    WARNING: Riding with improperly adjusted brakes or bake pads is dangerous and can result in serious injury or death.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Point taken about getting used to clipless. Iím going to stick to easy paved and gravel trails for a good week or so. I kind of need a break from the more technical areas where Iíve been riding anyway. I definitely donít want to eat it while being stuck to my bike. I went over the handlebars this weekend and could see how I would not want to be clipped in at that very moment.

Iím going to switch out my platform pedals if I do end up going to the harder trails until Iím very used to the clipless. Kind of a pain, but better than tipping over into a cactus or worse.

ballbuster

I might also suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedals Fastly
    Ok, so I ride my bike with Nike trail runners. I notice that if I ride through water I lose grip on my pedals and that seems rather dangerous. 1. Do those hard soled "cycling shoes"--y'know the ones that kind of look like soccer cleats with velcro--help with this? 2. What else can I do to help this situation (besides riding with a towel in my camel back, smart arse)?
    Different pedals if you're not going clipless. Some DH type flats might do you better than the caged type pedals.

Like this kind:

Members who have read this thread: 0