Crank Bros. Mallets, and Skate style shoes.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

Crank Bros. Mallets, and Skate style shoes.

I want to get some "skate style" cycling shoes, like the SixSixOne's. I also want to get the Mallet C's from Crank Bros. as I don't want to have to wear my cycling shoes if I need to ride to the store.

My concern is about the skate style shoes, with the Mallets. Do they have isssues cliping in or out? Do they catch on the sole's of the shoes very easily? I would think, for MT riding, I could take off the steel cleats that they put on, just to make sure they don't catch on the soles. Then, I could just put them back on, if I need to go to the store in my sandals or whatever.

I just don't want to end up shaving a bunch off the soles of the shoes.

Any comments? Should I look into something different? Etc. I'm used to riding with skate shoes, so I'd love to keep the feeling, and style overall.

Also, with skate style cycling shoes, do the cleats stick out the bottom? Will I be able to walk on pavement with them, like in a store or something? Or do they tap tap tap all around.

Thanks a lot,
    Plink

cool dude
    if you take the plates off and you just want to ride to the store you won't need to put the plates back on, it wouldn;t be worth the effort if you jsut need a place to put your foot. yes the cleats will stick out of the bottoms of your shoes, you can't wear cleated shoes like regular shoes.

Time is not a road.
    Yes, the cleat isn't out far enough to clip in smoothly. I had to take a pair of shoes back because I couldn't clip in to my Mallets.

Jan 2005
    Hmm. What shoes do you Mallet users use mostly? I guess my biggest concern would be walking on dirt for instances when I get off and walk around, or have to pick my bike up, etc. I would guess that even though the cleat sticks out a little, it would still be okay for this.

For flat ground like concrete though, it definitely will scrape the ground and all that?

Do any of you actually use skate style shoes with mallets? Maybe I'll have to look into something different.

Thanks,
    Plink

cool dude
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Yes, the cleat isn't out far enough to clip in smoothly. I had to take a pair of shoes back because I couldn't clip in to my Mallets.
    you have to trim the soles on a lot of shoes with mallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinkerton
    Hmm. What shoes do you Mallet users use mostly? I guess my biggest concern would be walking on dirt for instances when I get off and walk around, or have to pick my bike up, etc. I would guess that even though the cleat sticks out a little, it would still be okay for this.

For flat ground like concrete though, it definitely will scrape the ground and all that?

Do any of you actually use skate style shoes with mallets? Maybe I'll have to look into something different.

Thanks,
    Plink
    when you walk in any clipless shoe the cleat touches the ground.

Recovering couch patato
    My Mallets work with all my shoes, from super-racey to sneakers. But my buddy on his race shoes (one model below my top Shimano's) didn't manage to get into them without a lot of hassle. Hmm...
    In the beginning it took some getting used to, but I think they work with all the shoes I use. How about a thin SPD 8-shaped thingy under the cleat? I need a dozen of those anyway because my Eggs seem to eat my soles.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Time is not a road.
    Instead of trimming the soles I just took them back and got a pair of race type shoes. They work fine now. I suppose it depends on how committed to the shoe you are, how comfortable, how good they look.

Jan 2005
    I'd trim the sole a little bit if I had to, but I don't want to be cutting huge chunks of rubber off the bottom. I guess I'll just ask at the store if anyone has any issues with those pedals and certain shoes, and if I can return them if they absolutely just won't fit.

Cloxxki, do you use skate type shoes? If so, what brand? I guess if all your shoes work, I'll probably get something to work with minimum hassle. I'll go check today, what they have at the store. I think all they had were the SixSixOne Launch shoes.

Thanks,
    Plink

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkerton

Thanks,
    Plink
    I dunno man. I bought Mallets for my freeride-DH-type rig and I can't for the life of me ride unclipped. In retrospect, I suppose I wasted my money on the pedals, but big 7 inch travel bikes look foolish with eggbeaters, so I guess I'm keeping them.

Jan 2005
    I have another question. I just got the 661 Launch shoes today, and they fit great. One thing I noticed, as I am completely inexperienced with clipless shoes, is that the built in cleat backing, or whatever it's called, is moveable on one shoe, but not on the other.

There are 2 slots, on each shoe, with a metal backing behind it, with 4 threaded holes. The metal part can slide up and down along the slots, with the threaded holes sticking out. It seems pretty normal, and I would assume is for adjustment. With one not moving though, I'm not sure if they are supposed to move, or not supposed to move.

If they are supposed to move, maybe the one that doesn't move will "break" free with a little tension on it.

So, which way is normal?

Thanks a lot,
    Plink

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    They should move so you can adjust the cleat position. One is just stuck. Normal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jan 2005
    Wow, what a fast response. You guys are great.

Thanks a lot,
    Plink

Jan 2005
    Thanks for all your responses. To recap, I used the 661 shoes today, with the Mallets, and it was great. I'm using one shim, and they don't hit the tread or anything. I fell twice today from not being able to clip out, but I figured that's not bad for my first experience with clipless.

Thanks again,
    Plink

Dex
    mtbr member
    I just ordered a pair of Tiburons from 661to use with my Mallet Cs.
    I liked the looks of the Launch. But thought the Tiburons would be better for the trails.
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

Jan 2005
    Yeah, those do look pretty cool actually.