Cycling jacket for winter/wet condition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cycling jacket for winter/wet condition

Went out for trail biking today, weather was about 5C, had a bit of rain in the middle. Guess I dressed enough but I had the wrong gear

My jacket was great for keeping the rain out, but my back was sweating crazy after some uphill cranking! Got back into the car, the inside of the whole jacket was sweating like crazy. Worst than outside with the rain, I couldn't believe it.

Trail riding is new to me and I've never had any real sport so I don't know much about how to dress properly for winter biking. After reading, I understand layering is very important so it's easy to take off if getting warm. For a cycling jacket, I found some which would stop the wind coming into the body, and yet breathable? That sounds like what I need, but how good is it really? I was at a shop today and some of them are like over $200, I'd get it but just not sure how good it would be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I ride Showers Pass jackets and they work well for me. I live in WAY Northern California where we get loads of rain from about now until Spring... hence the tall trees.

Even with zip vents, screened flaps, and whatnot, I still sweat when wrapped in a shell. Layering is great to help move the moisture mostly away from your skin, but I've never found anything that keeps me completely dry from sweat or the rain. I mainly just want to keep warm enough during the ride and even more so when I stop.

My personal experience is that even Gore-Tex cannot keep up with vigorous physical activity such as mountain biking.
    This may be different for other folks though.

But I still like my Showers Pass jackets